Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taxprof.Typepad: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed"

Parsec2010

Would you care to share with the class? I've found that the 9/11 conspiracy theorist style "do your own research!" is remarkably ineffective at actually persuading anyone of anything, and sometimes even conceals an an actual ignorance of the underlying facts by the poster.

So please, enlighten us.

Your a big boy techboy.

Elkabong is posting it like it's some sort of Republican welfare based on Republican policies. He really has no clue what the numbers mean.

You red and blue defenders do the very thing you want our congress not to do.

The numbers spent really have little meaning....you know statistics lie?

There is no conspiracy on my part. I just state simple truths. The numbers have no meaning. Here is a simple blog on the why of the distribution.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/1397.html

Who is blaming the Reps for the results? Things like this just show the hypocrisy of those who live in Red states screaming about cutting the very spending that they use so much. The only thing that is classic here is that the Reps want to cut spending...but only spending that is spent on anyone but themselves.

Yes twa we get it, Texas has a HUGE oil industry that keeps them looking pretty. Remove the oil industry from Texas and they will look a lot more like every state that surrounds them.

New addition to my sig

Perry’s biggest strength is he can look Obama in the eye and say, I inherited an economy from George Bush, too.

John the Libertarian

You red and blue defenders do the very thing you want our congress not to do.

I'm collecting lots of affiliations lately. Apparently, I'm a tax and spend liberal Michele Bachmann supporter now... :ols:

You could have just posted this to begin with, you know. :)

P.S. I wasn't suggesting you were proposing a conspiracy theory. I was just pointing out it's a frequent tactic of conspiracy theorists.

P.P.S Reading more closely, that article doesn't appear to address what you were getting at, that's it's the type of spending that matters, and is not covered in the original article. Would you like to try again?

so receiving federal spending, more than you pay back in taxes, doesn't qualify as aid?

There are A LOT of people that draw more out of Social Security than they ever pay in so I guess this is considered "aid" also. Yet this is a sacred cow that dems refuse to touch and revamp.

I'm collecting lots of affiliations lately. Apparently, I'm a tax and spend liberal Michele Bachmann supporter now... :ols:

Be careful...if you start getting mischaracterized enough, you may be entered into a future mod draft. :D

Well, using left-leaning logic, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that blue states need to pay more of "their fair share." :)

And using right leaning logic those blue states will leave the US if we don't reduce their burden and none of us will have jobs or money without them.

P.P.S Reading more closely, that article doesn't appear to address what you were getting at, that's it's the type of spending that matters, and is not covered in the original article. Would you like to try again?

Well as an example Sandia Labs funding/New Mexico. I would love to provide you a link to what each state spends their money on. I don't have one. My point is "aid" is a little misleading.

This money doled out isn't just for welfare and the poor. It funds many different programs in this country.

My main point is a red/blue argument over this statistic in this article is a little overboard.

Why can't we all just get along ;)

So the highest Earners should pay more in taxes than the lower income by an incredible amount.

But the highest Earner States should get equal payments as the lower income.

Can we try and be a skosh more consistent :)

And again, the farmland is more important to me as I don' thave the time to hunt and garden.

Deficit problems?....you reading Krugman? :pfft:

No, there have been a number of articles which talks about the Texan state government's shortfalls. Criticism has been leveled towards Gov. Perry, too, for the accounting "tricks" he and the legislate used to avoid some of the budgetary pain.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704513104575256734081528528.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_PoliticsNCampaign

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-taxes/2011-budget-shortfall/about/

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/01/19/whats-the-matter-with-texas/a-self-inflicted-mess

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/19/news/economy/texas_budget_deficit/index.htm

http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-budget-shortfall-2011-1

I can post a ton more articles on this subject, but maybe you get the point.

Here is an irony: Perry used stimulus money, the very funds he decried, to balance the state budget.

deficits are forbidden by law....period

So what? That doesn't mean Perry has inccurred a growing debt, much of which has been pushed forward into 2012 and 2013. You know -- "generational theft," in Republican parlance.

Keep talking and I might start bragging....I'm happy in my little corner of Hell :cool:

In spite of the pretty pictures, perhaps if you read different sources, you wouldn't be so happy, especially since Texas lags in education and health care.

:ols: I'll trust my perception of reality and ability to discern facts....it seems to have worked out well for me and mine so far .

decadeofeconomicgrowthcomparisons.gif

Generational theft eh?

Low debt,low liabilities strong diversified economy,billions in the bank ....I think the younguns might get by

healthcare is so bad I meet people from all over the world that traveled to get treated here.

Schools could always be better,but we still outdo most head to head

I guess ignorance is bliss and I'm wallowing in it.:cool:

:ols: I'll trust my perception of reality and ability to discern facts....it seems to have worked out well for me and mine so far .

