Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA House Bill 3202: Virginia Residents Now Wear Scarlet Letter

HouseBowlrz

(my apologies in advance if this is already an active thread)

Lawmakers in the State of Virginia passed House Bill 3202, which went into effect on 1 July, mandates stiff civil penalties for traffic violations but only for residents of Virginia.

Details of the bill ... http://tinyurl.com/39fc3g ... and what are called "Civil Remedial Fees" ... http://tinyurl.com/2hcre2.

I don't have a problem with the steeper fines as it may be a good deterrent to all the "road rage" that's out there. The issue that many within Virginia are having is that it does not apply to out of state drivers.

Here in Northern Virginia, we get them every day ... and Interstates 81 and 95 get plenty of "through traffic". They are just as capable of irresponsible driving and should face the same, stiff penalties.

There is an on-line petition calling for this bill's repeal: http://www.petitiononline.com/va3202/petition.html. At the time of this post, there are already 8000 signatures.

Maybe it's time to move to West Virginia ???

cheers

oh yes, we've had a VERY long discussion about this. i guess the bill of rights is no longer fashionable in our government.

No doubt this is a dumb question, but could you mention to me which part of the Bill of Rights you think is being violated, here?

:)

No doubt this is a dumb question, but could you mention to me which part of the Bill of Rights you think is being violated, here?

:)

the eighth amendment:

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

come on larry, brush up on that constitution :)

Drive the ****ing speed limit you idiots!!!! :laugh:

Maybe it's because we don't live there but I agree with this statement. Everyone seems upset when they should be happy. This should deter people from breaking the law while behind the wheel of a car making the roads safer. I can't for the life of me see how this is a bad thing. But, I'm obviously a dense out-of-stater.

the eighth amendment:

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

come on larry, brush up on that constitution :)

I cry "Uncle".

(Me, I'd be more inclined to challenge the law using the "equal protection" clause, which is part of the Constitution, but isn't in the Bill of Rights. Although again, if I were Virginia, I'd say "it's a tax" (which, let's face it, a lot of you folks are saying already.))

easy for you to say. hell, this law doesn't even apply to you when you ARE in virginia.

damn politicians :mad:

So now that I have a Florida license instead of a VA one, this won't apply to me anymore? Because if so...this Ex-Virginian is passing all y'all on the parkway!

How about this one, failure to signal a lane change is a cool $1000.00. We could pay of the US debt if they enacted and enforced this everywhere.

Please take my comment for what it was worth....just jokes.

I drove south from WAshington to Fredericksburg last week and saw those signs though.....

Did you guys see WHY it's not for out of state drivers? Because it's a Civil fine, and you are allowed to pay it over a payment plan, and they admit that they will have little luck getting other states to force their citizens to pay...

Freaking funny!

Do you all still have the Car Tax as well?

Please take my comment for what it was worth....just jokes.

I drove south from WAshington to Fredericksburg last week and saw those signs though.....

Thats a completly different thing. It's a Highway Safety Corridor. The huge fines there refer to the normal criminal part of the traffic ticket. These civil fines are on top of all the normal criminal penalties. Some people have even brought up using double jeopardy law as a defense. You have been punished by the courts and the state is also punishing you on top of that.

Also, you can't say that this is a liberal vs. conservative thing because the bill's sponsor is a Republican, and it seemed it was voted for by pretty hefty margins. This wasn't a close call in the GA.

BTW, I don't see speeding on that list at all. Is it somewhere I'm missing?

As for me, I live in this state and I say drive the damn speed limit, people.

how would you feel about a $1000.00 fine for failure to signal a lane change? Or maybe a cool grand for improper use of brakes. (Not even sure what that is)

If it were for DUI's and speeding in excess of 20mph over the limit I think most would be ok with it. It is just excessive for minor infractions.

Archived