Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

37 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

A lot of those plays were broken switches and tough makes where Curry gave an effort you can be fine with as a coach.  He was icing pick and rolls and slowing the roll man like he's supposed to, the offensive player just pulled up and made a good shot.

He's not a great defensive presence but Curry plays smart and he does his job and their system is excellent. Yes he is put in an ideal position to succeed and no he's not nearly as talented a defender as Wall.  But he works harder than Wall and it pays off in more consistent results.

exactly. This is all I have ever said.

25 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Talking about we gotta do better and you posted a vid where someone called him ELITE LOL. 

Did you actually watch the video? Have you watched any of Basketball Breakdown videos? I can assure you that there is nothing like "Curry Cant" like that channel. So yes, please do better.

26 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Steph gives 100% on the defensive end of the floor.  He tries VERY hard.  However, it doesn't account for anything more than him being average.

We have spent pages discussing this, and you finally agree with me. Cheers.

Curry is a better point guard than Wall. That is all.

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

exactly. This is all I have ever said.

Did you actually watch the video? Have you watched any of Basketball Breakdown videos? I can assure you that there is nothing like "Curry Cant" like that channel. So yes, please do better.

We have spent pages discussing this, and you finally agree with me. Cheers.

Curry is a better point guard than Wall. That is all.

You're patting yourself on the back for something I been saying...HE'S AVERAGE. 

And no, I did not watch the video.  However the title is "Why Steph Curry is an Elite Defender."  Am I missing something between the title and what the video is actually about?  Want to break down what it means to be "elite?"  Maybe you can do better with your definition since the video has a misleading title. 

I say yes to trading Porter for Paul George.  It'd take some pretty significant adjustment on George's part, but I think he, Wall, and Beal could figure out how to make it work.  LeBron and Wade were much more incompatible but great players figure out how to play together.  George would give us so much firepower that we could just force teams to score with us.

I probably say yes to trading Otto for Cousins, but its a very grudging ascent.  I don't like the idea of giving up Porter for Cousins when New Orleans gave up so much less and he wasn't an expiring either.  A good GM figures out how to get Cousins without losing Porter.  I also don't like losing an uber consistent and reliable Porter for a volatile guy like Cousins.  If we trade Porter for Cousins, I want something else in return.  I want them taking Mahinmi, or I want another asset.

I'm intrigued by the idea of trading Porter for Blake Griffin and I probably say yes.  But part of me is scared that Griffin is headed for a huge drop off soon.  And you create a shooting problem on the wing if you trade him for a big that's a non-shooter.

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

And no, I did not watch the video.  However the title is "Why Steph Curry is an Elite Defender."  Am I missing something between the title and what the video is actually about?  Want to break down what it means to be "elite?"  Maybe you can do better with your definition since the video has a misleading title. 

It is a misleading title, but the video does a solid job of breaking down the things Curry does well on defense, and it does so in a professional way.  It shows how he is successful in that system.  It doesn't really give you any context beyond what Curry is doing in that scheme, but it makes the case for him being a reliable defender who does his job well within the system of a really good defense.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It is a misleading title, but the video does a solid job of breaking down the things Curry does well on defense, and it does so in a professional way.  It shows how he is successful in that system.  It doesn't really give you any context beyond what Curry is doing in that scheme, but it makes the case for him being a reliable defender who does his job well within the system of a really good defense.

Without watching the vid and going off of what I see from Curry, I think he does do well within the context of the defensive scheme of what the Warriors run.  However, we can't discount the contributions on the interior from guys like Draymond, Iggy, Bogut (at the time,) and now Durant.  All guys who are elite or near the top defensively.  Having a great overall TEAM defense does wonders.  Especially for sub-par to average defensive players.  Team defense > individual.  Simple as that.  Knowing you can take risks/gambles because the strength of your overall unit will pick up where you may have had misstep is such a bonus.  Other players around the league don't have that same luxury that the Warriors do.  This is mostly the reason why I think Golden State has a great chance at winning the finals in 5 games.  This team is built like no other in the history of the league.  Amazing offense and defense. 

Also in regards to the Wizards...good on Wall for essentially forcing the WIzards hand.  I think we do see some sort of big move made this offseason to appease him.  Whether it's Boogie, PG13, or Blake, I have a feeling that we'll actually have a legit big-3 to start next season. 

