Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's With All The Smoot Bashing?

bwall-2

How come people are dogging Smoot now that there's a chance that he might not return.I've read post where people say that he's expendable,he gets beat deep a lot,which is a lie,and if he ask for a lot of money,he should be shown the door.

Let me tell you,I have the NFL Sunday Ticket,so I've seen just about every other corner,and Smoot is as good,if not better than all of them.

I just wish people was as passionate about keeping Smoot hear as they are about defending the "still developing"Ramsey.

The Skins have a young,stud corner,they should do everything in there power to keep him.And I don't want to hear any salerycap nonsense,because it never stopped us from going after other teams free agents.

That's not the point, Vladimir. Roland "Chump" Bailey didn't want to be here... He didn't want to sign regardless, and then after we traded him he got ****y thinking he was the best corner in the league and down talked the 'Skins... He then proceeded to get burned two to three times a week.

As for the original question, I agree with afparent in the sense that we all love Smoot but having Chump and Peeon as advisors isn't a great idea in the PR department... Neither liked Washington very much... Although Deion will say he did just because he's still collecting a paycheck.

You don't realize, most of the people here who don't want to keep Smoot around all of a sudden are some of the same ones who want us to go after Bree's or whoever is the big hot QB commodity on the market. Smoot will be the top CB in the UFA market this offseason and anyone who thinks he is not a legit top CB is fooling themselves.

All this bashing is because it's time for him to get paid and normal people like you and I don't care to watch some dude to get paid what he's worth according to the NFL today. There are a lot of haters when it comes to this time of year with players. If it was us, we'd be trying to get all we could get...just like they are.

I, fortunately have been in a situation like this before when I was negotiating my first professional baseball contract. You need to make sure that you can get as much as you can that is guranteed because you never know something might happen the next day and you might not be able to play sports ever again. That's just the nature of the business. Smoot will be signed and he will get "his" market value.

See some people seem to think he's going to be asking for Champ money. If I remember correctly he was asking something more in the range of Springs. Which I think is fair for him. That would be a good contract for Smoot, something in that neighborhood. That's fair for the team and that's fair for the player.

Stop hating on someone because he's just trying to get what the NFL allows you to get. The guy is a great Redskin. I gurantee he will give the Redskins every shot to sign him before he walks out the door. But stop the hating man... it's lame and it shows that you're jealous.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Funny, I'm noticing some of the same comments being made about Smoot that were made about Champ a year ago. Why am I not surprised?

It is only surprising in that what was said about Champ was true and what is being said about Smoot is false. But, this is somewhat expected due to how people are. If they fear they'll lose someone valuable they need to find a way to make that player LESS valuable.

In the case of Champ, we were correct to note as good as he was he didn't help us very much. If we lose Smooty, we'll know the pain.

I think Smoot is a top 20 CB in the league b/c he is a hell of a cover man but he will not move into that upper Echelon b/c he doesnt tackle well....Let alone RB,s he doesnt even tackle WR's well....That being said I want him to stay b/c he is a "Redskin" and I do believe that he really does want to be here but if he wants more than a "Springs" type contract he can go and be replaced by players w/equal talent...I.E. Gary Baxter of the Ravens....What we will miss is his heart....

Originally posted by bwall-2

How come people are dogging Smoot now that there's a chance that he might not return.I've read post where people say that he's expendable,he gets beat deep a lot,which is a lie,and if he ask for a lot of money,he should be shown the door.

Let me tell you,I have the NFL Sunday Ticket,so I've seen just about every other corner,and Smoot is as good,if not better than all of them.

I just wish people was as passionate about keeping Smoot hear as they are about defending the "still developing"Ramsey.

The Skins have a young,stud corner,they should do everything in there power to keep him.And I don't want to hear any salerycap nonsense,because it never stopped us from going after other teams free agents.

Oh you didnt hear, we have the number 2 defense, he is expendable now:doh: :rolleyes:

Smoot needs to be back.

Everyone does it. I bashed Trotter and Douglas when he left last year. This year, I love to say how Bobby Taylor is a nickle back and Troy Vincent missed 10 games with injury.

The only player that I will never bash is Duce Staley. He's still my favorite player in the NFL.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

staley_photo.jpg

Originally posted by jtyler42

I think Smoot is a top 20 CB in the league b/c he is a hell of a cover man but he will not move into that upper Echelon b/c he doesnt tackle well....Let alone RB,s he doesnt even tackle WR's well....That being said I want him to stay b/c he is a "Redskin" and I do believe that he really does want to be here but if he wants more than a "Springs" type contract he can go and be replaced by players w/equal talent...I.E. Gary Baxter of the Ravens....What we will miss is his heart....

haha, a top 20 cb? name a cornerback who lays people out. smoot tackles as well as any cornerback can, he just doesn't put out big hits because he's too small. but he does defend the run well and he does wrap people up.

top 20 cb...can you name the 19 other corners?:laugh:

Originally posted by afparent

almost everyone loves Smoot, but we are disturbed with his advisors, deion and champ. We have to believe the franchise has given him a generous offer. Bottom line, we love him but he hasn't even made a probowl.

On Redskins Report yesterday George Michael mentioned that they offered a 10.3 million signing bonus in addition to a "lucrative" salary, and Smoot has already turned it down.

I love Smoot and hope he stays a Redskin. He is an excellent cover corner and is a great player to have around. That said, the skins need to start getting smart with their money. Offer Smoot basically what Springs got. That is a fair offer IMHO. If Smoots rejects it and wants Champ money than I say let him go. Not because he is not a great player or a player that you don't want around, but he is a player that you can no longer afford because you have to sign other players.

Lavar is a great example of a great player that is a true skin that got a lot of money and didn't contribute to the #2 D in the league. I am not saying that it would not have been better if he had played, but it is about ensuring the team manages it's cap wisely.

As someone pointed out earlier, Smoot should take care of himself and get a lot of guaranteed money, but the team has to take care of itself as well.

Was I the only one who heard on Redskins Report last night that Smoot turned down an offer with a 10.3 million dollar bonus attached to it?

I mean, come on. Since when is it bad to say, hey, that's too much, back off a little? The Redskins perhaps don't want to tie that much up in a player that plays a position that is hampered by the rules more than ever before. Nobody is a shut-down corner anymore.. NO one.

Could be the Redskins feel confident they can get decent production out of the position for a bit less money.

~Bang

Originally posted by Fred Jones

I love Smoot and hope he stays a Redskin. He is an excellent cover corner and is a great player to have around. That said, the skins need to start getting smart with their money. Offer Smoot basically what Springs got. That is a fair offer IMHO. If Smoots rejects it and wants Champ money than I say let him go. Not because he is not a great player or a player that you don't want around, but he is a player that you can no longer afford because you have to sign other players.

Lavar is a great example of a great player that is a true skin that got a lot of money and didn't contribute to the #2 D in the league. I am not saying that it would not have been better if he had played, but it is about ensuring the team manages it's cap wisely.

As someone pointed out earlier, Smoot should take care of himself and get a lot of guaranteed money, but the team has to take care of itself as well.

Lavar was injured since week 2.. so how can he contribute in anyway? I really do believe smoot will be back.

Archived