Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT 3/14/13: Competition Committee proposes 6 rule changes, 3 bylaw changes

Alaskins

For a full list, please see the original post at: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/14/competition-committee-proposes-six-rule-changes-three-bylaw-changes/

I'm only posting a few that I think may affect us.

5. Player safety: Offensive players will not be allowed to block low when going toward their own end lines in the tackle box. Can’t go low when peeling back anywhere on the field.

2. Fields must be maintained up to NFL standards, and the league can require clubs to maintain their fields up to the league’s high standards, at the club’s expense.

**** You Mara :giantsuck:

1. A play that would have been automatically reviewed by instant replay will still be reviewed even if a coach throws his challenge flag. Any coach who challenges a play that he’s not permitted to challenge would be charged a timeout, and wouldn’t get his timeout back even if he wins the challenge, or would lose 15 yards if his team is out of timeouts. But the play itself will still be reviewed. Call this the Jim Schwartz Rule. The league will also consider reviewing incomplete passes that are ruled a fumble all the way through the fumble — if a play is ruled on the field to be incomplete and overturned on replay as a fumble, the replay can consider everything that happens after that fumble

I can't believe that this wasn't the rule from the jump.

1. A play that would have been automatically reviewed by instant replay will still be reviewed even if a coach throws his challenge flag. Any coach who challenges a play that he’s not permitted to challenge would be charged a timeout, and wouldn’t get his timeout back even if he wins the challenge, or would lose 15 yards if his team is out of timeouts. But the play itself will still be reviewed. Call this the Jim Schwartz Rule. The league will also consider reviewing incomplete passes that are ruled a fumble all the way through the fumble — if a play is ruled on the field to be incomplete and overturned on replay as a fumble, the replay can consider everything that happens after that fumble

Wasn't that the rule championed by Mara, until it affected his team?

I believe I saw a tweet where they voted against that #5 proposal.

Yep, here's the tweet.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Listening to Jeff Fisher, doesn't sound like the low blocks are being banned. Players explained to committee they can deal with them

I just wonder if it got changed or something.

personally i think there shouldnt be a rule at all, i mean what are they trying to prevent, delay of game?

if the play is automatically reviewed what is the coach delaying?

They should just instruct the refs to ignore any errant flags thrown in that situation.

Best topical tweet of the day goes to the Raiders:

OAKLAND RAIDERS ‏@RAIDERS

Tuck Rule? It’s been 11 years, 1 month and 23 days…but who’s counting?

Like this?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Maurice Jones Drew is actually just a magic wrecking ball, and not really a real person.

1) Challenges-- Just go to the college system already. It's fast and it works.

2) FGs and Punts-- I thought this was already a rule

3) Tuck Rule-- Yes please

4) Numbers-- Again, like others have said, thought they were already wearing 40-49

5) Low Block-- Nah. Glad the players don't want this eliminated.

6) Crown of helmet-- Seriously? Stupid rule. Reject it. RBs are taught to put their head down and punish the defender. Damn, why are they trying to ruin the game?

I like that they are making players wear pads. That is the kind of rule I like to see for safety purposes and not the bullcrap of #6 above.

The field thing is because of us.

1) Challenges-- Just go to the college system already. It's fast and it works.

2) FGs and Punts-- I thought this was already a rule

3) Tuck Rule-- Yes please

4) Numbers-- Again, like others have said, thought they were already wearing 40-49

5) Low Block-- Nah. Glad the players don't want this eliminated.

6) Crown of helmet-- Seriously? Stupid rule. Reject it. RBs are taught to put their head down and punish the defender. Damn, why are they trying to ruin the game?

I like that they are making players wear pads. That is the kind of rule I like to see for safety purposes and not the bullcrap of #6 above.

The field thing is because of us.

If mara'a grubby hands are behind this, you can guarantee both of the highlighted ones are because of "us"

the skins use alot of cutblocks for backside pursuit and such.. mara probably didn't like the way his vagiants have been destroyed by it the last 2 years and wants it changed

Run tall and let defenders tackle you.

No. Lower your body, lead with the shoulder, attack the tackler, finish the runs strong. Just don't do it with the top of your helmet. I don't see the problem here. This is the way it should be.

If you lead with your shoulder you have to turn your body sideways, which throws you off balance.

I have to disagree. It's the proper way to finish runs that kids are taught from the youth level up. You lead with the shoulder and drive with the legs. Nothing about it throws a player off balance. its how you are supposed to hit, either when tackling or finishing runs. The helmet is there to protect you; not to be used as a weapon. At some point, maybe high school I'm not sure, the message is getting changed to "attack for impact". It's not right and it isn't good form football.

I think this actually comes up fairly little in game play. Most runners lower their head to protect the ball, but they don't often intentionally initiate contact with a tackler with the crown of their helmet which is what the proposed rule is for. Lower this to occurances in space, outside the tackles and I think this is even less of an issue than folks may think.

It's really meant to stop things like this, but in the open field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDH6x5JW7M

Archived