Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

Their missiles supposedly don't have the capability to reach deep inside the US, but they might be able to hit Alaska, and definitely Hawaii. The West Coast is the most vulnerable.

We do have the defenses necessary to fend the missiles off, but they're not 100% reliable.

Um, fantastic for main land USA. Now what about China, Japan, SK, Russia, etc, etc, etc.

Um, fantastic for main land USA. Now what about China, Japan, SK, Russia, etc, etc, etc.

I honestly wonder if Russia or one of the others may launch something on NK before us. I do fear we may have to do something drastic.

Fun fact: NK give college credits to students who pelt US soldiers with garbage,mud,etc near the border. My boss' son is over there and she told me.

AFP: North Korean Army has approval to launch "mercilesss" nuclear strike on U.S. involving possible use of "cutting edge" nuclear weapons

3:53 PM

Either they are doing their very best to goad us into striking first so they can play the victim card or they really have lost their collective minds and may actually start a war. I'm glad I'm on the east coast.

I cant help but remember the lefties who for years fought against a missile defense system. I wonder how they feel now.

I'm glad I'm on the east coast.

We have nothing to worry about. I haven't seen any reports or stories showing any kind of long range ballistic capability. Guam probably needs a defensive grid, but from what I can tell their missiles are only good for a couple hundred miles...(Its roughly 2000 miles to Guam....4000 miles to Hawaii...West coast should be good.)

The real problem is the intel that we had that they would target US, ROK forces, and civilian targets in South Korea with artillery. 2 minutes and the entire southern peninsula is smoldering....that is what worries me.

EDIT: Just found a site: http://armscontrolcenter.org/publications/factsheets/fact_sheet_north_korea_nuclear_and_missile_programs/

The 'best' delivery system the NK currently have is good for about 2500 mi:

•Musudan-1 – intermediate range ballistic missile (IRBM); range 2,500-4,00 km [6] capable of direct strikes on South Korea, Japan, and Guam putting U.S. military bases at risk[7]; variant of Nodong; surface-to-air missile (SAM) system; most advanced missile delivery system; acquired in 2007.
Edited by DaGoonie55

They won't attack China

Japan, SK are all viable targets but if they even think of attacking either, things are going to get very ugly for them

I doubt NK wants to feel the full wrath of American forces

I feel that this is mostly talk but you never know what might happen, they might be stupid enough to actually attack. And then they gonna get got

We have nothing to worry about. I haven't seen any reports or stories showing any kind of long range ballistic capability. Guam probably needs a defensive grid, but from what I can tell their missiles are only good for a couple hundred miles...(Its roughly 2000 miles to Guam....4000 miles to Hawaii...West coast should be good.)

The real problem is the intel that we had that they would target US, ROK forces, and civilian targets in South Korea with artillery. 2 minutes and the entire southern peninsula is smoldering....that is what worries me.

EDIT: Just found a site: http://armscontrolcenter.org/publications/factsheets/fact_sheet_north_korea_nuclear_and_missile_programs/

The 'best' delivery system the NK currently have is good for about 2500 mi:

What you found are *estimates* of capabilities on a website. It may be correct, or NK may be way ahead of where we thought and that's why they are acting so confident.

I think that anyone who pretends to know exactly what North Korea is and isn't capable of is fooling themselves. Our intelligence agencies are not all-knowing.

Kim either knows something we don't, or he's not really the one calling the shots anymore.

I think that anyone who pretends to know exactly what North Korea is and isn't capable of is fooling themselves. Our intelligence agencies are not all-knowing.

Kim either knows something we don't, or he's not really the one calling the shots anymore.

I agree with the first part of this post, all we can do is speculate but none of us knows for sure.

What scares me most is that Kim Jong Un may be an Adam Lanza with nukes.

http://nation.time.com/2013/04/03/current-top-pentagon-official-urged-bombing-north-koreawhen-he-was-on-the-sidelines/

Current Top Pentagon Official Urged Bombing North Korea…When He Was on the Sidelines

In one of those strange twists of fate TV writers love, Ashton Carter, the current deputy secretary of defense, advocated bombing North Korea seven years ago when he was safely in his bunker at Harvard University.

Along with Clinton-era defense secretary William Perry, Carter urged in Time in 2006 that the George W. Bush Administration conduct a “surgical strike” on a North Korean missile as it was readied for launch:

http://www.voanews.com/content/decoding-north-korea-kim-jong-un/1634053.html

What's Behind North Korea's Bluster?

For the past week, the world has been hearing almost daily threats and belligerent statements from North Korea.

While this kind of talk is not new for the government in Pyongyang, the pace and pitch of the recent pronouncements stand out. To help add perspective to these developments, VOA turned to its correspondent in Seoul, Steve Herman, and asked what might be behind Pyongyang's escalating war of words.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/03/us-korea-north-nuclear-idUSBRE93217K20130403

North Korea can likely revive reactor in six months, needs years for more bombs

North Korea can probably restart a mothballed plutonium-producing reactor in six months if it is determined to do so and the site has suffered no major structural damage, but it may take years to produce significant new atom bomb material.

