Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC: Thirsty? Bacteria linked to feces found on soda fountains

China

Thirsty? Bacteria linked to feces found on soda fountains

If you're chugging a soda from a fast food joint, you may want to put it down and read this.

A team of microbiologists from Hollins University found that 48% of the sodas they tested from fast food soda fountains had coliform bacteria, according to Tom Laskawy, a media and technology professional and blogger for grist.org.

Coliform is typically fecal in origin.

On top of that, the study found that most of the bacteria were resistant to antibiotics.

The team tested 90 beverages from 30 fountains, and published their findings in the International Journal of Food Microbiology.

Click on the link for the full article

People are just nasty. They go to the bathroom and don't wash their hands and touch everything.

I never take the "top" lid for my fountain drink. You never know how many people have coughed on it or touched it with doody hands. And I NEVER touch anything in a public bathroom except the faucet to turn the water on. Everything else I use a paper towel for.

People are just nasty. They go to the bathroom and don't wash their hands and touch everything.

I never take the "top" lid for my fountain drink. You never know how many people have coughed on it or touched it with doody hands. And I NEVER touch anything in a public bathroom except the faucet to turn the water on. Everything else I use a paper towel for.

When I use a public restroom, I do not even use my hands. I basically act like a monkey, and do everything with my feet : kick the door open to the restroom, open the door to the stall with my shoe, flushed the toilet with my shoe, turned the faucet on and off with my shoe, hit the handle for the paper towels with my shoe, and then opened the restroom door with my shoe. And then kicking the guy in the ass with my shoe, who was the last person to use the restroom and messed it up with his feces. People look at me strange, but then again, people think I'm strange anyway, so it's no loss......and it keeps me healthy

Yea pretty gross. We are a little soft as a society when it comes to stuff like this. People poop, pee, sneeze, fart, etc. That will never change. Some of the little nasties that result from those things will get on our stuff sometimes. That will never change.

I certainly advocate anything we can do to mitigate issues like this, but I am realistic and realize it can never go completely away. Even if you only cook at home, where did your food come from? Did anybody else handle it when they prepared it to get it from the field to your grocery store? Yep.

Whenever I go to a fast food joint I take all the lids and rub them between my hands one by one and then put them back just for people like you. :evilg:

When I was a kid I never washed off fruit before I ate it, ran around barefoot all summer, played with stray dogs, ate food off the floor, swam in water that looked like chocolate milk, played in storm drains, bathed as little as possible, and I never, ever washed my hands. I'm pretty sure I have built up immunities to every bacteria and virus on Earth, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna let a little **** keep me from drinking a diet mountain dew.

I was in a meeting on Tuesday with a client, before the meeting I was using the restroom and washing my hands, a guy walks out of the stall heads for the door without washing his hands. 15 minutes later during introductions he is in the same meeting room. I had to shake his hand, went to the bathroom 5 minutes later and washed it a couple times. Lunch comes in a couple hours later and he is one of the first in line, plus everyone else had shaken hands with him as well. I went for a diet coke and wrapped piece of bread.

How hard is it to wash your hands? Takes what 30 seconds? People are lazy and disgusting.

I was in a meeting on Tuesday with a client, before the meeting I was using the restroom and washing my hands, a guy walks out of the stall heads for the door without washing his hands. 15 minutes later during introductions he is in the same meeting room. I had to shake his hand, went to the bathroom 5 minutes later and washed it a couple times. Lunch comes in a couple hours later and he is one of the first in line, plus everyone else had shaken hands with him as well. I went for a diet coke and wrapped piece of bread.

How hard is it to wash your hands? Takes what 30 seconds? People are lazy and disgusting.

I think I might have had to say something.

~Bang

LOL. When I use a public restroom I don't touch ANYTHING.

No urinal? I use the stall, but I use my foot to lift the lid and use my foot to flush.

When I wash my hands I'll use my elbow to get a paper towel.

I'll use that same paper towel to open the door.

Fountain sodas? Rarely do I drink them and now I have a reason not to drink them at all.

Simple solution. Just have everybody wear these on their hands

oj+simpson+gloves-noteboom.jpg

I clean bathrooms for a living and I don't blame you. But if you think the men's bathroom is nasty, you should see the inside of a woman's bathroom.

Whenever I go to a fast food joint I take all the lids and rub them between my hands one by one and then put them back just for people like you. :evilg:

See, I knew it!

:hysterical: oh man that sucks big time. sounds like an episode of seinfeld

I thought i was the only one.... i Normally take a lid like 5-10 down in the stack. People always look at me all weird.

Yes all that is gross, but I thought you where supposed to incur all those germs and bacteria to keep your white blood cells working and keep your count high. :silly:

Archived