Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports :Adrian Peterson : NFL is like "Modern day slavery"

Goingforburgundy

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson made some controversial comments about the NFL labor situation in an interview with Doug Farrar of Yahoo's Shutdown Corner. The interview was conducted just before the NFLPA decertified.

"It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money," Peterson continued. "The owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money."

Farrar took out the quote shortly after publishing. He tweeted that he wanted to give Peterson an opportunity to explain. Farrar described the comment as "a real misstep."

When asked about the owners not showing their financial information, Peterson suggested that they are hiding something.

"Well, show us.' We want more information, and they want to bull****, going around, saying this and that, just open it up and give us the information we want. If they have nothing to hide, just give us the information," the 25-year-old said. "Why not? Obviously, there's a lot to hide -- these guys are professionals, and they're maximizing what they do."

Full article here

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Adrian-Peterson-gives-readers-a-8220-Double-Ta?urn=nfl-wp206

This is the ignorant thing I have ever read. I could think of 65416315647 people who would kill to have his job of playing a game as a profession

I want to put this in the thread where the guy told me the players were smart enough to look at the owners book because they were all college educated.....I'd love for Adrian to sit down with me and have a little history lesson.

1. Millions Of Dollars Per Year

2. Pension

3. Health Insurance

4. Mansions

5. Fancy Cars

6. Nice Hotels

7. Luxury Accommodations

8. The Ability To Negotiate For More Money

9. Bonuses

10. The Ability To Come And Go As You Please

Slavery? :slap:

Not even close. Last time I checked, slaves got none of these luxuries. So is he saying he supports slavery? I mean think about it, he willingly plays in the NFL instead of retiring. Interesting to hear a black man supporting slavery. The world really has turned upside down.

What a shame, you'd think a professional would have more sense than this. I've heard a lot, I mean A LOT of people in various situations over the years that tried to inaccurately race bait, inject racism that isn't there, make slavery references, etc. but this would even make Jesse Jackson shake his head in disbelief.

Way to disrespect the former slaves and descendants of actual slaves. Who knew Harriet Tubman was so well payed. What was she running from and getting all those other slaves out for? They apparently had it made. :doh:

What is really sad is thay he isn't the only person to have said this. I think it was Shaq who said this about the NBA a few years ago. It's just disappointing that people who have it so well, have no perspective.

Tomorrow in History 28:

The War between the States was unnecessary. All the slaves had to do was decertify and their owners would acquiesce to their demands.

---------- Post added March-15th-2011 at 10:44 PM ----------

I used to like AP :( He looks like Petey! :) (I think that was his name)

At first I was like

faison.jpg

But then I

titans.jpg

Going back and reading AP's full statement it appears that his statement was taken out of context

AP: It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money … the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey — without us, there's no football.' There are so many different perspectives from different players, and obviously we're not all on the same page — I don't know. I don't really see this going to where we'll be without football for a long time; there's too much money lost for the owners. Eventually, I feel that we'll get something done.

Archived