Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

the No. 5 pick

method man

What do we need in the draft? A nose tackle and a good starting FS.

We need a nose tackle because griffin cant play nose because he is only 300. noble could play NT if he is healthy enough but i would rather let him play part-time and handle him with kid gloves so he doesnt get reinjured. haley is not good enough to be a starter. the best Nts are available in the draft. marcus tubbs and isaac sopoaga are big men who can rush the passer as well as anchor against the run. and we may be able to get one of the two in the early second round of the draft, probably tubbs.

We need a good FS without glaring weaknesses. There are two in the draft that I feel satisfy this criterion. They are Sean Jones from Georgia and Madieu Williams from Maryland. Deon Grant is overrated and will prove to not be an upgrade over bowen. Sean Jones has played FS for a relatively short time and the scary thing is that the more he learns the position the better he can become. he is currently strong against both the run and pass. he is ready to be a starter from day one. We need a good FS because in Williams defense the 2 CBs and the FS are left alone on a little island.

so we can get these two by trading down in the draft from the no. 5 pick. wilfork will not be good in the nfl except as a one-dimensional run-stopper, because of his short arms. the only DT with short-arms who is successful is laroi glover. we can get both tubbs and jones in the late first round/early second. so we must trade down and along the way acquire even more picks to possibly get one of the bens and dave ball from ucla. there is no one in the top 10 that we truly need so it would make sense to trade down and get multiple starters.

so all u guys who want to draft sean taylor please:

:stfu:

Nobe is only 305.

I think you are right in that the Skins need 2 additional DL, one at DE and another DT, but Griffin at 300 has the necessary strength and athleticism to make plays for us in the run game.

Safety is another need area but I would be leery of adding a big-time contract for Sean Taylor as the #5 overall pick.

I think we can get a veteran safety in free agency or even after June 1 that can be serviceable.

I agree with the team's move to find a capable #3 corner by signing Butler to an offer sheet and that is the biggest need in the backfield right now.

I don't know why people make such a deal out of Wilfork's short arms. The T-Rex had short arms, but it was still the baddest dinosaur on the block:laugh:

I would like to see us resign Darryl Gardener if he can get out of his Denver contract and we can sign him for a reasonable, incentives heavy contract. If we can't get the deal done before the draft, I suspect the Skins will trade down and go with the best DE or DT available. If we can sign Gardener, stick with the #5 and grab Taylor if he is still around.

When I look at our roster, if you include Rasby, I think we are largely acceptable at every position BUT defensive tackle and defensive end you know can rush the passer. Now, to a lesser degree you can appreciate that we need a safety, though Ohalete and Bowen are probably ok there. We do lack depth there so something else has to be added.

We also don't have a "weapon" at tight end. But it's hard to say Gibbs has to have that as Gibbs seems to need a blocker more than anything else there.

Deon Grant is an upgrade at free safety over Bowen. Bowen is a more natural strong safety. Adding Grant gives you better coverage and comfort at free safety and lengthens your bench at strong safety. As Grant is available in free agency, I think you must make a push for him as getting him means you can look somewhere OTHER than safety in the draft.

More and more I think we are getting to a point where defensive line has to be addressed. I know Williams says he builds from the outside in -- corner and defensive end first -- but if Noble isn't 100 percent, we are seriously lacking at tackle right now. Wilfork looked great in his workouts. I wouldn't be surprised to see us slide down a spot or two, giving the team that wants Taylor a shot at him while we do go with defensive line.

I think it comes down to what we do through the rest of free agency though. If we add another competent lineman we will look elsewhere. If we add a safety we will look elsewhere. Winslow seems like he could be the "dream" pick to complete an offense and make it as talented and versatile and complete as any in football. So, that could still happen.

One problem with your theory....

You're WRONG! :laugh:

1) We're OK on the interior line. Not great but OK. DE would be my choice for the next D line upgrade.

2) Bowen is better than most people think. Last week somone started a "we need this guy (FA safety)" thread. I forget who it was but for all of the "Bowen sucks" comments when it came down to it he had just as many Int's and at least a dozen more tackles than the guy people wanted us to replace him with. :doh: Bowens only problem is that we over hyped him and we were dissapointed to find out he was not the next Ronny Lott. The point of all this is... We don't need another "good" safety. We would be better off with Bowen and his experience than a "good" rookie.

The thing about Taylor is, he is not just good, he has the potential to be one of the best ever. That makes him an upgrade, not just to the position but for the whole defense. Taylor and KWJ are once in a decade type players. You can't just say "we'll get somone just as good next year". And you cant say the same thing about any of the D linemen in this years draft.

