Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[Unintentionally] funny article

Bliz

You'd think a sentence starting with "The Doody family from Wolverhampton" couldn't get any funnier, but you'd be wrong. So very, very wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2698507.stm

Not suitable for kids or people with low tolerance for inappropriate terms.

*EDIT* - I apologize for the ambiguous thread title, but honestly, how do you describe this article without violating various messageboard rules???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

A faggot is a kind of meatball, a traditional dish in the UK, especially the southwest of England, Wales, and the Black Country. It is made from meat off-cuts and offal, especially pork. A faggot is traditionally made from pig heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes breadcrumbs. The mixture is shaped in the hand into balls, wrapped round with "caul" (a membrane from the pig's abdomen), and baked. A similar dish, almôndega, is traditional in Portugal.

The first use in print cited in the OED is in 1851, from Thomas Mayhew, although this appears to be a calzone- or pasty-like dish, with an outer wrapper of caul, covering a filling of mixed pork offal. This was in London.

The dish saw its greatest popularity with the rationing during World War II but has become less popular in recent years. Faggots are usually homemade and are to be found in traditional butchers' shops and market stalls.

A popular dish is "faggots and peas," which is often served with gravy. The faggot and pea batch is a common post-pub snack in the West Midlands. Faggots are also known as "ducks" in Yorkshire and Lancashire, often as "savoury ducks". "In Leigh market in 1905 you could buy a savoury duck rolled up in an oatmeal cake."

Mr Brains faggotsThe best-known commercial brand is Mr. Brain's Faggots, a frozen food product available in Britain and Ireland, which is made up of liver and onions rolled into meatballs and served in a sauce. These faggots differ significantly from the traditional recipe.

Pictures of the product are a popular joke in some Western countries due to additional meanings of the subject noun. Faggots were used as the subject of an infamous 2004 radio advert by the UK supermarket chain Somerfield[1]. The commercial featured a husband challenging his wife's repetitive routine of a set meal for each day of the week. While he wanted lasagne, he was told that, as it was Friday, he was to have faggots. He responded: "I've nothing against faggots, I just don't fancy them.". This advert was subsequently deemed to have breached the rules on Good Taste, Decency and Offence to Public Feeling of the Advertising and Sponsorship Code, and was banned from future re-broadcast by the industry regulator, Ofcom.

My personal favorite:

"The great British faggot is full of flavour and a great belly warmer at this time of year."

Followed closely by:

-Fans have published the Good Faggot Guide

Really funny stuff. However, I never knew Brits actually ate their cigarrettes! What an odd lot they are.

When I was in Ashland, NC I met a guy that me and my buddy hung out with. He was... um... a wilderness man (we called him the Orchid Thief). Anyway, he had a huge bundle of sticks in his hand as he made walking sticks to make a few bucks. As we walked through the streets he would yell 'gay man with a faggot coming through!' It would make people turn and stop - at which point they would get out of his way. He led a very literal life.

He also sparked up a J standing on a rather busy intersection like it was the thing to do. :laugh:

edit: I should clarify I have never eaten faggots in my life, but I hear they are nutritional and quite tasty. Or something.

I hear they leave a salty aftertaste in your mouth....

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Archived