Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Not Winning by Alot Could be Hurting our Playoff Chances

Rexx1240

Everybody knows that a win is a win. But what people dont uderstand is how the league determines seeding, placement, etc for the playoffs. Margin of victory is one of the things used to make this determination in case of tie-brakers. The way it looks now, we are walking a thin line from becoming a 1st seed (with a bye-week and homefield) or a wild-card (with no bye and all road games). Bottom line is that we actually do NEED to win by larger point margins.

Here is a link from to explain how the league determines tie-breakers for the playoffs

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

I think the last time this came into play was when Mike Ditka was coaching the Saints. (Seriously) The saints were out of the playoffs but whoever they were playing tried to run up the score on them and Ditka started going for 2 and started going deep.

It is a tie breaker, but it's been a REALLY long time since it came down to that.

It is too far down on the list of tiebreaking procedures to really worry about at this point.

Yeah, I think there is more of a chance that the Redskins lose their remaining games then a ANY tiebreaker (let alone the Redskins') coming down to that.

These low scoring games are really gonna hurt us when the first official BCS rankings come out

lmao...:applause:

Everybody knows that a win is a win. But what people dont uderstand is how the league determines seeding, placement, etc for the playoffs. Margin of victory is one of the things used to make this determination in case of tie-brakers. The way it looks now, we are walking a thin line from becoming a 1st seed (with a bye-week and homefield) or a wild-card (with no bye and all road games). Bottom line is that we actually do NEED to win by larger point margins.

Here is a link from to explain how the league determines tie-breakers for the playoffs

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

The tiebreakers NEVER go that far. This isnt something to worry about it. We just need to win dude.

But what people dont uderstand is how the league determines seeding

1. Division winner with #1 record

2. Division winner with #2 record

3. Division winner with #3 record

4. Division winner with #4 record

5. Wildcard with #1 record

6. Wildcard with #2 record

:whoknows:

As I said in another thread, I believe the close games and fighting it out until the end is actually going to help us come Playoff time. We have been playing tight, close Football games since our first game. We are used to scraping back into games and getting out with a W. Other teams in the league havent faced that kind of adversity yet, let alone on a weekly basis.

Its "Any Given Sunday" in the NFL, Look at St. Louis now, they are on a roll and actually have a little swagger. Any team can put up a W. All teams have talent, some are coached better then others. The best team doesnt always win... especially if they arent used to fighting it out or coming from behind. The experience gained in that kind of conditions and situations eight/nine straight weeks, before our BYE can and will give our team an edge in the playoffs. We will have been there before and know the road to take to overcome adversity.

I don't know, guys, he has a point.

With Penn State, Texas and Alabama playing as well as they are, we really need to start winning more convincingly. The coaches have us rated fairly high, but the USA Today polls aren't sold. We need to run up the score on the Pitt Panthers this weekend. I think we're more talented than those D1 athletes are, but on any given Sunday... (Or is it Saturday?)

:)

Archived