Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 5 shooting guards in NBA history

Sticksboi05

The last position, let's finish out strong!

I'm guessing #1 will be the same on ohhh, every list.

Honestly, it should be 1 and 2, but there will be some haters who probably won't even put Kobe in the top 5.

1.Jordan

2.Kobe

3.The Logo

4.A.I.

5.The Iceman

*Honorable Mention, my man Pistol Pete. So good I wanted to put him in both the SG and PG list

:D

1. MJ

2. Kobe

3. Jerry West

4. George Gervin

5.Clyde Drexler

Honorable Mention: A.I, Pistol Pete, Reggie Miller

---------- Post added July-20th-2012 at 09:54 AM ----------

Honestly, it should be 1 and 2, but there will be some haters who probably won't even put Kobe in the top 5.

1.Jordan

2.Kobe

3.Jerry West

4.AI

5.George Gervin

*Honorable Mention, my man Pistol Pete. So good I wanted to put him in both the SG and PG list

:D

Pistol Pete was a special type of player. I wish I was alive to see him play. I have to put Drexler in front of A.I.

Pistol Pete was a special type of player. I wish I was alive to see him play.

Man who you tellin? I have pretty much watched every highlight they have of him and I am still not satisfied.

I know people won't mention him, but I think T-Mac should get a little love. If not for anything, just for this:

Marv Albert: McGrady, for the win..... YES!

I love it.

Top 3 are easy.

Jordan

Kobe

West

No. 4 for me is Clyde Drexler, who is seriously underrated by a lot of people.

The number 5 spot could be a lot of different choices. I guess I will go with Gervin because an unstoppable scorer is pretty useful, even if he is a selfish piggie. Perhaps Iverson, Reggie Miller, Earl Monroe, Dwayne Wade or even the steady versatile Joe Dumars deserves that spot.

No. 4 for me is Clyde Drexler, who is seriously underrated by a lot of people.

I think he is horribly horribly over-rated.

---------- Post added July-20th-2012 at 12:49 PM ----------

It''s Jordan, West, Kobe and then....I dunno.....a lot of dudes who seem fairly interchangeable to me.

There is a real fine line between good shooting guard and hopeless gunner.

I might go with Iverson just because he was so unique. I can't go with Gervin. Just can't. Wade's prime is looking alarmingly short to me.

4. Iverson

5. Screw it...Pearl......

I mentioned it in another thread. The most terrifying shooting guard of my lifetime is Andrew Toney. When that guy heated up, he was as unstoppable as anyone, even Jordan. Thankfully, he didn't heat up all the time.

Of course you do, but you are wrong about everything NBA related. :P

Drexler is the one shooting guard of the 80s/90s who actually needed an intervention after too much exposure to Jordan. He was relatively useless with The Dream Team because Jordan had ripped his heart out in The Finals.

He was a good scorer, but I dunno...I just found him kind of boring and relatively gutless.

If you could combine his talent with Reggie Miller's balls, you would have someone truly special.

(I left Reggie off, because his team had to do way too much work to get him points. An all-time player should not need three screens to get his shot off. Ray Allen has become that kind of player, but in his younger days, he could beat you off the dribble as well. Reggie couldn't beat me off the dribble).

Drexler is the one shooting guard of the 80s/90s who actually needed an intervention after too much exposure to Jordan. He was relatively useless with The Dream Team because Jordan had ripped his heart out in The Finals.

He was a good scorer' date=' but I dunno...I just found him kind of boring and relatively gutless.

If you could combine his talent with Reggie Miller's balls, you would have someone truly special.

[/quote']

If you combined Reggie's balls with Drexler's rebounding, assists, and defense, you would have.... Michael Jordan.

Drexler didn't just score (although he scored a lot). He consistently got you 6 or 7 rebounds and 6 or 7 assists, some good defense and a couple of steals, when other shooting guards like Miller got you 3 rebs, 3 assists and pretty much no defense. Those things matter.

