Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Teen drinking leads to crackdown on 'cool' parents

BigMike619

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/12/coolparents.drinking/index.html

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Shortly after midnight on January 24, a 16-year old boy from Powder Springs, Georgia, crashed his car into an oncoming vehicle. Garrett Reed, a star football player at Harrison High School, died instantly. Police believe he had been drinking.

According to police, the investigation revealed that a classmate's mother served alcohol to Reed. Police charged 43-year-old Kecia Evangela Whitfield with furnishing alcohol to a minor and reckless conduct, both misdemeanors.

Whitfield was released on a $10,000 bond and awaits a court date in April. Records on file with the Cobb County solicitor general's office indictate she has not yet entered a plea or obtained a lawyer. She did not return CNN's phone calls.

If convicted, she could receive up to a year in jail and fines totaling thousands of dollars.

Toxicology reports for Reed will be released in six weeks, officials said. His death stunned the small community of Powder Springs and sounded an alarm for parents.

1 year in jail? thats it? thats horrible...she should face much more then that.

i was listening to elliot in the morning the other day and they were talking about parent supplying alcohol for teens. there was one caller that said her husband had bought mike's hard lemonade one night for their 16 yr old niece to try one time at their house. the next day the niece called child services and told them that her uncle had bought her alcohol. he spent 8 months in jail for it.

i was listening to elliot in the morning the other day and they were talking about parent supplying alcohol for teens. there was one caller that said her husband had bought mike's hard lemonade one night for their 16 yr old niece to try one time at their house. the next day the niece called child services and told them that her uncle had bought her alcohol. he spent 8 months in jail for it.

Wow, what a vindictive little *****.

In a controlled environment, I have no problems with my kids drinking once they turn 16.

I figure they will drink either way, so why not take away their keys and create a fun, SAFE, environment to drink alcohol and keep them off the roads.

My parents where the same way and it worked out great. They rather have my friends over and drink rather than in some dark park.

There was a similar case here. No accident involved, but the parents got hit hard and a bunch of football players got the ax for the season

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_10824461?IADID=Search-ydr.inyork.com-ydr.inyork.com

Residents call Dallastown charges 'a lesson'

Some Dallastown-area residents reacted to the underage-drinking case.

By ANGIE MASON

Daily Record/Sunday News

Posted: 10/27/2008 12:23:27 AM EDT

The charges filed against adults and youths in connection with an underage drinking party in Dallastown show there are consequences for everyone, one Dallastown youth football coach said Sunday.

"It's a lesson for parents, not just kids," Dan Kennedy said.

On Friday, York Area Regional Police charged four adults with providing alcohol to Dallastown Area High School students at a party on Oct. 5. Four juveniles and two 18-year-olds were also cited with underage drinking.

Some Dallastown-area residents said that, if the adults knowingly provided the alcohol, they deserve the punishment.

"If my son was at that party, I'd have a lawsuit against them," said Corey Sunday, who was at Tailgaters Grille and Drafthouse in York Township on Sunday with Kennedy and Rob Catchings. All three coach

Dallastown Cougars youth football.

"I know it wouldn't happen in my house," Kennedy said.

The adults might have thought they were controlling the environment, he said, but, if the allegations are true, they "messed up."

"It was bad judgment on their part," he said.

Michael and Christine Kinsey, who live in the Dallastown school district, said they have underage children.

"They don't get served in our house," Christine Kinsey said.

Michael Kinsey said that, if adults provide alcohol to minors, they have to take the consequences.

But, he said the Dallastown Area School District overreacted in punishing the kids involved.

School officials have said they cut eight football players and several cheerleaders from those activities because the students signed a pledge promising not to drink, smoke or use drugs.

That's what bothers Sunday and Kennedy.

"They talk about teaching lessons . . . but when do we ruin a kid's life because of a bad mistake?" Kennedy said. A football player could lose a college scholarship by being cut from the team, he said.

Sunday said high school is all about learning from mistakes. Now, without their extra-curricular activities, the kids have nothing to lose, he said.

He said the students should have been suspended for a few games but given the chance to come back.

"It took away a whole season from these guys," he said.

My parents where the same way and it worked out great. They rather have my friends over and drink rather than in some dark park.

My wifes parents were the "cool" type of parents, and would supply a place to party and the alcohol as long as the kids gave up their keys and stayed the night.

My parents were strict, I wanted to drink and go to parties when kids parents were out of town so what did we do. We shoulder tappedan got as much cheap alcohhol as possible and drove to the party. We then drank all of the alcohol and drove to the next place.

After hearing my wifes party stories and compared them to mine they were pretty much the same minus the drunk driving. The woman in this story is stupid for not taking away the teens keys.

if you can go to war at 18 you can drink a beer

Actually, I've been saying ever since the drinking age got raised to 21 (thus beginning this argument) that I think US military personnel should be allowed to drink on base.

My reasoning is that if Gomer Pyle wants to hoist a few at the enlisted club, then he's not going to be driving back to the barracks.

