Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AOL Sporting News: Colin Kaepernick ushers in an inked-up NFL quarterbacking era

AsiaticSkinsFan

Colin Kaepernick ushers in an inked-up NFL quarterbacking era - NFL - Sporting News

San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick is going to be a big-time NFL quarterback. That must make the guys in San Quentin happy.

Approximately 98.7 percent of the inmates at California’s state prison have tattoos. I don’t know that as fact, but I’ve watched enough “Lockup” to know it’s close to accurate.

I’m also pretty sure less than 1.3 percent of NFL quarterbacks have tattoos. There’s a reason for that.

For dinosaurs like me, NFL quarterbacks were our little Dutch boys. The original hero stuck his finger in the dyke to save Holland. Pro QBs were the last line of defense against the raging sea of ink. When our kids said they wanted a tattoo, we could always point to the Manning brothers.

My guess is Archie would have made Peyton throw an extra 1,000 passes before dinner if he’d come home with a tattoo. The old man knew QBs are different.

Entire article in the link

Michael Vick is covered in tattoos and has been around for a decade. So kind of a strange article.

From the article

I realize not all NFL quarterbacks are pristine. Ben Roethlisberger has a “COURAGE” tattoo on the right side of his upper body. Smith has one honoring his Serbian heritage. They can’t be seen when the players put on their uniforms.

Then there are Michael Vick and Terrelle Pryor. Neither exactly fit the CEO image, unless your CEO has done a stretch in Leavenworth or has gotten Ohio State on probation over free tattoos.

That’s what makes Kaepernick a threat to the stereotype. By all accounts, he’s polite, hard working, humble and has never been to prison. He sounds more like a Tebow who can throw.

He sounds more like a Tebow who can throw.

That's exactly what he is.

I don't watch a lot of college football, but it has only been two players that I have made sure I watched when they played. One is playing QB for us right now, the other was Kaepernick.

The reason I say he is a Tebow who can throw is because I have seen him will his team to victory. I will never forget that Friday night when Nevada beat Boise State and ended their National Championship dream. He put the team on his back and made plays...

As far as him being "tatted up", nobody really cares. This aint the 50's and 60's. If you can do your job, smartpeople won't care how you look.

From the article

Yea, I saw that. I guess "Colin Kaepernik Ushers in ERA of (white enough) Inked quarterbacks" wasn't acceptable.

Just poking fun at the title. Could be one of those situations where the publication has control of the title and manages to butcher it. Seeing as it has AOL in the URL, it's probably a guarantee.

Well, you certainly shouldn't judge someone by their exterior...

BUT, having visible tats does (like it or not) place you in a certain stereotype and if you are fine with people making those quick assumptions about you, more power to you.

Regardless, I think this article is a bit stupid, there are already QB's with tats...

Personally, I think tats are trashy-looking, but then again, sometimes I wonder if I've been time-warped from the 1950's with some of my views :)

I don't like tattoos but do people still associate tats and prison? I certainly question the judgement of some people sporting tats they can't easily cover but I don't assume them to be hardened criminals. This guy is being way too dramatic.

Yeah, I think our society has moved passed the tatoos = former prisoner mindset to highly visible tattoos = questionable judgement :ols:

Oh by the way, Kaepernick is playing very well, and tha is what an NFl QB is supposed to be worried about.

Sounds like Grandpa Simpson wrote the article.

And what's with this yellow CAKE? I ain't eating no commie cake! I don't care who's birthday it is!

Indoor plumbing's for sissies!

~Bang

I don't like tattoos but do people still associate tats and prison? I certainly question the judgement of some people sporting tats they can't easily cover but I don't assume them to be hardened criminals. This guy is being way too dramatic.
I can't stand tats and would never have one. However, I've seen tats on a few guys (pro athletes) that I thought didn't look bad.

With that said, I think people do assume things about people who have tattoos. I know I'm guilty. For instance, if I see a chic with tats, I assume she is easy and probably smokes. And I would never (probably never) date any woman that has any tats. At least not if they were visible. I just think they're trashy-looking.

Along these lines: can someone explain to me why so many women/girls these days have tats on their wrists?

---------- Post added December-1st-2012 at 02:39 AM ----------

I read this POS article earlier...

So where is the article about Josh Hamilton??? Babe Ruth and Ted Williams weren't tatted....

Hamilton is actually embarrassed by his tats. There was an article about it several years ago in SI. If I remember correctly, he got the majority of them while he was heavily into drugs. If you notice, he tries hard to cover them up with all the wristbands and whatnot.

im sorry, but the article was racist and ignorant.
I agree. This is a piece of trash.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever used the word "bigoted" to describe someone's opinion on tattoos before, but this guy is so over the top with such a lack of actual reasoning that I think it fits pretty well.

I can practically hear the author of the article howling at kids to stop using his lawn as a shortcut when walking down the street.

That, too.

Well, you certainly shouldn't judge someone by their exterior...

BUT, having visible tats does (like it or not) place you in a certain stereotype and if you are fine with people making those quick assumptions about you, more power to you.

Regardless, I think this article is a bit stupid, there are already QB's with tats...

Personally, I think tats are trashy-looking, but then again, sometimes I wonder if I've been time-warped from the 1950's with some of my views :)

I thought about getting one, then it faded. I, along with only a few hundred people in about 30 years will probably be the only one's without a tatoo.

I don't know why someone would nowadays. Seems like everybody has at least one tatoo. My sister has 4 grown kids (3 girls and 1 boy) and when each of them turned 18 they went and got tatoos.

I can't wait to see my generation when we're old and wrinkly. All that ink is gonna look real nice :)

Thing is with tattoos, it's pretty dumb to think about what they would look like at 80. Because honestly, who the heck cares? lol You're 80 years old. Like you have to take crap from anyone. I am a tattoo supporter and as long as it's meaningful to those who get them, others shouldn't worry about it.

I can't wait to see my generation when we're old and wrinkly. All that ink is gonna look real nice :)
Exactly. Plus, a lot of people get hideous-looking tats to begin with. You would think they wouldn't skimp (go cheap) on something that's gonna be noticeable. I will never understand the tat faze.

Archived