Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA House Bill 3202: Virginia Residents Now Wear Scarlet Letter

HouseBowlrz

I was against this at first, so I wrote a letter to my represenative as well as the governor about it. I got a letter back from the govenor and I am much more comfortable with it. The papers are leaving out several key points in it. First this is targeted at abusive drivers, you know people who are always getting tickets.

1) The Civil fines only kick in if you have more than 8 points on your license.

2) They only kick in after you have been convicted of Reckless driving, driving on a suspended license, DUI, Etc.

3) The fees ranger between $100 and $700 and are based on the amount of points you have on your license. if you have 16 points then the fee is $700

I honestly don't have a problem with that at all.

I was against this at first, so I wrote a letter to my represenative as well as the governor about it. I got a letter back from the govenor and I am much more comfortable with it. The papers are leaving out several key points in it. First this is targeted at abusive drivers, you know people who are always getting tickets.

2) They only kick in after you have been convicted of Reckless driving, driving on a suspended license, DUI, Etc.

3) The fees ranger between $100 and $700 and are based on the amount of points you have on your license. if you have 16 points then the fee is $700

What if you have a reckless driving ticket from 10 years ago?

I think the politicians response to you is BS. Here is a link to an article breaking it down. It also has a direct link to the statute. The over 8 points is an additional fee that is levied on top of the others due to your past bad driving.

The civil fines are based on the violation not the number of points on you license. The minimum fee they have is driving without a license, which is 3 installments of 250.00 each. It goes up from there.

Here is the link, read it over.

The Truth about the Fines

The Actual Statute

I think the politicians response to you is BS. Here is a link to an article breaking it down. It also has a direct link to the statute. The over 8 points is an additional fee that is levied on top of the others due to your past bad driving.

The civil fines are based on the violation not the number of points on you license. The minimum fee they have is driving without a license, which is 3 installments of 250.00 each. It goes up from there.

Here is the link, read it over.

The Truth about the Fines

The Actual Statute

Ok perhaps I should have made it more clear. There is a fee for serious offenses (Misdemeanor's and felonies) and there is one for having high points. I mean really most of the stuff you get a civil fee for is pretty bad in the first place. I mean do you really need to drive over 80 Mph? Driving without a licnese is bad....I mean there is a reason you don't have a licesnse right?

Ok perhaps I should have made it more clear. There is a fee for serious offenses (Misdemeanor's and felonies) and there is one for having high points. I mean really most of the stuff you get a civil fee for is pretty bad in the first place. I mean do you really need to drive over 80 Mph? Driving without a licnese is bad....I mean there is a reason you don't have a licesnse right?

What about failure to signal a lane change, or improper use of breaks? They are both on the list and will run you a $1000.00 fine on top of your regular criminal fines.

Update:

Link to Article

They spoke after legislators in both parties called for a special session to repeal the civil remedial fees that took effect in addition to existing fines, court costs, license suspensions and possible jail time on July 1.

Some of the widespread alarm over the fees, Kaine and the legislative leaders said, is the result of inaccurate claims on blogs and elsewhere that led people to believe they would pay thousands for traffic violations as minor as improper turn signals.

From the Statute.

46.2-860 RD - FAIL TO GIVE PROPER SIGNAL - MISDEMEANOR ©2 $350 Misdemeanor 1

Link

I don't think we "failed to understand".

Update:

Link to Article

They spoke after legislators in both parties called for a special session to repeal the civil remedial fees that took effect in addition to existing fines, court costs, license suspensions and possible jail time on July 1.

Some of the widespread alarm over the fees, Kaine and the legislative leaders said, is the result of inaccurate claims on blogs and elsewhere that led people to believe they would pay thousands for traffic violations as minor as improper turn signals.

From the Statute.

Link

... and remember, that's $350 times three (years).

Here's one: 46.2-1086 RD - OPERATE WITH A SMOKE SCREEN/FELONY C(5) $1,000

I hope that doesn't mean tinted windows ...

:cheers:

Here's one: 46.2-1086 RD - OPERATE WITH A SMOKE SCREEN/FELONY C(5) $1,000

I hope that doesn't mean tinted windows ...

Maybe they're referring to those motorists who never have to change their oil, they just add a quart every few days.

Update:

Link to Article

From the Statute.

Link

I sure didn't. :mad:

The word is Gov Kaine and the VA House and Senate are crapping their collective pants over the backlash and pointing fingers at each other for this (pardon the pun) fine piece of legislation.

The sponsor of this current law is Del David Albo who is a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon law firm. They specialize in "serious traffic law." Man, talk about a conflict of intrest. Everyone who voted for this hunk of crap law needs to be thrown out of office ASAP.

They are nothing but a bunch of lying, slimey, lazy, greedy, corrupt douchebags.

http://www.albo-oblon.com/

Archived