Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sources: Tim Tebow QUIT on his Jets teammates today

AsiaticSkinsFan

Tim Tebow opted out of Wildcat

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow was so frustrated when the starting job was conferred upon Greg McElroy early last week that he told the coaches he didn't want to be used in any Wildcat packages Sunday against the San Diego Chargers, multiple Jets sources told ESPNNewYork.com.

Tebow was active, but did not play in the 27-17 loss at MetLife Stadium.

In Tebow's absence, wide receiver Jeremy Kerley -- a former high school quarterback -- ran the plays for the first time all season. The Wildcat has been Tebow's package, and was the reason Jets coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano said he was brought to New York.

Tebow has been frustrated all season by his lack of playing time, but it culminated Tuesday upon hearing he would be passed over for a starting opportunity when Ryan decided to bench Mark Sanchez. Tebow was disappointed and upset enough to say he didn't want to be used situationally, sources said. He told the Jets coaches early in the week, giving Kerley time to take the practice reps. Soon reports emerged speculating the backup was looking to play outside of New York next season.

In the postgame news conference, Tebow was asked who told him he wouldn't be playing in the Wildcat and Tebow responded, "It just kind of happens."

Ryan said during his news conference that they wanted to use Kerley because of the element of surprise. Afterward Ryan, through a team spokesman, said it was a "coach's decision" when asked specifically if Tebow had opted out.

The Jets had all three quarterbacks active for the Chargers game for the first time all season. Tebow did not play a single snap either as a punt protector or on offense. He was active, according to a source, in case McElroy was hurt. Jets coaches didn't want to play Sanchez at home, wary of possible fan reaction.

"I also wanted to give Kerley a shot at running some Wildcat things," Ryan said. "We knew they wouldn't expect him to throw the ball, and that was the case."

Tebow was Sanchez's backup all season, and was inactive with two fractured ribs during the Cardinals game on Dec. 2 when Sanchez threw three interceptions and was replaced by McElroy. The second-year quarterback out of Alabama threw a touchdown pass and the Jets won 7-6.

Tebow was frustrated that he'd missed that opportunity as well.

After Ryan announced McElroy would start on Tuesday, Tebow was clearly miffed at his locker during his usual Wednesday news conference. The Jets announced Thursday that Tebow wouldn't be available in his usual Friday spot, and he ducked quickly in and out of the locker room that day.

After the loss to the Chargers, Tebow again appeared more detached, but didn't portray much emotion when answering reporter questions.

"It's been disappointing, obviously (the season) didn't go as we thought, as I had hoped," Tebow said. "But sometimes in life you have that. Sometimes you have setbacks and you have to look at them as an opportunity to step back up and keep working and figure out what to do."

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen reported that Tebow will likely play for the Jacksonville Jaguars next season. The Jaguars were the only other NFL team in the hunt for Tebow when Denver acquired Peyton Manning last year during the offseason. It's where he is originally from, and where his family lives. When asked if he was looking to play elsewhere, Tebow avoided the question.

"We've just got to find a way to beat the Buffalo Bills next Sunday," Tebow said.

But he was less evasive when asked if he could be a starting quarterback in the NFL. It's something he hasn't done since last season when he led Denver to the playoffs. The Jets haven't advanced his career. In fact, Kerley's 42-yard pass on Sunday topped Tebow's 39 passing yards all season. Despite the fact that the Jets haven't trusted Tebow to pass the ball or run the offense, Tebow is clear that it's a role he wants.

"I believe in my God-given ability to play this game of football and I think I can play it for a long time," Tebow said, "and I look forward to playing it some more."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8776088/tim-tebow-new-york-jets-asked-left-wildcat-sources-say

I told you all this guy was an egomaniac. He has a good heart, but that doesnt mean he doesnt mean he is not an egomaniac. He better be raked over the coals for this action.

