Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taxprof.Typepad: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed"

Parsec2010

The report shows that of the 32 states (and the District of Columbia) that are "winners" -- receiving more in federal spending than they pay in federal taxes -- 76% are Red States that voted for George Bush in 2000. Indeed, 17 of the 20 (85%) states receiving the most federal spending per dollar of federal taxes paid are Red States. Here are the Top 10 states that feed at the federal trough (with Red States highlighted in bold):

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2004/09/red_states_feed.html

States Receiving Most in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:

1. D.C. ($6.17)

North Dakota
($2.03)

3. New Mexico ($1.89)

Mississippi
($1.84)

Alaska
($1.82)

West Virginia
($1.74)

Montana
($1.64)

Alabama
($1.61)

South Dakota
($1.59)

Arkansas
($1.53)

States Receiving Least in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid
:
New Jersey
($0.62)

Connecticut
($0.64)

3. New Hampshire ($0.68)

4. Nevada ($0.73)

Illinois
($0.77)

Minnesota
($0.77)

7. Colorado ($0.79)

Massachusetts
($0.79)

California
($0.81)

New York
($0.81)

Wow, I'm shocked actually, I would of figured the Red States with predominately Repbulican Governers and State Senators would be paying more to the Government than they recieve since they pontificate about how evil the Government is.

Liberals.....voting to tax the rich and spend money on the poor then blaming the Reps for the results......classic

got any up to date numbers ?....I'm curious on trends

compare amount of taxes paid to give it a bit more clarity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

350px-US_states_by_federal_tax_revenue.svg.png

---------- Post added July-16th-2011 at 05:13 PM ----------

Bur....ya might be interested to know Texas pays more income tax per capita than Cali.....and total corporate taxes

Don't make start bragging about supporting ya liberals :pfft:

Most Americans don't understand all the various programs and organizations federal money flows in to. They just assume it's all going to welfare or some such.

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 11:20 AM ----------

Seems to me a lot of those states feed us. I kinda appreciate that.

That's what I thought at first. "Well Texas and North Dakota produce all that food, and with farm subsidies the numbers must be skewed."

But California is on the "less" side of the equation and California is the number one agricultural state.

Most Americans don't understand all the various programs and organizations federal money flows in to. They just assume it's all going to welfare or some such.

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 11:20 AM ----------

That's what I thought at first. "Well Texas and North Dakota produce all that food, and with farm subsidies the numbers must be skewed."

But California is on the "less" side of the equation and California is the number one agricultural state.

You need to look at what is really subsidized as far a agriculture to get a clearer picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:United_States_farm_subsidies_%28source_Congressional_Budget_Office%29.svg

the land of milk,fruit and nuts are profitable crops with low subsidies and the major exporter of them

income is a major factor in the inequity,as is the percentage of active workers(as in Floridas % of retirees)...the states welfare policies also effect it

the devil is always in the details

Republicans- saying one thing but doing the opposite- classic.

am I doing it right twa? so much fun to take swipes at the other side and ignore the point.

so many small government advocates from the red states, yet the red states lead in taking aid. this is an old argument, yet right wingers almost unanimously seem to turn a blind eye or come up with excuses for it, but really when you publicly rail against something, but in action you actually take it, and moreso than the actual advocates in favor of aid, it's pretty damned two-faced.

Perhaps you should research what that spending is for. So, no it isn't necessarily "aid". Some is, some isn't, but research is your friend.

I think you took my usage of aid to mean federal aid like welfare or medicaid, but aid as I used it was only meant to mean outside assistance.

does it matter what it's for when they openly blast their opposition for such when they themselves are the biggest offenders?

I think you took my usage of aid to mean federal aid like welfare or medicaid, but aid as I used it was only meant to mean outside assistance.

Well assistance is an unfair word as well. Please LOOK at what the spending is for then make an opinion. You assume states are getting money because of some sort of need which is not true.

am I doing it right twa? so much fun to take swipes at the other side and ignore the point.

Are you seriously contending this thread wasn't a attempted swipe?....and the point of it?

I'm not a good Christian....slap me and you'll draw back a nub.:)

Liberals.....voting to tax the rich and spend money on the poor then blaming the Reps for the results......classic

got any up to date numbers ?....I'm curious on trends

compare amount of taxes paid to give it a bit more clarity

---------- Post added July-16th-2011 at 05:13 PM ----------

[/color]Bur....ya might be interested to know Texas pays more income tax per capita than Cali.....and total corporate taxes

Don't make start bragging about supporting ya liberals :pfft:

Texas also receives an enormous amount of federal contracts. It also has deficit problems, much of which was pushed to the next legislative cycle by Gov. Perry.

I like Texas. I have family there and I have visited the state on several occasions, but it has problems, both in educational and with health care efforts. Heck, many schools there won't even have new textbooks when the school year begins due to conservative fiscal efforts who deem corporate cuts more important than education funding.

California certainly has problems, but Texas lags the nation in many indicators, too.

Meanwhile, the Republicans now want to tax the poor and the middle class to pay for tax cuts for the rich. I suppose you believe that is a better plan, eh? Because America was doing pretty well when the tax rate on the wealthy was at 39% -- heck, it was at 91% during Ike's terms in office, and he wasn't a Democrat.

Deficit problems?....you reading Krugman? :pfft:

deficits are forbidden by law....period

State debt is among the lowest in the nation (#2 in the last list I saw)

texas-second-lowest.gif

In fact, the "bad" kind of government debt-- non-self-supporting debt-- has decreased by 16% (from $3.4 to $2.85 billion) in Texas over the past ten years.

Future liabilities (public employee pensions ect) are also low

forbesdebtscorecard.gif

texasonlystateaddingjobsoftop20.gif

Keep talking and I might start bragging....I'm happy in my little corner of Hell :cool:

Republicans don't believe in paying for anything they do in government. They even refused to fund the border fence they talked about for years. They'll support government actions but then can't work up the stomach needed to pay for them. Bush couldn't even bring himself to include the spending needed to sustain two wars in the budget reports, possibly because it would make congress refuse to support it. (that last line was a joke)

Destino:

your right, nevermind.

though it was both sides:

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced Tuesday that she will freeze all funds to expand the virtual fence program along the U.S. border with Mexico, Instead, she said, $50 million in stimulus money will be redirected to commercially available security technology, like remote video surveillance and mobile radios, cameras and laptops.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/17/gop-conflicted-napolitanos-decision-freeze-funding-virtual-border-fence#ixzz1SOK6Vn7t

Who is blaming the Reps for the results? Things like this just show the hypocrisy of those who live in Red states screaming about cutting the very spending that they use so much. The only thing that is classic here is that the Reps want to cut spending...but only spending that is spent on anyone but themselves.

Yes twa we get it, Texas has a HUGE oil industry that keeps them looking pretty. Remove the oil industry from Texas and they will look a lot more like every state that surrounds them.

As long as the sheep in my state continue to vote for the same scumbags who are draining us dry, we'll always be screwed. It's even more ridiculous at the local level.

I gotta admit ya'll are getting raped

Well assistance is an unfair word as well. Please LOOK at what the spending is for then make an opinion. You assume states are getting money because of some sort of need which is not true.

Would you care to share with the class? I've found that the 9/11 conspiracy theorist style "do your own research!" is remarkably ineffective at actually persuading anyone of anything, and sometimes even conceals an an actual ignorance of the underlying facts by the poster.

So please, enlighten us.

Archived