Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Teen drinking leads to crackdown on 'cool' parents

BigMike619

What was the complaint if I may ask?

You also have to remember someone not invited may report it out of spite.

Oh the tangled webs we weave, when first we practice to deceive:D

My daughter is just 18 so it may not be the last,but it won't be many.

Yowzas. My parents would have beat my butt if I drank at their home when I was in high school, even college. Hell, I'm still trying to manipulate them into letting us have alcohol at my upcomming wedding at home...so far I've got them agreed to champagne, wine, and a signature martini, but even then I have to submit to them a list of designated drivers.

Although, it's annoying for me and I'm whining and complaining to them about it, I kind of understand where they're coming from. They don't drink, say they've worked on too many alcohol-related accident victims, and they tell me they'd never forgive themselves if someone got drunk under their "supervision" and were subsequently injured or even killed in an accident. Granted, we're not total high school idiots anymore, but idiocy is never ruled out when alcohol is involved, I know.

As far as contributing to underage drinking goes, I think that is a parent's responsibility to judge the maturity of their teenager when providing them alcohol in the confines of their own home. And obviously I don't think they should let them drive.

As for allowing other people's kids into your home to serve them alcohol in a "safe" environment, I think that's a big no no. I kind of live by the CYA rule in life, and allowing underage drinking in your home is always opening yourself up to something going wrong, no matter how small you try to make that risk. I'd be not only worried about possible legal ramifications, but how I'd live with myself if somehow someone got behind a wheel or decided to do some rad flip off a ledge or something equally as boneheaded and hurt themselves. I'd be screwed legally and I'd feel pretty awful to boot.

As for allowing other people's kids into your home to serve them alcohol in a "safe" environment, I think that's a big no no. I kind of live by the CYA rule in life, and allowing underage drinking in your home is always opening yourself up to something going wrong, no matter how small you try to make that risk.
See, I understand this, but OTOH, if they're gonna drink anyway, might as well take their keys and have it in a controlled environment :2cents:

See, I understand this, but OTOH, if they're gonna drink anyway, might as well take their keys and have it in a controlled environment :2cents:

Thing is, my kids and their buddies are not going to "drink anyway" under my watch on my property. I'm not going to make myself or my husband vulnerable like that.

As for my children, if they are going out and drinking at parties in high school, well, I'll deal with that on a child by child basis...but they won't be drinking or having parties in my home.

couldn't believe reading this story this morning....:doh:

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2009/02/17/news/news02.txt

Officers say they were locked out, bar may face license suspension

POST FALLS -- Police cited 10 minors and a bartender at the Falls Club on Sunday night after officers said they were locked out of the business when they drove up for a routine check on the bar.

According to police reports, officers arrived at the landmark bar at 611 E. Seltice Way at 11:46 p.m. and saw bartender Shannon Allert standing out front.

"She noticed a marked police car and ran into the bar screaming, 'Cops,'" Post Falls police Capt. Scot Haug said.

When officers went to open the front door, it was locked, Haug said. After they knocked and there was no response, they went to a side entrance only to learn that it was blocked by a stack of chairs, he said.

After officers forced their way in through the side door, they saw 10 minors, some as young as 16, huddled in a corner along with an empty table that had open beer containers.

Allert told officers that she was not locking them out, but the general public because a private gathering was taking place. However, Haug said there were also some adult patrons drinking at the bar.

Allert told officers that the minors were simply meeting at the bar to go to her son's birthday party, according to the report. But the minors admitted to police they had been drinking, Haug said.

Allert was cited for providing alcohol to minors and failure to allow for an inspection.

"It's hard to fathom a birthday party starting after midnight, but anything is possible," Haug said.

No one at the Falls Club could be reached for comment on Monday.

Haug said parents of all the minors under 18 were contacted to pick up their children. Those 18 and older were allowed to leave because they were not intoxicated, Haug said.

Haug said the case will be forwarded to the state and further sanctions, including another suspension of the bar's liquor license, are pending from the city and/or state.

"We were concerned that these kids could have left the bar and gotten involved in an accident and their parents may not have known what was going on," Haug said.

The bust was the latest of a myriad of police activity at the bar in recent years.

Last August it was shut down for 12 days for both overserving and serving those under 21. The bar agreed to a 12-day suspension of its liquor license and a $3,500 fine for the 2007 violations reported to the state Alcohol Beverage Control by Post Falls Police.

Police raided the bar about three years ago after responding to a string of complaints and calls to the business, including fights and serving minors.

"We've been there a couple other times (for inspections) and each time we've found violations, but this has been the most egregious," Haug said.

i was listening to elliot in the morning the other day and they were talking about parent supplying alcohol for teens. there was one caller that said her husband had bought mike's hard lemonade one night for their 16 yr old niece to try one time at their house. the next day the niece called child services and told them that her uncle had bought her alcohol. he spent 8 months in jail for it.

there has got to be more to that story. why in the world would the niece call child services?

there has got to be more to that story. why in the world would the niece call child services?

Maybe there was a reason he wanted her drunk?

Or maybe she didn't like the hangover

The bar one was funny ljsheeley ols

Serving your kid's friends is one thing, but isn't it technically legal for a parent to serve his/her own child alcohol on the family's own private property? I vaguely remember hearing something like this a while back, but I'm hazy on the details.

Archived