Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Circumcision: Yay or Nay?

NoCalMike

So anyways, tonight was the premiere of the new season fo Penn & Teller Bullsh!t, and the topic was circumcision. They basically debunked any and all reasons that have been given to justify circumcision as a regular practice, and to my HORROR, they actually showed a bit of a video clip of what actually happens when a baby is circumsized. I was horrified, and I kind of changed my opinion on it that it should only be done if it HAS to be for some reason. They debunked the health, sacrifice, and religious reasoning behind circumcision, but I also understand that it is a tv show and they will do what they can to skew the argument in their favor. I am just wondering about the opinions of people on this board and what the feel about it and whether it is a procedure that should be done regularly or not.

Watched the same show :)

And yes, I am circumcized and I do agree with it. THe schmegma bit solidified my position on the manner :laugh:

Now, for a true story, I was circumcized at birth. My mother, being a first time mother, messed up what was supposed to go on the circumcision and my bellybutton.

Vaseline was supposed to go on my circumcision and alcohol was supposed to go on my bellybutton. . . well she got them reversed :doh:

She claims I screamed bloody murder :laugh: I'm just glad I don't remember it.

Originally posted by manichispanic

i like mine cut, it looks neater. I have friends who arent circumsized who havent had a single health problem related to it, but personally i feel its the appendix of the penis, and getting circumsized makes it look a hell of a lot less hideous

:laugh: :laugh:

:doh:

Well I am trying to be somewhat serious although comedic response are appreciated as well. I am just trying to learn or understand more about WHY IT IS DONE REGULARLY. I mean, if it isn't because of health issues, then why exactly as a society is it such a norm? Trust me, if you see the procedure done, it is not something that will make the decision easier when the time comes.

Originally posted by dks1240

coming from a girl's perspective and um yea well you know...go for the circumcision...please.

Any particular reason?

Originally posted by unsonny

my lil' guy gets chilly sometimes, he needs his hoody back

:laugh:

And yeah, I've been trimmed.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Well I am trying to be somewhat serious although comedic response are appreciated as well. I am just trying to learn or understand more about WHY IT IS DONE REGULARLY. I mean, if it isn't because of health issues, then why exactly as a society is it such a norm? Trust me, if you see the procedure done, it is not something that will make the decision easier when the time comes.

Because the hospital can do it in what, 20 minutes? Then bill the insurance company another 500-1000 bucks.

In response to the question: Nay.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I'm sure someone will chime in with a study or something like for a response to why society does it. I can speak fo the J-team in saying that it's done because it's one of the commandments and a major ritual coming down all the way from Abraham. That's why we all do it. I can't speak to why Christians do it though.

I think its mostly a cultural preference...

But with my son, it was definitely a good thing we had him circumsized. He had a minor genetic defect and had no visible eyelids at birth. It wasn't life-threatening or anything, but we were concerned about his appearance. Luckily, our obstetrician knew a plastic surgeon who had treated a number of newborns for the same thing. When they did his circumsion, they used the extra skin to fashion him two perfect little eyelids.

I'm so thankful, because today he's a handsome 8 year old and you'd never know there was ever a problem.

Of course, the Dr. did say he'll be c0ck-eyed for life.

Sometimes, its just TOO hard to resist.

Originally posted by Tarhog

But with my son, it was definitely a good thing we had him circumsized. He had a minor genetic defect and had no visible eyelids at birth. It wasn't life-threatening or anything, but we were concerned about his appearance. Luckily, our obstetrician knew a plastic surgeon who had treated a number of newborns for the same thing. When they did his circumsion, they used the extra skin to fashion him two perfect little eyelids.

I'm so thankful, because today he's a handsome 8 year old and you'd never know there was ever a problem.

Of course, the Dr. did say he'll be ****-eyed for life.

Well in your son's case, I can understand perfectly why you would have the procedure done. It made sense.

Originally posted by iheartskins

I'm sure someone will chime in with a study or something like for a response to why society does it. I can speak fo the J-team in saying that it's done because it's one of the commandments and a major ritual coming down all the way from Abraham. That's why we all do it. I can't speak to why Christians do it though.

which commandment?

Originally posted by Tarhog

Of course, the Dr. did say he'll be ****-eyed for life.

:rotflmao:

Hey, at least you didn't start posting pics of a body part other then a nipple.

Originally posted by Liberty

which commandment?

More accurately, I should have said covenant. But it's one of the 613 commandments.

For the covenant, see below:

[Genesis 17] 9 And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations. 10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

Source: Bible.com

Originally posted by Liberty

which commandment?

There are more than the Big 10. They're not all numbered.

To answer someone else, I was raised Eastern Orthodox Christian and I'm circumcised. In some Christian sects it's a tradition the same as it is in Judaism. One of my friends' father is from Ethiopia. He converted to Orthodox Christianity during adolescence and had to have the procedure done then. Ouch.

Archived