Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

? For FedEx Fans: Do Our Receivers Just NEVER Get Open?

TD Riggo

What will be the 'skins final record?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the 'skins final record?

• I'm optimistic. 11-5!
    • Ravens will crush us, but we'll win out the last 3. 10-6!
    • We'll knock off SF and Cincy. 9-7.
    • We beat Cincinatti. That's it. 8-8.
    • Whatever. I give up. 7-9

We can't see on TV for the most part. They never show the open/down field. Are our receivers all just so bad that they NEVER get open downfield, except for maybe three or four plays per game? Or is there just some inability by Campbell to check down or to see Moss or El or the rookies when they're out there? Do we just not send them deep but three or four plays per game?

What's going on with our receivers? Please inform us as to whether it's a campbell problem, or a receiver-never-getting-open problem! Because I'm just freaking curious why we NEVER seem to have a guy open but for one or two plays per game. I know that our line is porous ESPECIALLY on the side that JANSEN is on, and that Campbell is usually running for his life, but not being able to see what is happening on the entire field just leaves me flipping curious!

Our midget receivers get 0 seperation and the problem is that Zorn and Co. believe these guys can pick up YAC after catch. People fail to realize that all routes are not designed for the first down marker. You need to allow your playmakers to get first downs on their one. As coaches often say on a 3rd and 8, Ill get you 6, make sure to get me the rest.

We need a real possession receiver and the only remote one we have is Cooley

They get open all the time, the problem is Campbell won't look more than 10 yards downfield. Also if the reciever is not the first read he can be 20 yards wide open and campbell will never see him. I can't count the number of time Devin Thomas has been streaking down the field wide open, nobody withing 20 yards of him, and Campbell never sees him.

They get open all the time, the problem is Campbell won't look more than 10 yards downfield. Also if the reciever is not the first read he can be 20 yards wide open and campbell will never see him. I can't count the number of time Devin Thomas has been streaking down the field wide open, nobody withing 20 yards of him, and Campbell never sees him.

Is this true? I mean, this is what I suspected was the case, because I just can't believe that we are the ONLY NFL franchise that has an entire receiving corps who are unable to get open but maybe five or six plays per game!

As to the YAC .. this is the same lame crap that Schottenheimer called all game! It would be 3rd and 9 and he would call a three yard pass almost every time.

Is this true? I mean, this is what I suspected was the case, because I just can't believe that we are the ONLY NFL franchise that has an entire receiving corps who are unable to get open but maybe five or six plays per game!

As to the YAC .. this is the same lame crap that Schottenheimer called all game! It would be 3rd and 9 and he would call a three yard pass almost every time.

Definitely not the case at the games I've been to.

I'm not saying he hasn't missed open receivers - we all know he has - however at the few games I've been to this year the receivers seem to get almost no seperation down the field.

Not sure what the people at the Giants game saw today though.

I think with another camp under their belt that Kelly and Thomas will begin to displace El and Thrash. But I'm a little concerned that When we do finally release Thrash, that we have nothing behind those two. Am I the only one that thinks that?

I think the team should release Thrash and consider releasing EL in the offseason.

Thrash is a journeyman receiver who doesn't have great size or speed.

El has been a major dissapointment as a punt returner and simply isn't cut out to be a starting WR. And he's sitting on a fat contract.

Here's hoping that our 09' depth chart reads "Moss, Kelly, Thomas."

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not concerned about a ThrashEL-less roster.

Receivers rarely get wide open in the NFL. Look at the Giants first drive. Eli threw a couple of darts to Hixon who was pretty well covered, but Hixon made nice plays. You gotta throw it downfield and give your receivers a chance. Though to be fair to JC he did suffer a lot of drops on 3rd down.

Receivers rarely get wide open in the NFL. Look at the Giants first drive. Eli threw a couple of darts to Hixon who was pretty well covered, but Hixon made nice plays. You gotta throw it downfield and give your receivers a chance. Though to be fair to JC he did suffer a lot of drops on 3rd down.

But it seems that at least 20 of the 32 teams every week have receivers that find a way to get open enough (enough separation) to make some catches. Our receivers are not. And this is unbelievable to me. Moss is one of the fastest, slipperiest receivers in the league (at least he used to be) and yet he rarely gets a long ball thrown his way.