14 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Knowing you can take risks/gambles because the strength of your overall unit will pick up where you may have had misstep is such a bonus

This is why you should have watched the video.

the majority of the video showed Curry sticking to his defender ever after screens, how quick his feet are, his strength, how he changes angles to force bad shots, and how he uses his body to defend well. Curry has good technique as a defender. It didn't show much of him taking high risks or gambling on defense. I don't think he is elite but he isn't garbage or a liability.

lastly, who took credit away from Draymond, Iggy, and Klay for their defense?

The Wizards should stand pat this season. Make the playoffs and do what they have to do to bring Cousins in next season. Do not trade any draft picks as we will need those picks to get Cousins in 2018.

we can use Gortat and Mahinmi contracts as bait along with our first rounders.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

This is why you should have watched the video.

the majority of the video showed Curry sticking to his defender ever after screens, how quick his feet are, his strength, how he changes angles to force bad shots, and how he uses his body to defend well. Curry has good technique as a defender: I don't think he is elite but he isn't garbage or a liability.

lastly, who took credit away from Draymond, Iggy, and Klay for their defense?

Again, he tries VERY hard.  Doesn't take away from him being an average overall defender. 

And no one took anything away from Draymond, Iggy, and Klay for their defense...it's just their abilities help mask some of Curry's limitations.  Those three are elite, or near to it at their respective positions. 

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Again, he tries VERY hard.  Doesn't take away from him being an average overall defender. 

And no one took anything away from Draymond, Iggy, and Klay for their defense...it's just their abilities help mask some of Curry's limitations.  Those three are elite, or near to it at their respective positions. 

Like I said earlier, a lot of people think Curry is a liability defender because of his appearance and his style of play.

Thats it. He is at worst an average defender, but the guy is not a problem for them. They don't hide him or anything. He just flat out is not a liability. 

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

Like I said earlier, a lot of people think Curry is a liability defender because of his appearance and his style of play.

Thats it. He is at worst an average defender, but the guy is not a problem for them. They don't hide him or anything. He just flat out is not a liability. 

He's not a liability due to how good the overall team defense is for the Warriors.  Within the context of that defensive scheme, he's fine.  Put him on just about any other team in the league, where there aren't 3 other elite defensive players on the floor with him at all times, he'd be food. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2017 at 8:51 AM, Kosher Ham said:

I don't know where AI disappeared to. I used to see him all the time. Right after he got HOF status he has vanished. 

Apparently, he's wasting his money at the MGM at The National Harbor. People have seen him up there multiple times.

21 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Apparently, he's wasting his money at the MGM at The National Harbor. People have seen him up there multiple times.

Iverson, if I'm not mistaken, gets 800k per year from Reebok.  Then he gets a lump-sum payout of 32 mil when he's 55. 

• Like 2

Giving Porter a max contract would be a huge mistake.... please don't compare it to Beal's situation.

If somehow there was a Cousins for Porter trade, I jump all over that and run. You are fooling yourself if you think Porter is more valuable or better than Cousins

I'd try to trade Porter and Gortat for Cousins. Mahimi as a backup well because we are stuck with him

Resign Bogs, sign a GOOD backup PG, and a good shooting SF for the bench.

Wall

Beal

Oubre

Morris

Cousins

Porter is restricted FA right? So we can match offers he gets? I'd let him test the market, and I'd call teams that have stars they're willing to unload and let them know we're willing to deal Porter. I'm not sure we'll get any offers though. If the Kings still had Cousins maybe, but I don't see the Pelicans dealing him after just trading for him a couple months ago. The Pacers are more likely to deal George to the Lakers or Celtics who'd have more ammunition to offer in terms of picks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Porter is restricted FA right? So we can match offers he gets? I'd let him test the market, and I'd call teams that have stars they're willing to unload and let them know we're willing to deal Porter. I'm not sure we'll get any offers though. If the Kings still had Cousins maybe, but I don't see the Pelicans dealing him after just trading for him a couple months ago. The Pacers are more likely to deal George to the Lakers or Celtics who'd have more ammunition to offer in terms of picks.

Brooklyn will offer him the max and they dont really have any pieces worth a trade

Edited by StillUnknown