Generational theft eh?

Low debt,low liabilities strong diversified economy,billions in the bank ....I think the younguns might get by

healthcare is so bad I meet people from all over the world that traveled to get treated here.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut ever once in a while. Texas has 5 good years out of like 30, and you'd think they'd invented paper.

So the highest Earners should pay more in taxes than the lower income by an incredible amount.

But the highest Earner States should get equal payments as the lower income.

Can we try and be a skosh more consistent :)

And again, the farmland is more important to me as I don' thave the time to hunt and garden.

but you DO have time to weave your own clothing? or forge your own auto parts? or program your own CGI for your own private little movies???

I have to in all seriousness say that THIS^^^ was one of the mose simplistic and vapid statements i have seen on this board.

(edit::: i take that back... teh competition is simply too strong...)

---------- Post added July-18th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

decadeofeconomicgrowthcomparisons.gif

Generational theft eh?

i will have to point out that Texas has to jump all over GROWTH numbers (recent percentage change in whatever indicators) because their LEVEL indicators simply don't stack up.

but horaay for Texas for going strong when the rest of the coutry stumbles. i hope they attract some internal migration ... and eventually catch up with the rest of us :)

There are A LOT of people that draw more out of Social Security than they ever pay in so I guess this is considered "aid" also. Yet this is a sacred cow that dems refuse to touch and revamp.

Yeah I don't get that either. It doesn't help that the reps screwed it over either; you'd think with that the left could use such as an excuse to revamp it. Nothing that needs fixing should be self-imposed off limits.

but you DO have time to weave your own clothing? or forge your own auto parts? or program your own CGI for your own private little movies???

I have to in all seriousness say that THIS^^^ was one of the mose simplistic and vapid statements i have seen on this board.

(edit::: i take that back... teh competition is simply too strong...))

Farming is known to be hard work over vast expanses of land using incredibly expensive equipment for little pay and dependent on random weather patterns. I thought i had noticed many of the STATES listed included were Farming States.

CGI graphics would be easy money.

I have a library of vapid comments, I didn't think this was one that i could add to my list.

I didn't realize this was a referendum against Texas. A lot of Texas hate out there.

Hate? How so? So, it's alright for the Right to criticize debts and deficits, but it becomes hate when anyone else does so?

What an odd response.

---------- Post added July-18th-2011 at 04:49 PM ----------

So, you're willing to ignore your state's problems so you can fulfill your own sense of satisfaction. Gotcha.

I will say, though, that this isn't the way you solve problems -- by ignoring them. And you are ignoring the budgetary issues which are partially due to the policies of the governor which you seem to admire.

Here is the reality: Texan state debt has doubled under Perry. You say you have a "low debt," but your assertion must be years out of date:

"According to the board's annual reports, Texas had $34.08 billion in outstanding bonds and notes as of Aug. 31 — the end of the 2009 fiscal year."

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2010/mar/04/bill-white/white-says-texas-debt-has-doubled-under-perry/

Your "perception of reality and ability to discern facts" would be well served by listening to multiple sources, as I had provided.

You said it, not me. :-)

Good ol' Rick Perry.

He straddled Texas with a structural deficit (guaranteed $10 billion in deficit at the start of each 2 year Budget) due to his micalculations on revenue generation.

:ols:

Not to mention that his solution to the $27 billion budget deficit facing him this year (and next since its a 2 year budget) was to push most of it into the next budget cycle (in 2013).

Yep.

That's conservative gold right there.

BTW - the OP topic is one that I have been harping on ad nauseum for awhile. If only my state got back what it paid in federal taxes.

There more than likely wouldn't be a state budget problem. Sigh. :doh:

Care to compare others states debt?

I already did

lets compare NY (a very close economic match)

As of March 31, 2006 New York State had approximately $48.5 billion of total State-Funded debt. This includes $3.5 billion in General Obligation bonds and notes outstanding and an additional $45.0 billion issued and outstanding by State public authorities.

wanna guess what it is now???

In addition to this State-Funded debt, public authorities had over $80.0 billion in other debt outstanding as of December 31, 2005.

Care to compare others states debt?

I already did

lets compare NY (a very close economic match)

As of March 31, 2006 New York State had approximately $48.5 billion of total State-Funded debt. This includes $3.5 billion in General Obligation bonds and notes outstanding and an additional $45.0 billion issued and outstanding by State public authorities.

wanna guess what it is now???

In addition to this State-Funded debt, public authorities had over $80.0 billion in other debt outstanding as of December 31, 2005.

When NY gets a cash cow like Big Oil to continuously keep it out of the ****hole, wake me up.

Perry has done little than pass the buck onto the next legislature each 2 year session. Not sure why you love the guy so much, is all.

Archived