Well, what I said in the other thread I will mitigate somewhat. You give him credit for a good heart but he's QB...OF COURSE he's an egomaniac. And in spite of peeps trying to credit ONLY the defense or running game, Tebow had a hand in that playoff run last year. I can't say he's much of a QB but I don't know what he was told by people when he was brought in or even when Sanchez was struggling. He should have played though if it was up to him because it gives teams next year a chance to see he will fight and fight.

You get brought in as the backup, yet when the starter struggles they put in the third stringer. Then you don't even get a chance to start when they bench the "starter". You get brought in and told they have a whole special package for you, and run in less then 20 plays the whole season.

Yeah, I'd be frustrated too.

It's the evil media's fault. Why is the media printing this garbage? Provide a face with a name. This is clearly the media trying to single out Tebow . What about all of the other guys that quit on that team? This is all the medias fault. Talk about a lack of journalistic integrity.

All I hear is that Tebow is a good, kind hearted, God fearing, fierce competitor, from multiple people, over the course of his entire playing career (college and pro). So in saying that who the hell are we to even begin to discuss this? Anything for a story I guess. There should be zero discussion until the media stops trying to stir the pot and tells us who said this.

What a terrible world we live in...

Well, what I said in the other thread I will mitigate somewhat. You give him credit for a good heart but he's QB...OF COURSE he's an egomaniac. And in spite of peeps trying to credit ONLY the defense or running game, Tebow had a hand in that playoff run last year. I can't say he's much of a QB but I don't know what he was told by people when he was brought in or even when Sanchez was struggling. He should have played though if it was up to him because it gives teams next year a chance to see he will fight and fight.

NOPE, he just quit on his team today (if this is true of course).

And it one thing to be an egomaniac if you are a decent to good QB. This guy is butt awful.

You get brought in as the backup, yet when the starter struggles they put in the third stringer. Then you don't even get a chance to start when they bench the "starter". You get brought in and told they have a whole special package for you, and run in less then 20 plays the whole season.

Yeah, I'd be frustrated too.

Nah, the back up was McElroy. Nearly everyone at Jets camp this summer said Tebow was the 3rd best passer for the Jets. Tebow lost his chance to be the back up.

If Tebow was outperforming McElroy, he would be the back up.

Also remember that Tebow 'jumped" Brady Quinn last season in Denver after it was stated Tebow was 3rd string QB.

Nah, this was an egomaniacal, primmadonna move, and he quit on his teammates. No need to save him.

Nah, the back up was McElroy. Nearly everyone at Jets camp this summer said Tebow was the 3rd best passer for the Jets. Tebow lost his chance to be the back up.

Also remember that Tebow 'jumped" Brady Quinn last season in Denver after it was stated Tebow was 3rd string QB.

Nah, this was an egomaniacal, primmadonna move, and he quit on his teammates. No need to save him.

He wasn't the backup, yet for most of the year (until his injury) he dressed for the games and McElroy wasn't even active...

He wasn't the backup, yet for most of the year (until his injury) he dressed for the games and McElroy wasn't even active...

Thats because Rex only kept two QBs active and Tebow could help in other ways, like punt protection or in the wildcat.

Now THAT was stupid on Rex Ryan's part, but McElroy was apparently outperforming Tebow all year in Practice.

NOPE, he just quit on his team today (if this is true of course).

And it one thing to be an egomaniac if you are a decent to good QB. This guy is butt awful.

yea he should have stayed quiet and done nothing all year, especially after his teammates threw him under the bus and quit on him.... like your agenda here pal, real nice

It's the evil media's fault. Why is the media printing this garbage? Provide a face with a name. This is clearly the media trying to single out Tebow . What about all of the other guys that quit on that team? This is all the medias fault. Talk about a lack of journalistic integrity.

All I hear is that Tebow is a good, kind hearted, God fearing, fierce competitor, from multiple people, over the course of his entire playing career (college and pro). So in saying that who the hell are we to even begin to discuss this? Anything for a story I guess. There should be zero discussion until the media stops trying to stir the pot and tells us who said this.

What a terrible world we live in...

there is no way Tebow comes out of this looking good.

