Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDailyNews: Laron Landry says NY Jets won't be getting a hometown discount

Arsenic

NYDailyNews: LaRon Landry says NY Jets won’t be getting a hometown discount when hard-hitting safety hits open market

"What do you mean (by) a discount?" Landry said. "Take less over what? From where?… If that (were) the case, I would have taken a hometown discount and stayed with the Redskins.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/landry-jets-won-hometown-discount-article-1.1220499#ixzz2G5sMGIbI

I must admit, I'm still a fan of the way Laron plays. The quote from above has left me to question if his return to DC might be worth consideration. We sure could use help in our secondary. Anyone know if he still owns a house in the area? :pfft:

Thoughts?

*prepares to dodge tomatoes*

This article is nonsense... A favor paid to Landry's agent to spur demand. Equal parts fluff about his skill set and reporting about how healthy he is, this reporter is now owed a favor by this agent.

Next scoop involving one of this agents players is his. That's how this business works,.. Hideous marriage between journalism and sports agents

---------- Post added December-25th-2012 at 03:12 PM ----------

If the price is right, bring him back. We need all the help we can get in the secondary.

I'd rather see them line up Tom Compton at safety. Games are so much more enjoyable to watch without having to watch the flexing ass clown after every routine tackle.

If the price is right, bring him back. We need all the help we can get in the secondary.

NO WAY!

I don't think Landry was kicked out of Washington because of poor play or constant injuries. It was because of his attitude.

We don't need that bone-headed, selfish flexer on this team. Someone who gives up a 40 yard pass-and-run because he was too busy going for the ESPN highlight hit instead of thinking about helping the team. Or a fool who gives up a big play before he finally tackles the ball carrier, then stands up and flexes like he just won the Super Bowl. :doh:

Good riddance to him and ALL the jackass players that Shanahan swept outta here.

(NOTE: I'm not saying all the players Shanahan got rid of were jackasses.... just the ones that were. :) ).

Being a safety is more than hitting hard.

Sean Taylor entered the league as a guy who would knock you out. But he became better with every passing year because he learned that it wasn't just about hitting someone hard. By 2007, he was playing lights and, and most of the plays he made WEREN'T about hitting people hard. He was playing smarter football and picking off passes instead of laying someone out. Because he probably learned that anyone can lay a player out. Turnovers and interceptions are game changers.

LaRon thinks all he has to do is hit hard and walk around like a goofball. And unlike Sean, he might hit a guy hard, but he's such a joke that he can't even force an incompletion to go along with the hit. He's played like crap, to put it lightly, and the idea that he'd get a monster contract from anyone is preposterous.

The only reason I would be in favor of the team bringing him back is because of blitzing ability and run stopping ability in the box. Unfortunately he isn't a linebacker. It hasn't been long enough for me to forget about his injury history, and flexing every time a running back/receiver was tackled by him on a 20-25 yd gain.

So no, not unless he comes back at a cheap price, which there's no way in hell he'll do. I'd rather we just draft a safety (or two) in April. Our secondary would be instantly upgraded, along with the returns of Bernstine, Meriweather, Jackson, Minnefield, and Cedric Griffin. I say that because Madieu Williams and Reed Doughty may be the worst starting duo of safeties in the history of the NFL.

You guys do realize that Pro Football Focus actually rates LaRon as worse than ANY of the safeties we have, right?

That's right; LaRon grades out as a worse safety than Madieu Williams.

I'm sorry, but I would take a sack of faded socks over Williams.

I would take Archuleta over Williams.

If the price was right I wouldn't be upset if he came back. I never felt that bridge was burned and I'm not one to hate every player that leaves town. I don't expect the price will be low enough however and I think Landry is still over rated.

---------- Post added December-25th-2012 at 09:33 PM ----------

Nope. Not at all. I'd much rather have Meriweather and Jackson.

It also tells me that he's looking for a huge payday. He hasn't improved his coverage at all.

Jackson is a huge risk which we've seen first hand. If he's here he should be thought of as a plan b in case he gets himself suspended again. He's failed far too any tests and isn't a player that can be trusted.

I wonder how he feels about the Redskins now. He made all of those disparaging comments about not respecting the organization except for a select few (I.e., Gibbs, b/c be drafted him...). Our Skins are now on track, making significant progress without Laron and all of his silly flexing. :ols:

...and he is with a dysfunctional team no where near going to the playoffs. Good riddance, Laron!!!

After 16 weeks PFF has Landry ranked (out of all NFL safeties):

55 overall (34 in coverage, 58 against the rush, and 22 as a rusher himself, and 83 in bad penalties against him)

By comparison:

Madieu Williams is 65 overall (50 in coverage, 64 against the rush, and 20 as a rusher himself, and 69 in bad penalties against him)

DeJon Gomes is 69 overall (32 in coverage, 70 against the rush, and 78 as a rusher himself, and 72 in bad penalties against him)

Reed Doughty is 71 overall (65 in coverage, 65 against the rush, and 30 as a rusher himself, and 48 in bad penalties against him)

So yeah I guess he would be a slight upgrade on what we are running out there now. However his past with us, attitude, injuries, and contract demands tell me we should not bring him back.

I know this may be an unpopular decision, but I would take him back.

Taking him back doesn't mean we have to start him, and he could serve value as a dime or nickel defender where we can blitz him or drop him back into coverage.

The only question is would the pay be worth the minimal value he would bring. And the answer to that could very well be no.

Taking him back doesn't mean we have to start him, and he could serve value as a dime or nickel defender where we can blitz him or drop him back into coverage.

The only question is would the pay be worth the minimal value he would bring. And the answer to that could very well be no.

Yeah a situation like that would be awesome but would never work with his demands and attitude. He will only settle for a high paying full time starting job.

The thing is, with the report in the OP saying that Laron won't give the Jets a "hometown discount", he thinks he is worth a hell of a lot more than most teams probably do. I imagine he wants to be paid top dollar. We're not going to give him top dollar.

He wants a big contract, so it's not even a decision.

Take him back for vet minimum? Maybe, but he isn't signing for that.

We don't have cap room to waste on troublemakers, we are trying to rebuild a franchise that has sucked for 20 years, and it sucked with him at safety.

You want to turn the corner on the franchise and continue building the right way, or you want to dip your toe in the overpaid FA pond.

Archived