And if he drinks so much that he's unfit for duty the next morning, then I'm certain that Sergeant Carter has several very creative ways to "instruct" his privates that soldiers do not have the right to render themselves unfit for duty.

I remember some friends in HS who had parents that would throw them parties.

One guy I knew- his dad would take messages from everyone on Friday night as they called, so when his son checked in he would know where all the parties were. (the days before cell phones) :doh:

:secret:Serving alcohol to minors without telling the minor's parents that you're going to do it, IMO, is also a no-no.

I agree with this and would have to know more about the kid and his parents before making the suggestion. I know my closest of freinds will not have a problem with it, the kids he mets in school might be a different story.

In a controlled environment, I have no problems with my kids drinking once they turn 16.

I figure they will drink either way, so why not take away their keys and create a fun, SAFE, environment to drink alcohol and keep them off the roads.

I see that, and part of me wants to agree. But I have seen too many times when it got out of hand. Even the most responsible parent, can be irresponsible.

Example- went to several graduation parties while a cop- most were funded/supplied by parents. Numerous kids I've seen drunk at a parent sanctioned party, were so drunk they couldn't stand, projectile vomitted (that was some gross ****)...or drove drunk.

The worst case happened near where I grew up.

KENNEWICK, Wash. -- Nearly a year after the death of a teenager from excessive drinking, two adults have been charged with second-degree manslaughter by supplying the alcohol.

Timothy T. Goodman, 47, challenged Rodre'on "Roc" Jackson, 15, to a "shot contest" in which the two drank a fifth of Crown Royal whiskey, and his wife Yonie, 44, checked the Internet for information on alcohol poisoning but ignored advice to call for aid after Jackson passed out, according to Benton County prosecutors.

Jackson died at the Goodmans' home June 6 following a graduation party. His blood-alcohol content was 0.315 to 0.32, about four times the legal threshold for drunken driving, and death was from heart failure caused by excessive alcohol consumption, the county coroner ruled.

In filing the charges Thursday, prosecutors said they believed it was the first time a youngster has died in the county because of adults supplying alcohol.

The Goodmans' telephone was disconnected and they could not be reached by the Tri-City Herald for comment last week. They are scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.

In documents filed in court, prosecutors wrote that the Goodmans purchased beer and hard liquor for their son's graduation party, made it available to all who attended and required all juvenile drivers who were drinking to first hand over car keys so they wouldn't be able to drive under the influence of alcohol.

Deputy prosecutor Scott Johnson said the investigation was delayed because of difficulties interviewing witnesses.

"Obviously, some of the witnesses are related to the defendants and that created a unique situation," Johnson said, "and it's a complex case and different than most homicide type of charges. It just required additional research."

http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=33797

BTW, the couple pled in 06.

COPYRIGHT 2006 Tri-City Herald

Byline: Kristin M. Kraemer

May 6--In a plea deal that spared the wife from going to jail, a Kennewick couple took responsibility Friday for a 2004 graduation party at which a 15-year-old boy died of alcohol poisoning.

Timothy T. Goodman, 48, will do a year in jail on work release for his modified guilty plea to second-degree manslaughter in the death of Rodre'on "Roc" Jackson.

Yonie K. Goodman, 45, also entered an Alford plea in Benton County Superior Court to a misdemeanor charge of furnishing liquor to a minor.

She was ordered to do 80 hours of community service. A sentence of 365 days in jail was suspended on the condition she complete the community service, not commit any other crimes in the next two years and pay all court costs and her share of $4,227 to Crime Victims Compensation.

The pleas mean the Goodmans denied committing the crimes but believed prosecutors had enough evidence to convict them at trial and decided to take advantage of plea negotiations.

The deals came on the eve of trial for Timothy...

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-15137661_ITM

I think safety and maturity are the biggest issues, not age...I'm not legally old enough to drink and God knows I've done plenty of stupid things under the influence but on the other hand there are plenty of 21+ year olds that get ridiculously wasted and do stupid things too...

They're trying to change the drinkin age at a lot of colleges though because the schools keep getting in trouble when the unders are sneaking into bars or getting wasted at frat parties or in their dorms....

But I doubt they'll change it any time soon...even though it should be 18 since you can do everything else when you're 18 except rent a car...

(I'll be 21 in a month and a half yayy!)

I feel the same way, but the fact of the matter is that it's illegal. The amount of trouble you'll get into when one kid doesn't keep his mouth shut isn't worth being a "cool" parent. :2cents:

I feel the same way, but the fact of the matter is that it's illegal. The amount of trouble you'll get into when one kid doesn't keep his mouth shut isn't worth being a "cool" parent. :2cents:

True enough, I've allowed a few small parties,but you can bet I knew the kids and parents and kept everything under close watch.

One idiot,or kid sneaking out is all it takes to land your butt in a world of trouble.

On the other hand I can serve my own kids legally.

Archived