Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News ranks the 46 Super Bowls

hail2skins

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-26/super-bowl-ranks-best-games-winners-patriots-packers-steelers-bills#

The first slide states the rankings don't just take into account how thrilling the game was, but also on the game's lasting legacy. Even with that said, find myself scratching my head, especially when looking at the ones the Skins were in:

45) Skins 37 Bills 24: I know the Skins were in control throughout but the second worst SB....really?

29) Skins 27 Dolphins 17: In the past 15 or so years we've gotten away from disappointing Super Bowls, but the Riggins 4th and 1 should give this game better than the #29 spot

25) Dolphins 14 Skins 7: I was too young for this one and from what I've heard, it was a pretty boring game. However, if the game in which the Giants prevented the Pats from a perfect season was #1, shouldn't the game in which the Dolphins completed a perfect season be higher than #25?

24) Raiders 38 Skins 9: I'm sure Skins fans think this should be #46 LOL

21) Skins 42 Broncos 10: probably about right. Skins explosion in the second quarter was pretty breathtaking.

Have to agree with you on the ranking for the Super Bowl with the Bills. I think that is a too low although that could be the homer in me. 'Skins dominated more than the final score indicated, but 45 on the list....I can think of other Super Bowls that were worse than that one.

I would rank Super Bowl XVII a little higher than that just for the reason you stated above. Most of the games up until then were real letdowns. This game was tight throughout. And of course...Riggo's run. One of the signature moments in Super Bowl history. I'd rank this one higher for sure.

Super Bowl VII.....I was just a tike so I don't remember much.

Super Bowl XVIII.....as far as I'm concerned...it didn't happen. Shouldn't even be on the list.:pfft:

Super Bowl XXII....I'll agree with that one too. Once the 2nd quarter started the ball game was over. However, the sheer dominance of the 'Skins during that 15 minutes was mind-boggling and made for a great Super Bowl memory.

Out of all of the Superbowls that I can remember seeing, my top 3 (in no order) Would be 43, 38, and 34. I could see why people would want to put 42 at # 1 for all of the history that was on the line, but for pure play, I wouldn't put it at the top spot.

Pats/Panthers was one of the most spectacularly schizophrenic games I've ever seen.

This list is horrid. I have to believe that the people that put the list together don't remember the actual games and are only thinking of individual events. For example, SB VIII should be no where near the top half. And even though I'm a homer SB XVII has to be in the top half. That was an exciting game start to finish.

Impossible task. Outside of maybe 10 games that have been extremely entertaining, the Super Bowl game itself is an afterthought to 30 fan bases. So, our 3 wins are about as sweet as they come to us but I would guess that 30 other fan bases remember a handful of things about all of our Super Bowls combined:

1) Strike-shortened years

2) The Quarter and Doug Williams (first black QB)

3) Being part of the Bills run of consecutive Super Bowl losses

4) 4th-and-1

XVII was compelling with the late 4th down conversion for a TD, but that was now 30+ years ago and we've had many more dramatic endings since then. Back in the late-1980s when every Super Bowl was a NFC blowout, that dramatic ending was a diamond in the rough. Now, we've had some pretty awesome games trump the drama from 1982. The other two were pretty crappy games. Tell me what you remember from the 49ers' 55-10 win over Denver in 1989 or blowout of the Chargers? Their fans probably could talk about those games forever while I tuned out and focused on Bud Bowl or commercials in the second quarter.

You could poll 100 people and get 46 different first- and last-place Super Bowls. It's an impossible thing about which to gain a consensus.

How are Super Bowl XLII and III numbers 1 and 2 respectively? I wasn't around for III, but from what I understand, it was a lot like XLII: a close game that was dreadfully boring. Yes, Eli had that great drive at the end and that iconic catch by David Tyree is the stuff of legends, but the best Super Bowl of all time? Better than XXV (Scott Norwood's missed kick) or XIII (Jackie Smith dropping a sure fire TD from Roger Staubach) or XXXIV (Titans coming one yard short) or even Super Bowl XLIII (Cardinals-Steelers), which in my opinion is the greatest Super Bowl of my lifetime.

I remember Super Bowl XLII. I remember it well and I remember it was a dull game where both teams played poorly for the vast majority of the game.

Also, if this list is about "moments" instead of the game as a whole, Super Bowl XVII should be much higher. Riggo running 70 Chip on 4th and 1 is one of the iconic images of the NFL.