Pyongyang announced on Tuesday that it would revive the aged Yongbyon five-megawatt research reactor that yields bomb-grade plutonium, but stressed it was seeking a deterrent capacity and did not repeat recent threats to attack South Korea and the United States.

Several nuclear experts familiar with North Korea's program said it would probably take the North Koreans about half a year to get the Yongbyon research reactor up and running, provided it has not suffered significant damage from neglect.

Edited by visionary

I agree with the first part of this post, all we can do is speculate but none of us knows for sure.

What scares me most is that Kim Jong Un may be an Adam Lanza with nukes.

This is from a few pages back....

Let me give you exhibit A.

644378_10151593723736803_142541377_n.png

and

Exhibit B..

north-koreas-secret-weapon.jpg

Most importantly.....Exhibit C.

Let me ask you, have you ever used a pair of binoculars? ...What did you see? :ols:

000_hkg8324362.si.jpg

This is from a few pages back....

Let me give you exhibit A.

and

Exhibit B..

Most importantly.....Exhibit C.

Let me ask you, have you ever used a pair of binoculars? ...What did you see? :ols:

And just what is it you think those pictures prove?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/04/us-korea-north-missile-idUSBRE93301S20130404

North Korea seen moving mid-range missile to east coast: reports

North Korea has moved what appears to be a mid-range Musudan missile to its east coast, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said on Thursday, quoting multiple government sources privy to intelligence from U.S. and South Korean authorities.

It was not clear if the missile was mounted with a warhead or whether the North was planning to fire it or was just putting it on display as a show of force, one South Korean government source was quoted as saying.

"South Korean and U.S. intelligence authorities have obtained indications the North has moved an object that appears to be a mid-range missile to the east coast," the source said.

The Musudan missile is believed to have a range of 3,000 km (1,875 miles) or more, which would put all of South Korea and Japan in range and possibly also the U.S. territory of Guam in the Pacific Ocean. North Korea is not believed to have tested these mid-range missiles, according to most independent experts

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/04/us-korea-north-kaesong-idUSBRE93302D20130404

North Korea blocks access to industrial park for second day

North Korea barred entry to a joint industrial complex it shares with the South for a second day on Thursday, the South Korean Unification Ministry said, but would allow 222 South Korean workers to leave the zone through the day.

However, after the 22 South Korean workers leave between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. (0100-0800 GMT), another 606 South Korean workers will remain in the Kaesong complex.

North Korea has threatened to shut the complex, one of the impoverished North's few sources of ready cash, as part of a tense standoff with Seoul and Washington.

"222 South Korean workers will leave (Kaesong) at the time of their choice along with 131 vehicles," said Park Soo-jin, a spokeswoman at the ministry. The gates between North and South Korea will open for the workers 10 times on Thursday.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324100904578400833997420280.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

U.S. Dials Back on Korean Show of Force
Edited by visionary

When we used floppy discs prolifically in the 1980s we had the capability to blow up the earth 100xs over

Did you see the dudes pushing the row boat?

I'm not saying he is not crazy enough to try, I'm saying it won't take long to wipe any capabilities out once he does try.

https://twitter.com/mpoppel

REU: NORTH KOREA TELLS FIRMS IN KAESONG INDUSTRIAL ZONE TO FINISH

PULL OUT BY APRIL 10 - YONHAP

9:57 PM

REU: S.KOREA FIRMS ASKING NORTH TO EXTEND KAESONG PULLOUT UNTIL APRIL

13 - EXECUTIVE

10:00 PM

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2013/04/04/41/0200000000AEN20130404005700315F.HTML

Seoul denies report of N.K. demand for S. Koreans' withdrawal from Kaesong

The Unification Ministry on Thursday denied a media report alleging North Korea's demand for the withdrawal of South Korean workers from the Kaesong Industrial Complex by April 10, saying the report was based on misunderstanding of a notice from the North.

Edited by visionary

I'm not saying he is not crazy enough to try, I'm saying it won't take long to wipe any capabilities out once he does try.

We have rowboats too. We just flew in a bomber to the region that dates from 1955

We have rowboats too. We just flew in a bomber to the region that dates from 1955

I think we still have a few operable Iron Birds (F-105 Thunderchiefs) that we could use for the light lifting.

Edited by Jumbo

So you see that picture and you have made up your mind that N Korea doesn't have serious military capabilities? Your a journalist aren't you? :ols:

While not as entertaining as your pictures you may want to do a little reading before demonstrating your ignorance of the subject. Here, I'll help...

http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=27769

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People's_Army#Weapons

http://www.icks.org/publication/pdf/2012-SPRING-SUMMER/8.pdf

---------- Post added April-4th-2013 at 03:22 AM ----------

Am I the only one laughing at basically everything the PRK has said these past couple of months?

Yeah, the possibility of millions of people dying is just hilarious.