Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last Year for Sonny, Sam, Larry?

Last Year For Sonny, Sam, Larry? - 7/18 - DCRTV hears rumblings that this could be the last year for the Redskins game-day radio team of Sonny Jurgensen, Sam Huff, and play-by-play man Larry Michael. Next year it could be Mike Patrick doing play-by-play, with Joe Theismann and John Riggins adding color. At least that's what a reliable local radio source tells us. You'll recall that Jurgensen and Huff have been calling Skins' games for several decades, having previously been paired with play-by-play man Frank Herzog.....

http://dcrtv.com/

(Maybe this should be merged into one of the existing radio threads, but it is new information).

I'd miss Sonny, but I'd be glad to see Larry out of the booth. I can't stand him. Although, Theismann wouldn't be much of an improvement. I like Mike Patrick, though.

And I'll take this opportunity to express again my feelings that they should BRING BACK FRANK.

I would LOVE Patrick/Theismann/Riggins. :notworthy

I love those guys. That would be the best broadcast team in the NFL imo.

Patrick can be annoying...but I think it would be a good annoying for a local team. You kind of want your play by play guy to be overly excited for a good play. (And I think Patrick is genuine as opposed to Larry who seems completely contrived at all times).

wow, I just mentioned this in another thread about Riggins show. I hadn't thought of Mike Patrick. - That's be an awesome trio.

Patrick is one of favorite football play-by play guys.

I only thought it was a matter of time before changes were going to happen with the broadcast team. It is sounding more and more that Sam Huff just doesn't have it anymore. and that they probably should retire Sonny along with him, since pairing him up with a younger guy just wouldn't work.

I kinda wish that they would find another defensive guy to put in the booth. Charles Mann is really the only name I can come up with who is "broadcast quality".

Jason

That'd be a really strong line up. And if you're going to replace the current trio, that'd be a great way to go. And maybe add in Doc.

Patrick can be annoying

Really? I love Dan Patrick, he's my favorite play by play guy, period. And I'm usually the most picky about those things. Half the time I can't stand Theisman :laugh: (but I'd love him to do the local broadcasts)

Guess you can't please everyone ;)

I hope Larry Michael falls off a cliff. Survives the fall, but is in an extreme amount of pain. And after many hours of suffering, he explodes in to baby binkies.

Someone needs to get 'em some.:)

I really, really, really don't get the hate for Larry Michael :whoknows:

And if anyone is thinking about quoting this post and saying "cuz he forced Frank out", save yourself the embarassment of going there.

I don't hate him. But he was a serious step down from Frank. I think he is a good radio guy, just not a good play by play guy. He would be a good host for the pre, post and halftime shows.

Someone needs to get 'em some.:)

It has been a while. I'm starting to develop this......I guess a rash type thing.

ANYWAYS. I really just don't like Larry Michael. He just seems to try too hard to be cool.

And there's nothing worse than a non-cool person trying to act cool. Especially if they're old.

Isn't that right TK?

:D

I don't hate him. But he was a serious step down from Frank. I think he is a good radio guy, just not a good play by play guy. He would be a good host for the pre, post and halftime shows.

I tend to agree. While I don't necessarily think he's a bad play by play guy, I think his talents are much better in show-type environments. I think he does a great job with Redskins Lunch considering the resources he has... basically an emtpy room and a mic. :laugh:

It has been a while. I'm starting to develop this......I guess a rash type thing.

ANYWAYS. I really just don't like Larry Michael. He just seems to try too hard to be cool.

And there's nothing worse than a non-cool person trying to act cool. Especially if they're old.

Isn't that right TK?

:D

I wouldn't know, but I can ask Jumbo about it & get back to you. :)

Yeah, from what I've heard, Larry isn't really suited for the booth (though I do enjoy his show whenever I get a chance to hear it).

Joey T. can get on my nerves, but Riggins always seems to have something interesting to say. Doc or Charles Mann would be good choices, too.

Archived