Also, if this list is about "moments" instead of the game as a whole, Super Bowl XVII should be much higher. Riggo running 70 Chip on 4th and 1 is one of the iconic images of the NFL.

It is, no doubt. But as time goes on and more recent "classic" moments are created...it's going to fade. At the time that it happened, I would bet that the 4th and 1 play was probably the most dramatic in Super Bowl history. But since then we've had the Norwood missed FG, Dyson being tackled at the one, 2 Patriot wins that came down to last-minute FGs, Holmes catching the GW TD in the closing minutes, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it's still iconic but there's now 10 or so similar moments so it's not going to stand atop the mountain of Super Bowl moments except in the minds of people who witnessed it or love the Redskins.

29) Skins 27 Dolphins 17: In the past 15 or so years we've gotten away from disappointing Super Bowls, but the Riggins 4th and 1 should give this game better than the #29 spot

The whole game riding on a 4th and 1 - I don't know how things can get much more dramatic. I think this was one of the underrated great SB moments of all time. I think it gets overlooked because of the Dolphins QB being lightly regarded.

The whole game riding on a 4th and 1 - I don't know how things can get much more dramatic. I think this was one of the underrated great SB moments of all time. I think it gets overlooked because of the Dolphins QB being lightly regarded.

It was dramatic, no doubt. But, in fairness, I believe there were 10 or so minutes to go and we were down by only 4. Some of the more recent comebacks have been much more "do-or-die" when the points were scored. The Giants scored on NE with less than 2 minutes to go. The Steelers scored on the Cardinals with less than 2 minutes to go. The Rams made a tackle at the one-yard line to prevent the typing TD as time expired!

In Super Bowl XVII, we could have punted from the 43 and probably still gotten the ball back around midfield with 7 minutes to go in the game. Hell, we had enough time to score a clinching TD to go up by 10. At the time, Riggins' run was probably the most dramatic moment in Super Bowl history. But over time there have been more compelling plays and endings that have jumped that game in terms of drama. It's OK and not a slight on what that game means to us (winning that game launched a dynasty). But, in the eyes of non-Redskin fans, I can understand why it's not held to the same heights that it was 30 years ago.

Don't forget Joe Theismann saving the day by batting a potential pick 6 out of Kim Bokamper's hands. He catches that and it's 24-13 and "good night Irene," to quote Frank Herzog. Looking back at that SB, we should have blown those jokers out 27-3. Kickoff return and first play fluke TD. Other than that, they completed 4 passes the ENTIRE game and had 11 yards of offense in the 4th quarter.

The 80s Redskins are like the overlooked dynasty and I think its a combination of no star linking the teams, the opponents, and the two strike years. Riggins is still considered the biggest star of those teams and he was retired for two of the three wins.

And David Woodley's involvement doesn't help matters.

• 3 weeks later...
Three best Super Bowls IMHO:

1) Bills-Giants SB XXV

2) Titans-Rams SB SBXXIV

4) Cardinals-Steelers XLIII

Bills-Giants is way above the later 2.

Both the Rams-Titans and Steelers-Cards were games with great second halves. The first half of both games were nothing to write home about. The losing team woke up in the second half and made it game. Actually, that's how alot of the recent close superbowls have been.

The 80s Redskins are like the overlooked dynasty and I think its a combination of no star linking the teams' date=' the opponents, and the two strike years. Riggins is still considered the biggest star of those teams and he was retired for two of the three wins.

And David Woodley's involvement doesn't help matters.[/quote']

We were also overshadowed by the Niners and the Giants somewhat.

Giants/Bills should honestly be number 1.

I don't understand how they are ranking the super bowls? The story behind the game? or the game itself?

If it is the game itself, I strongly disagree with the list because Super Bowl 3 wasn't a good game.

Three best Super Bowls IMHO:

1) Bills-Giants SB XXV

2) Titans-Rams SB SBXXIV

4) Cardinals-Steelers XLIII

Agreed.

We were also overshadowed by the Niners and the Giants somewhat.

And the everlasting memory of the '85 Bears, widely regarded as one of the greatest teams of all time, not to mention the arrival of the '90's Cowboys, after we won it all in '91. I think the '91 team is the biggest travesty. That team was an absolute machine, yet was forgotten about because of the Niners and Cowboys. I think things would've changed at least a little bit if the '83 team had won as well. It would've been very hard to forget about 4 Lombardi's in 8 years, especially when you consider how good that '83 team was.

Archived