Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there anyone who will NOT vote?

brandymac27

We have a thread for the election, the candidates, etc., but I wanted to start a thread for people who haven't or won't be voting. I'm wondering, if you fall into this category, why will you not vote? Do you dislike all the candidates? Can't get to the polls? What is your reason for NOT voting today?

Me. I'm not voting because I just don't care anymore. I think very little positive about America and I only see it getting worse. I feel no loyalty to it.

What would a candidate's policies/platform have to be for you to feel comfortable voting for them? What are some of the issues you think need fixing so that you do care again?

ETA: What about other candidates/parties that are running? Are you opposed to all of them?

I'm with George Carlin on this, so I don't vote:

"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."

I'm voting, but I feel like the last 3 elections have been crap for candidates. I can say that we really haven't had that "it" guy/girl on either side since probably Clinton's 2nd run. To me, it's been, who is the best of the worst.

I voted 3rd party last time and probably will do the same again this year. I like the priviledge and right of voting and even if the candidates suck, I still feel obligated. My guy won't win, so don't blame me for the last 4 years or the next 4 years.

What would a candidate's policies/platform have to be for you to feel comfortable voting for them? What are some of the issues you think need fixing so that you do care again?

I use to think it could not be an Oligarchy anymore and somebody not towing the flows policies, especially as hard as these two are could come in and make a difference.

The last election, people wanted change so bad they had hope. They got the same old retread bull****. So, we watch people squabble over the tiniest differences or slight changes in stats and graphs and mostly because they enjoy it in the same way we enjoy arguing over whos football team is better.

I think people enjoy their immediate comfort of their daily lives and find more importance in the safety of today. I think people are happy being ignorant and there isn't much hope for that.

I find myself closer to KB's cynicism more and more each election cycle. It's become an exercise in futility when faced with a system of constant propping up of establishment politics and harmful policies that are essentially mirrored by the two main "choices".

I fully understand the perspective of "Why bother?"

I'm not voting today. I just can't in good conscience. I've done a lot of thinking and praying and it just doesn't sit well with me. I've even considered 3rd party candidates, which is the way I normally would've voted.

Wow, I just read those Carlin quotes and that's kind of how I feel. Though applied a bit more Biblicaly in my case. And note, this is my own personal choice. I'm not saying it's a sin to vote or anything like that.

I'm with George Carlin on this, so I don't vote:

"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."

Nailed it.

I'm not voting today. I just can't in good conscience. I've done a lot of thinking and praying and it just doesn't sit well with me. I've even considered 3rd party candidates, which is the way I normally would've voted.

Why not vote 3rd party then? The more people vote 3rd party and the polls reflect that there are more people wanting change, 3rd party candidates have a better chance in the future for becoming a viable option instead of people thinking it would just be a wasted vote.

I find myself closer to KB's cynicism more and more each election cycle. It's become an exercise in futility when faced with a system of constant propping up of establishment politics and harmful policies that are essentially mirrored by the two main "choices".

I fully understand the perspective of "Why bother?"

Last election I was so excited. People were charged. Things had a chance to change.

Things didn't change at all and the people are so happy for what they got.

Why not vote 3rd party then? The more people vote 3rd party and the polls reflect that there are more people wanting change, 3rd party candidates have a better chance in the future for becoming a viable option instead of people thinking it would just be a wasted vote.

I agree in principal. But I just couldn't do it this year. None of the candidates present, to me, what I'd actually want in someone running this country. It's still work in progress, so in another 4 years I may have changed my opinion again.

If someone doesn't want to vote that's their right; nothing wrong with that. I do believe that if you don't vote; then you can't complain with the choices that were made because you choose not to vote. I was listening to someone on coast to coast a couple of weeks ago and the guy said people should not vote. Well, that's their right; the reason he gave was stupid. He was saying that if a significant portion didn't vote; that would get the parties in power to change. I disagree. What needs to be done in this election and future elections is have more and more people vote third party/independent.

I've voted Libertarian for President in 2012,2008 and 2004. Voted Republican in 1988 and 2000 and voted Democrat in 1992.

Archived