Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Review

Angus

May 17, 2005

Washington Redskins '05 Draft Review

Scott Wright

President, NFL Draft Countdown

Oh those Washington Redskins. Once again this was a team who made headlines in the offseason, even though they have not been their free-spending selves and have actually lost more big named free agents (Fred Smoot, Antonio Pierce) than they have signed. Despite a lack of high-profile signings Washington still had one of the most intriguing offseasons, mostly due to one draft pick. A franchise which has lacked direction in recent years seems to be chasing its tail once again, stuck somewhere in the middle of trying to win now and building for the future.

With their initial first round pick there was little doubt what position the team would address, merely which player they would do it with. After losing Smoot to the Minnesota Vikings in free agency there was a major hole opposite of Shawn Springs in the secondary and most assumed the team would take one of the three premier cornerback available. With Pac-Man Jones and Antrel Rolle coming off the board just ahead of them the decision to choose Carlos Rogers of Auburn at #9 was made easy. The Thorpe Award winner, Rogers has everything you look for in a top corner physically and should help ease the loss of Smoot.

The Redskins made waves just days before the draft when they traded a package of picks to Denver, including their 1st rounder in 2006, to leap back into late round one at #25 overall. Right after this move was made word leaked that the guy they were targeting was Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell. Many, like myself, thought this was merely a smokescreen since no team could be stupid enough to make such a major move like that only to let it be known the guy they wanted. It would just give other teams who coveted the same player too much time to maneuver ahead of them and steal that player away. It seems we all forgot that this was the Washington Redskins we are talking about. Campbell was indeed the player they wanted and fortunately for them he was still on the board when it came time for them to select. A top prep recruit who struggled for most of his career under a multitude of different offensive coordinators, Campbell finally put it all together in 2004 as a senior and led Auburn to an undefeated season. Was this a fluke or a sign of things to come once he grasped a system? We will have to wait to find out the answer to that query.

With two of their precious few their choices the team tabbed fullbacks Manuel White of U.C.L.A. and Nehemiah Broughton of The Citadel in rounds three and seven. White played tailback with the Bruins for the most part but will likely be a versatile fullback who can run and catch in the pros. Still, the third round was much too high for him. As for Broughton, despite his small school roots he has some interesting physical tools in terms of size and speed. At the end of the day though was this a team that needed to use two of their selections on a position most teams don't even bother using draft picks on?

Finally, in rounds five and six the Skins chose to address their lack of depth at linebacker with Robert McCune of Louisville and Jared Newberry of Stanford. A physical freak and workout warrior, you won't find a more impressive physical specimen than McCune and while he is a little older than you would prefer after having served in the military before going to college he could be a steal for them with the 154th pick overall. As for Newberry, he is a good athlete with solid mobility that would seem to make him an ideal backup/situational player at the pro level. After losing Antonio Pierce as a free agent there was definitely a need to bolster the depth at linebacker and with these two picks the team did just that.

I do not like what this team did at all and beyond Rogers and McCune they didn't do a whole lot in my opinion. My biggest problem with this class is Campbell, and not because I don't think he can be a very good player but because the team did not need him. They already have a former 1st round pick in Patrick Ramsey who has never gotten a chance to prove himself and could still be a great pro, not to mention a very highly paid backup in veteran Mark Brunell. One of two things will happen with Campbell, either A) He starts as a rookie in which case the team is rebuilding and will be set back a couple of years or B) He sits the entire season as the #3 signal caller in which case they have nothing to show for 1st round picks in 2005 and 2006. It just doesn't make sense to me. Once again this is a franchise that's left hand doesn't know what the right is doing and seems like a dog chasing its own tail. For better or worse they need to pick a direction and stick with it rather than changing course from one season to the next and until they do it will be a team that continues to live down to everyone's expectations.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/review/teams/washingtonredskins.html

"One of two things will happen with Campbell, either A) He starts as a rookie in which case the team is rebuilding and will be set back a couple of years or B)He sits the entire season as the #3 signal caller in which case they have nothing to show for 1st round picks in 2005 and 2006."

He seems to be forgetting about our 2005 1st Round Pick, Carlos Rogers, a pick he applauded in a previous paragraph.

He sits the entire season as the #3 signal caller in which case they have nothing to show for 1st round picks in 2005 and 2006. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I love this from the article. It proves he can't count and franky it shouldn't make sense to him. The Skins used only next years first round pick for Campbell, not this years and next years. This years pick was used on Rogers and I know the author does not think that is wasted as he said so earlier in the article. Just bad writing.

With two of their precious few their choices the team tabbed fullbacks Manuel White of U.C.L.A. and Nehemiah Broughton of The Citadel in rounds three and seven. White played tailback with the Bruins for the most part but will likely be a versatile fullback who can run and catch in the pros. Still, the third round was much too high for him.

A 3rd round for White was too high, that my be why we got him in the 4th round. :doh:

Originally posted by Angus

May 17, 2005

Washington Redskins '05 Draft Review

Scott Wright

President, NFL Draft Countdown

With two of their precious few their choices the team tabbed fullbacks Manuel White of U.C.L.A. and Nehemiah Broughton of The Citadel in rounds three and seven.. .. Still, the third round was much too high for him.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/review/teams/washingtonredskins.html[/url]

Well then moron, it's a good thing we waited til the 4th Rd then :doh:

How the hell do these guys get paid to not check their facts?

A would mean the Redskins' had good reason to take Campbell. However, have you ever heard of Big-Ben? The Redskins are in a very similar situation as the Steelers were comming into '04: good defense and a good running game.

B would mean we we can end the MB fiasco in June with minimum ongoing damage, protected ourselves from PR having us by the short and curlies, protect ourselves in case a great '05 year by PR proves a fluke and open up several trade opportunities in the near future to boot. In any case, if B occurs, will anybody care?

Seems to me that no matter what happens we'll be in a better position.

Too bad this guy knows exactly what the Redskins need and he is still writing articles for a 3rd rate orginization. :D

Just think how wonderful things would be if he was our coach and/or GM. :drool:

It would help is case here if he could even get his facts straight like who was picked in what round and not assuming the role of players when he doesn't even know that the Redskins don't use a fullback.

good ole Scott, I cant wait to read more articles by this budding journalist!!!

"Taylor a bad pickup by the Redskins, since he is holding out"

"First round pick Portis is slightly annoyed..."

"I am an attention whore"

anyways, looks like another journalist we are going to dislike very shortly...

Archived