So is it the lack of Zorn calling plays which stretch the field, or is it a QB that for some reason (maybe just running for his life every play because theline is old and porous) can't make the reads downfield. I'm just baffled that we seem to be the only team in the NFL that has this problem EVERY week!

and the drops dont help...i keeep telling myself JC is the man but the past couple weeks hes made me worry about how good he is...thats based on the score and few numbers of TDs our team and he has...but then watching i realize our recievers really dont seem to get open, and drop passes. that backside pass to kelly 25 yards downfield leftside to kelly was amzing, just kelly dropped it (although it wasnt an easy catch, but he could have came down with it)

I was at the game today and paid extra attention to this specifc question. JC siply misses too many WRs and doesn't progress through his reads from one side of the field to the other. He constantly locked onto 1 WR and never checked down or looked backside. Several times WR's or TE's were wide open and you could see the frustration as they cae off the field. JC has regressed the last few gaes since he has been getting hit more often. Yes he has been hurried repeatedly but some times he is costing himself by waiting too long for 1 route to develope instead of looking to a secondary WR.

we werent open at all today. it was pretty disturbing seeing ARE and moss blanketed all day and seeing their guys running free constantly. smith and hixon were getting tons of separation and eli had all day to throw back there.

our offense is terrible this season, we need to just accept it and hope it gets better next year with some new additions or some different plays. its not just gonna magically turn around for the last 4 games. were gonna finish 9-7, miss the playoffs, and even if somehow we do make the playoffs, we'll get murdered in the 1st round. this offense just cant hang with top tier defenses.

hmm... interesting question. I just got back from the game, and besides the fact that i have frostbite in all of my toes, i can tell you its a combination of the pass protection( terrible), number of plays called down the field by zorn(not many) and it being wet and rainy outside( no comment here). El did have a step on his defenders one time, though the ball was underthrown and resulted in an interception... i dont know what to tell you, our offense just aint very good..

we werent open at all today. it was pretty disturbing seeing ARE and moss blanketed all day and seeing their guys running free constantly. smith and hixon were getting tons of separation and eli had all day to throw back there.

our offense is terrible this season, we need to just accept it and hope it gets better next year with some new additions or some different plays. its not just gonna magically turn around for the last 4 games. were gonna finish 9-7, miss the playoffs, and even if somehow we do make the playoffs, we'll get murdered in the 1st round. this offense just cant hang with top tier defenses.

In regards to the Gianst WR's getting more seperation, that would be a product of the 12 yard cushions that our corners give them. They get a free release every play. The Giants played bup coverage a majority of the day.

It is SICKENING to see Baltimore with NO-NAME receivers and a ROOKIE QB putting up 30+ points practically every game.

Next week if we lose to Baltimore it will be an embarassment.

The difference? Their QB throws the ball to the receivers while they are still open. By the time Campbell gets the ball to an open receiver, they are not open any more or the ball is short and the receiver has to slow up to try to stop it from being intercepted.

They were never open (at least today), and if they were the offensive line didn't give JC enough time to pass it.

We need to go young on the O-line NOW.

There's no secret why we drafted two WRs...

I also think Jansen still playing is an emotional move by Buges, not an objective one.

As for CS, it's obvious that knee is really, really bothering him.

And Portis and Betts are still unhealthy.

The bye-week came two weeks too late...it didn't help anyone get healthy.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the health fairy shows up this week.

I put together this thread: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=273058 which has some information in it about WRs, from me and others who went to the game.

My take from where I was sitting: there was NO separation today. Receivers were not getting open. That is not always the case, but today, it just wasn't happening.

It just looked to me today like the Giants knew exactly what was coming at them, and they were jumping routes all the time. See, here's what I THINK is going on:

Zorn believes that the O-Line can't protect Jason.

Zorn wants JC to get the ball out of his hands quickly so he doesn't get killed.

Zorn wants to run the ball and have balance.

When Run = Fail, PROBLEM!

Giants KNOW that Zorn believes that the O-Line can't protect. Therefor they jump the short routes. PROBLEM!

JC then is stuck with the ball in his hand after a 3 step drop with nowhere to go behind a leaky O-Line. PROBLEM!

3 PROBLEMS and you lose 23-7. Blah.

Twice on 3rd down today JC threw far short of the yard marker to pad his completion percentage. End of drive 3 and out.

Those where the guys who were open. I don't think he was thinking, "Oh, I need to complete 64% of my passes, so I'll throw short." This isn't Madden, a guy past the marker isn't always open, so you throw to the guy who gives you the best shot of getting the first down. Make the defense make a play. Today, the Giants did. BLAH.

Archived