And if this is true he planned to quit on them, which is quite different than just getting frustrated in the middle of a game

yea he should have stayed quiet and done nothing all year, especially after his teammates threw him under the bus and quit on him.... like your agenda here pal, real nice

he should have stayed quiet all year, thats what most expect from other players in similar situations, why should Tebow be different?

And you are right I have an agenda, just like you are showing yours in this post.

I want to see a player do all it takes for his team to win a game, and help in all situations. Unfortunately Tebow doesnt want to do that and quit. I am very disappointed.

I would be disgusted and upset if Chris Cooley raised a ruckus after resigning and not getting a bigger role in the offense. I would be upset if Evan Royster got mad at how Alfred Morris leapfrogged him after training camp and went out and said he doesnt want to be a 3rd down back. I would be very up if a Redskin did this, but somehow you want to defend Tebow for asking out of a play.

Ive seen Randy Moss and many other players get pilloried on here for doing something similar, and they are a HELLUVA lot more accomplished than Tebow. Why defend his actions?

---------- Post added December-23rd-2012 at 09:04 PM ----------

there is no way Tebow comes out of this looking good.

And if this is true he planned to quit on them, which is quite different than just getting frustrated in the middle of a game

exactly

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8776088/tim-tebow-new-york-jets-asked-left-wildcat-sources-say

I told you all this guy was an egomaniac. He has a good heart, but that doesnt mean he doesnt mean he is not an egomaniac. He better be raked over the coals for this action.

He's not an egomaniac. He was misled by Rex Ryan. He could have gone to Jacksonville, but chose New York because of talks he had with Ryan. He thought he would get a chance to be the starter if Sanchez struggled. Well, needless to say, Sanchez has been terrible, yet Tebow, who was the backup all year, was jumped on the depth chart by the third string guy. Pretty ****ty, right?

Now, I'm not excusing him for not wanting to play today, but I can fully understand his frustration. He knows he wasn't gonna start today, and would be in Jacksonville next year, so why would he risk getting hurt for a team that ****ted on him?

I would like nothing more than to see the guy go to Jacksonville and have some more of that Denver magic. Guy deserves another shot at starting. He's a good dude. Don't understand all the hate.

You got to understand, you're dealing with a guy here that defended Cam Newton's diva-like ways and also thought it was perfectly ok for Josh Brent to be on Dallas' sidelines last week. This guy is always trying to stir things up.

Bottom line, Tebow deserved a chance to start and wasn't afforded the opportunity to do so. It's a ****ing joke how bad he was misled/mistreated by the Jets. Especially Rex Ryan.

He's not an egomaniac. He was misled by Rex Ryan. He could have gone to Jacksonville, but chose New York because of talks he had with Ryan. He thought he would get a chance to be the starter if Sanchez struggled. Well, needless to say, Sanchez has been terrible, yet Tebow, who was the backup all year, was jumped on the depth chart by the third string guy. Pretty ****ty, right?

Now, I'm not excusing him for not wanting to play today, but I can fully understand his frustration. He knows he wasn't gonna start today, and would be in Jacksonville next year, so why would he risk getting hurt for a team that ****ted on him?

I would like nothing more than to see the guy go to Jacksonville and have some more of that Denver magic. Guy deserves another shot at starting. He's a good dude. Don't understand all the hate.

no, Tim Tebow is an egomaniac and is one of the biggest in the NFL. Its why Elway shipped him out after they got Peyton.

He really believes he should be a starting QB in the NFL without him showing he can throw a football consistently.

And Tebow said he talked to Rex Ryan at the Super Bowl, I dont know if they talked about the role he would play in the offense before that, Woody Johnson is the one who wanted Tebow. If anything, and this is speculation, they said he would have a chance to compete for the job. Again, Tebow did not perform well in practice and McCoy apparently was better than him. Why give Tebow the job when someone else is better in practice?

I would love to see him in Jacksonville too. The entertainment would be amazing.

You got to understand, you're dealing with a guy here that defended Cam Newton's diva-like ways and also thought it was perfectly ok for Josh Brent to be on Dallas' sidelines last week. This guy is always trying to stir things up.

