Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What kind of car to buy?

Grizz

Because of a screwy divorce settlement I am forced to pay half of my ex's car payment unless have my own. So instead of paying $400/month for half of hers I might as well pay $400 for my own.

since I wasn't in the market to buy, I really dont have an idea what to buy. Here are my criteria:

Under $35k

Seats at least 5 comfortable-I have 4 kids

desent gas mileage

Something that doesn't scream douch bag, but at the same time doesn't say old man (I'll be back in the dating pool soon :silly:)

I was driving a Ford F150 Crew cab and really like it, but comparable new would put me over budget.

I am going to sell that and use it for the down payment Any sugestions?

Well my parents have a 07 Avalon. My mom gets pretty good gas mileage. Its a bigger version of a Camry in my opinion. Three can fit in the back quite nicely. Also the car rides like cloud 9. You hardly feel bumps on the road. You can easily find one under 35K

The other car I'd say to check out would be the Acura TSX. It will definitely impress your date lol. Its smaller than avalon but its got style and some nice luxury for your drive. Once again you can find this car easily under 35K.

Acura TSX - really nice car for the price range you are looking at. I got stuck at the Acura dealership during the storm so had a chance to look at all the cars and prices. The one I looked at in their showroom looked pretty loaded with leather seats and all for under 35K. This car is a 4 banger and has good torque at lower RPM and seats five comfortably.

Nissan Maxima

Honda Accord

Toyota Camry

Of the three I prefer the Maxima a bit more. For some reason I find it more refined. It has a strong engine and is a really good looking car.

Chevy Tahoe

Infiniti FX35

Of those two I prefer the FX. It's a sporty looking SUV. The Tahoe is a bit bigger and is more "manly" in my opinion.

Nissan Maxima

Honda Accord

Toyota Camry

Of the three I prefer the Maxima a bit more. For some reason I find it more refined. It has a strong engine and is a really good looking car.

Chevy Tahoe

Infiniti FX35

Of those two I prefer the FX. It's a sporty looking SUV. The Tahoe is a bit bigger and is more "manly" in my opinion.

Unfortunately $400 per month will buy you around a $22k car on a 60 month loan,unless you have a large down payment.You may want to look at a lease if you don't drive more than 12-15,000 mi.per year.Probably can get alot more car for that monthly figure if you lease.You could get a very nice late model used car for $400.00 per.Personally,I would consider a leasing a Buick Lucerne if I was going new,but I would probably buy used.

Unfortunately $400 per month will buy you around a $22k car on a 60 month loan,unless you have a large down payment.You may want to look at a lease if you don't drive more than 12-15,000 mi.per year.Probably can get alot more car for that monthly figure if you lease.You could get a very nice late model used car for $400.00 per.Personally,I would consider a leasing a Buick Lucerne if I was going new,but I would probably buy used.

i never understood the concept of a lease. i guess at my age, i wanted a really nice car and didn't want to replace it for a while so i got a lexusis250.. it seems like you would always have a car payment to give and never own anything?

Especially if your budget can go up to 35k, then I don't see why you don't get a used car from a nice manufacturer for around 20k. I got my 2007 Lexus for about 22k. My monthly payment is affordable and it's going to last me through my undergrad and most likely grad school.

I'm not a fan of new cars at all. Reap the benefits of a nice car while making the person who bought it new pay for the price drop.

My advice on cars is always the same.

Buy used. Let someone else eat that first couple of years depreciation.

Smart man. This is what I always do.

You may also want to check the Hyundai thread. Hyundai seems to be getting a lot of love lately.

What type of vehicle are you looking for? The Toyota Venza seats 5 comfortably, but it is a crossover, you mentioned a truck, are you looking for an SUV?

Smart man. This is what I always do.

You may also want to check the Hyundai thread. Hyundai seems to be getting a lot of love lately.

What type of vehicle are you looking for? The Toyota Venza seats 5 comfortably, but it is a crossover, you mentioned a truck, are you looking for an SUV?

He could probably get into the Genisis line for what he has to spend, if he was so inclined.

First of all, do not buy GM - Government Motors (I know you said you aren't loyal to any brand but you will see a dropoff in performance from Ford to whatever GM is trying to sell these days)

Second, dude, you have $35K to spend, I'm driving my 2006 F-150 XLT w/ 4 Doors and got it for $24K 4 years ago. Just went to CarMax and they offered me $16K for it, F-series keep their value, and you can get a nice one for $35K. Why get some unknown? You know that F-series is gonna last for forever, and there's something women like about a pickup man!....sorry, everytime I talk about my truck it's always back to that Joe Diffie song, lol, my wife hates that song now!

EDIT: And please if you are going to buy an import go Honda. Why on earth anyone risks their lives with Toyota I don't know. Also, if you are trying to impress the ladies now that you are newly single, how many women look at a Hyundai, Kia, or Daewoo and think that you are the guy? The answer is 0 because all women are gold-diggers, :)

The OP needs to give more details other than what he has given to help narrow down the search or you see the huge variety of responses given. Especially given his price range.

To the OP, I suggest you read this to narrow down your search: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/78388/article.html

If you examine your needs rather than wants, you will quickly discover what the right car is for you. Take a moment to think about what you use your car for. How many people do you need to transport? What type of driving do you do most often? How long is your commute? Is it important that your next vehicle get good gas mileage?

In too many cases people choose a car for its styling or because it is a trendy favorite. If you do, you might either exceed your budget or have to go car shopping again soon. Let your needs, not your wants, drive your decision. Here are a few other questions to keep in mind when you begin your car-buying process:

Do you want a manual or automatic transmission?

Do you really need four-wheel drive? Or all-wheel drive?

What safety features do you want?

Do you require a lot of cargo capacity?

Will you be doing any towing?

Do you have a bad back and need flexible seating positions?

Will the car easily fit in your garage or parking space?

^^^ Is that Carmax ? Thing is there is no way it gets good gas mileage.

He's currently driving a Ford F-150 Crew Cab, gas mileage smash shmileage :silly:, at least he's getting good suggestions. Plus, that thing would be very comfortable for carrying 5 people, and is very easy and cheap to add a DVD-player for the kids.

He's currently driving a Ford F-150 Crew Cab, gas mileage smash shmileage :silly:, at least he's getting good suggestions. Plus, that thing would be very comfortable for carrying 5 people, and is very easy and cheap to add a DVD-player for the kids.
Already has a DVD player built in!

6719915-23-5-89ae3e2b.jpg

Plus, it gets 13/19 MPG. Not horrible, but by no means good. But compared to a truck, it probably beats it.

I can sell my truck for 14k, so that allows me to buy something in the 35k range and still have a $400 monthly payment

Buy a used Toyota Sequoia, 2008, love mine and I bet you can get the payment to $300 per month, so that extra money can go towards the gas.

Archived