Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Day American Died - Twinkie maker Hostess Brands in bankruptcy filing

@DCGoldPants

or Dieted.......

Twinkie maker Hostess Brands in bankruptcy filing

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Enjoy your Twinkies while you can, because Hostess Brands, the storied American manufacturer of Ho Hos and Ding Dongs cake snacks, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Wednesday.

The company, based in Irving, Texas, filed for Chapter 11 protection in U.S. Bankrutpcy Court in New York.

A spokeswoman for Hostess did not immediately return messages from CNNMoney as to whether more employees will lose their jobs, or whether the company will cease making its famous products, including CupCakes and Sno Balls.

The company has about 19,000 full-time and part-time employees, including 10,413 hourly workers and 8,436 salaried workers, according to a court filing. About 83% of the employees are union members.

"The employees have been witness to the closing or sale of several operations within the debtors' business as well as company-wide layoffs or reductions in force," the document said. "The increase pressures on the employees, together with layoffs and general concern about the welfare of the debtors, have led to a decline in employee morale."

More from the not so sweet link......

hostess-twinkies.jpg

Faux+Hostess+Cupcakes+021.jpg

51Ef34Ta8ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These treats, to me, have always been absolutely disgusting anyways.

I'd say America died a little when these things came out. Obesity probably (I don't have the statistics) sky rocketed right around the time that processed cakes came out :)

A company with 18000 employees filing for bankruptcy usually means they don't want to honor their contracts. I don't expect they'll be disappearing.

Too bad. I feel like a fatty the second one of these things hits my lips. It's like you can feel the fat cells clumping together in your mouth to attack your body. :ols:

They also filed in '04

Hostess Brands' date=' maker of Twinkies, Ho-Hos and Ding Dongs, is on the verge of filing for bankruptcy protection for the second time since 2004 in the face of mounting debt and skyrocketing prices for ingredients, according to the Wall Street Journal.

[/quote']

Don't forget the other famous Hostess brand

Wonder_Bread_.jpg

which fed many of us as kids. It was considered a wholesome staple (remember "Builds strong bodies 12 ways"?) until white flour was declared Satan's poison by health food fanatics.

Well, I don't know that I'd call it wholesome. We always said it was called Wonder bread because you wondered whether it was bread. There's something just not right about it and the way you can take a piece and compress it into a tiny ball of what seems like dough, as if it wasn't completely cooked. Sort of like some of those science goos or slimes that do weird things.

Well, I don't know that I'd call it wholesome. We always said it was called Wonder bread because you wondered whether it was bread. There's something just not right about it and the way you can take a piece and compress it into a tiny ball of what seems like dough, as if it wasn't completely cooked. Sort of like some of those science goos or slimes that do weird things.

But it made a damned good peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I guess if your product has a shelf life of like 500 years or whatever absurd number it is, people don't need to keep buying it...

That's an urban myth. And your statement makes no logical sense, unless people don't buy them to eat them but just put them on a shelf.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 09:29 AM ----------

But it made a damned good peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

It was so soft that it is hard to spread the peanut butter on without ripping it or smushing it.

That's an urban myth. And your statement makes no logical sense, unless people don't buy them to eat them but just put them on a shelf.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 09:29 AM ----------

It was so soft that it is hard to spread the peanut butter on without ripping it or smushing it.

My bad, that was my lousy 9 AM attempt at being sarcastic :( I've never bought/eaten a twinkie, so if I had one in my house for some reason it would just sit on a shelf forever.

Archived