Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need an honest opinion

JesusTheismann

I amy be the only one of my kind.

I am not only a Redskins fan, but a Cowboys fan as well. I grew up during the Staubach era. My whole family loves the Cowboys.

But during the 80s, even though the 82 championship was initially painful, I became a fan of Joe Gibbs, Riggins, the smurfs, and of course, Joe Theismann. I even stopped watching the Cowboys during Landry's last few years.

But after Gibbs retired, I became a fan of the 90s Cowboys, Aikman, Smith, Irvin and Haley! What a dominant team.

So far I have been able to be sort of a bandwagoner and get away with it. One was down, the other was up. Now for the first time in my life, it appears that both teams are headed in the same direction as superbowl contenders.

I feel awful because I know how most football fans hate guys like me. I don't mean to offend anybody. How and why I became simultaneous fans of two of the biggest rivals in sports, I will never know.

Anyway, for the record, I would like to see the Skins even the score against the Cowboys this year.

Will I be accepted here or will most of you chastise me for being who I am? Again, I don't mean to offend anybody. This is definitely the most passionate football site I've ever seen. I guess I could and maybe should have kept this to myself, but I didn't want to be accused of being dishonest or being tagged as a troll down the road.

I hope you understand. God bless!

-JT

First, its not really possible to be a fan of more than one team. Either you are a FAN of ONE team, and will passively cheer for another.... or you are truly not a fan of any team but simply a bandwagoner.

Example... I cheered for the Steelers against Dallas in the Superbowls in the 70s and 90s, but I would NEVER buy Steeler gear.

I am a Redskins fan.

You want to come here and cheer for the Skins if they win, of course you will be accepted. We love people who cheer for the Skins to win. But dont call yourself a Redskins fan.... just a guy who is cheering for the Skins this week.

First, its not really possible to be a fan of more than one team. Either you are a FAN of ONE team, and will passively cheer for another.... or you are truly not a fan of any team but simply a bandwagoner.

Yep. I am a Redskins fan, but there are some teams I passively cheer for because either:

A)I feel sorry for them

B)I hate the team they're playing

C)It would be good for the Redskins if they won

D)I picked them to win

Well, I did ask for an honest opinion and I got one.

Blade, I do understand what you are saying (believe me, I have been chastised from both Cowboys and Redskins fans). But I am not the classic bandwagoner. I don't just root for any team that happens to be winning. It's just these two teams. That's it.

I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about any of the other 30 teams.

In College Basketball who are your two favorite teams? Duke and Carolina?

How about College Footbal? Michigan and Ohio State? Maybe USC and UCLA? Auburn Alabama?

Its already been said, a true fan dosen't have room in his heart and soul to actually be a true fan of more than 1 team.

Like QB's, if you have two, you have don't really have one, if you have two favorite teams you really don't have any teams.

How many think we should all chip in to buy some counselling for Sybill here? I know that I'd be the first to chipin a buck or two, as long as the counsellor is also capable of casting out the Dallass demon!

Believe it or not, there are some positives for being a dual Cowboys-Redskins fan. First, there is always something to feel good about or look forward to. Like next week, we play the Jaguars. if the Skins pull off a win, that will help ease the pain of the embarrasing loss the Cowboys suffered in week one.

Also, rooting for more than one team also helps with keeping a healthy perspective. Most single-team fans spend a great deal of time feeling miserable because having a superbowl caliber team isn't reality most of the time.

But go ahead with the potshots. It's all in good fun anyway. I'm used to my friends and family giving me a hard time about it. I'm ok with it.

Archived