Bottom line, Tebow deserved a chance to start and wasn't afforded the opportunity to do so. It's a ****ing joke how bad he was misled/mistreated by the Jets. Especially Rex Ryan.

No no, it's not defending per se, just glossing over everything, and choosing to craftily place the blame on everyone else while slipping a "But X is at fault too tho" in there. There is a method to the madness.

I havent defended Cam Newton's diva-like ways, what I did say is that you guys should apply the same stuff you get on for Cam to other players. You dont (example of course is THIS SITUATION WITH TEBOW, LOL)

And I said I didnt like seeing Josh Brent's on the sidelines last week, but Jerry Brown's mother's feelings>>>>>> my own and others.

If you are going to criticize me, at least get it right.

And at least stick to the topic instead of that diverting.

Tebow had his chance all year in practice and has apparently stunk it up. I guess practice doesnt apply to him?

no, Tim Tebow is an egomaniac and is one of the biggest in the NFL. Its why Elway shipped him out after they got Peyton.

He really believes he should be a starting QB in the NFL without him showing he can throw a football consistently.

And Tebow said he talked to Rex Ryan at the Super Bowl, I dont know if they talked about the role he would play in the offense before that, Woody Johnson is the one who wanted Tebow. If anything, and this is speculation, they said he would have a chance to compete for the job. Again, Tebow did not perform well in practice and McCoy apparently was better than him. Why give Tebow the job when someone else is better in practice?

I would love to see him in Jacksonville too. The entertainment would be amazing.

Explain how he's an egomaniac? Do you even know the definition of the word? TO was an egomaniac. Brett Favre. Tebow is just polarizing. He does everything the right way. It's not his fault the media (I blame Skip Bayless) has tracked his every move since he entered the NFL.

And your thinking that Elway shipped him out because he's an egomaniac is just ridiculous. That doesn't even deserve any further discussion.

Tebow had several discussions with Ryan before signing there. And he was under the impression that he would get to start if Sanchez struggled. I just read a story about this at espn's website last night. Now, are you gonna honestly sit there and tell me that Tebow isn't telling the truth about his conversations with Ryan?

And Tebow has never been that great of a practice player. I heard those same stories when he was in Denver. But that's sort of irrelevant. Tebow took over a Broncos team that was 1-4 and led them to the playoffs. Even beat the vaunted Steelers in the first round, when no one was giving them much chance at all.

McElroy has never accomplished anything in the NFL. And was the third stringer for most of the year and wasn't even activated for most of the Jets' games. No way should Tebow have been passed over for that guy and you know it.

I don’t get why they traded for Tebow in the first place. It is well known he sucks at practice. Heck, it’s also well known that he sucks for 3 ½ quarters of every game. But he wins games. They had nothing to lose and still chose McElroy over him. I’d be pissed too if they traded for me only to have me protecting punts.

All jokes aside, Tebow's problem is that he waited too long to "Take a stand," and now looks like a whiny ***** ( to some).

He should've done it in the beginning when there were rumors that he was brought in for "Wildcat purposes" only, and that he'd be the personal punt protector. Back then, he should've taken a stand and said "No, I am here to play quarterback," but he just chose to be a "Team player" and ludicrously gain 15 lbs (which didn't help him, at all, which should be a surprise to no one).

The Jets finally woke up and realized that they ****ed up, bringing in a dude who can't throw accurately enough to run their offense, and pretty much stabbed him in the back, by saying that he'd back up Sanchez, and instead putting in McElroy. They ****ed him over, and he should be pissed, but he should've known what he was getting himself into, choosing to be traded to a joke of an organization and a terrible locker room like that. In that respect, I don't feel sorry for him.

Bringing in Tebow was the dumbest move that Tannenbaum/Ryan could've possibly made... and they made it. And if I were Tebow, I'd just move on from the NFL, or go to Canada or somewhere. As I've said before, unless you can get him a very good defense/great running game, with great special teams and allow him to"Will" your teams to 17-13 victories, then he isn't your guy.

Archived