---------- Post added July-20th-2012 at 11:07 AM ----------

:ols:

Man listen to Marv Albert call anything.

Albert: Looks both ways. She steps off the curb, onto the crosswalk. Five seconds remaining on the walk clock, will she make it to the sidewalk??? YES!

Well done, sir.

---------- Post added July-20th-2012 at 11:08 AM ----------

I mentioned it in another thread. The most terrifying shooting guard of my lifetime is Andrew Toney. When that guy heated up' date=' he was as unstoppable as anyone, even Jordan. Thankfully, he didn't heat up all the time.[/quote']

True. Vinnie Johnson sometimes seemed like that too, but not at the same level.

You know what's funny, I haven't even heard of the two dudes you are talking about. Can't even tell you who they played for.

Andrew Toney was a starting guard on those great Sixers teams of the early 80s. He and Mo Cheeks were the back court. Doctor J was the 3. Bobby Jones was the 4. Eventually, Moses came in to play center and they annihilated everyone in '83.

Toney lived to murder the Celtics. The main reason Dennis Johnson became a Celtic was because he was one of the few players in the league with a hope of guarding Toney.

Toney beat them almost single-handidly in 1982, scoring 34 in Game 7 of the ECF.

Vinnie Johnson was a backup shooting guard on the Bad Boy Pistons. He was nicknamed "The Microwave" because he could heat up so fast. I honestly can't think of a specific game that he dominated. I just know that in 87 and 88, the Celtics bench was hopeless in trying to defend him, Rodman, and Salley. It was just completely unfair.

Damn Andrew Toney and the Microwave. Toney single-handedly destroyed the Lakers(besides Moses and Doc) in that '83 series. Norm Nixon was guarding him, but became injured in that series. Toney averaged 22 ppg in that series ML. LKB remembers him better than I do.

Here's a hagiographic bio on Toney. It's a little over the top, but the quotes are real.

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2918

Charles Barkley: "I thought he (Toney) was the best player on the team when I got here. We had Bobby Jones, Moses Malone, and Julius Erving, but the only one I was in awe of was Andrew."

Larry Bird: "Do I remember Andrew Toney? The Boston Strangler? Yeah, I remember him. I wish we would've had him. He was a killer. We called him the Boston Strangler because every time he got a hold of the ball we knew he was going to score. He was the absolute best I've ever seen at shooting the ball at crucial times. We had nobody who could come close to stopping him. Nobody."

Pat Riley: ""He's the greatest clutch player I've ever seen. The hell with Jerry West!"

Danny Ainge: ""I tell you, Andrew was giving you nightmares when you thought about playing against him. He was already the Boston Strangler, so by the time I got there, I had heard all the stories about Andrew Toney. I was given all kinds of advice on how to defend him - be physical with him, just hang on to him, fight him and hold him. I learned through my own experience that was the exact opposite way to defend Andrew. I thought it was better to just let him run wherever he wanted and try to let him get bored, because every time he was challenged either mentally or physically, he seemed to respond."

Damn Andrew Toney and the Microwave. Toney single-handedly destroyed the Lakers(besides Moses and Doc) in that '83 series. Norm Nixon was guarding him, but became injured in that series. Toney averaged 22 ppg in that series ML. LKB remembers him better than I do.

Toney got hurt and feuded with his ownership pretty early in his career. But if you were fan of the after Bird and Magic, but before Jordan, you remembered Toney. Celtics fans are still terrified of him.

I think what made him so different was that he was a powerful guard. Magic was massive, but Toney was just so freaking strong. The only guard in the NBA then who could really physically stand up to him was DJ.

Gervin was the standard for 2 guards then and I'm not sure he could bench press 50 pounds. Toney would just put his shoulder into dudes and take them to the basket. Tiny Archibald, Chris Ford, and Gerald Henderson were helpless against him. Nixon was a slight guy too.

Archived