And lastly let's review a safety's responsibilitys.

1) Coverage support.

2) Run support.

3) Pass rushing.

Great safety play gives D coordinators a lot of flexibility when designing a game plan. Great safety play is what makes the 46 D work. A guy like Taylor can cover the middle of the field by himself and allow a guy like Bowen to come up and act as an extra LB or vice versa to blitz.

No matter what. With the talent available at positions that can really help us, we need to think long and hard about passing these guys up, buy trading down.

So what if we don't fill every need this year if you can get someone who can offset the need and build a better team in the long run.

Now. You have one pick. Who do you choose?:high:

You know, we went into the offseason with picks in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th rounds.

We traded them and quite wisely I might add.

Now, we're going to try and stock pile some draft picks to fill needs. I don't see it. If youth was the key, I don't think we would of been willing to lose all those picks to make those particular deals happen.

The money isn't the issue to me, its the quality of player. When we are done with FA, then we'll know where we're going in the draft or at least be able to narrow it down to a couple of things.

The draft is a different creature. FA is almost over for us. We'll see.

You do make a good point Utah.

We've gone through and traded almost all of our picks. Now we're going to turn around and trade down to stockpile picks? That seems to be going against what we've been doing the last two years.

Youth is critically important. Getting all these young, somewhat proven pros is sticking with youth. It is using later round picks for people who've already shown they can play in the NFL and people who are young enough to be around for a while.

It does seem odd to me though that after just three picks last year and what looks like one scheduled for this year that we'd suddenly turn around and acquire more picks. Obviously we may trade down a little for value's sake. But, that's to be smart, not to build through the draft. This team is young and built a little differently than many. We'll see what Gibbs can do with it.

I definetly agree that KWII and Sean Taylor are once in a life time players. It will be interesting to see what Gibbs decides to do. Whatever he has done in the past (3 superbowls, Nascar) turns to gold! Let's just sit back and watch Gibbs work his magic. He worked it in the early 80's during the strike, he'll do it again. That's a guarantee!

we have seemed to use our lmited picks well this year. One question though, if we do get Butler from the Rams, wouldnt that leave us with 3 potential starting CB's, im sure one of them will be annoyed. Also, I felt Bauman was a good hardworking nickel CB, unless his contract is almost up or something. We are pretty much set at every position except the d-line, but it seems that Snyder is pretty much done for now with free agency.

Originally posted by method man

We need a nose tackle because griffin cant play nose because he is only 300. noble could play NT if he is healthy enough but i would rather let him play part-time and handle him with kid gloves so he doesnt get reinjured. haley is not good enough to be a starter. the best Nts are available in the draft. marcus tubbs and isaac sopoaga are big men who can rush the passer as well as anchor against the run. and we may be able to get one of the two in the early second round of the draft, probably tubbs.

We need a good FS without glaring weaknesses. There are two in the draft that I feel satisfy this criterion. They are Sean Jones from Georgia and Madieu Williams from Maryland. Deon Grant is overrated and will prove to not be an upgrade over bowen. Sean Jones has played FS for a relatively short time and the scary thing is that the more he learns the position the better he can become. he is currently strong against both the run and pass. he is ready to be a starter from day one. We need a good FS because in Williams defense the 2 CBs and the FS are left alone on a little island.

so we can get these two by trading down in the draft from the no. 5 pick. wilfork will not be good in the nfl except as a one-dimensional run-stopper, because of his short arms. the only DT with short-arms who is successful is laroi glover. we can get both tubbs and jones in the late first round/early second. so we must trade down and along the way acquire even more picks to possibly get one of the bens and dave ball from ucla. there is no one in the top 10 that we truly need so it would make sense to trade down and get multiple starters.

After contemplating several different scenarios, this one seems to be the most responsible. Taylor seems to be more of a luxury pick at this point and creating depth while signing multiple young players to resonable contracts seem like the way to go.

I'm not a college football fan, so my knowledge is limited regarding the prospects out of the top 10 - but I have to say I'd feel good if we were able to score a DT, DE, and a TE in the draft. IMHO that would make this one of our best offseasons in recent memory.

From all the so-called experts I have been reading...it seems most likely we will trade our 5th pick to the Texans for their 10th pick in 1st round and either the Texans 2nd round pick or the Texans 3rd and 4th round picks...then we will take Uduze....seems logical to me...by the way....any Maryland fans coming to Greensboro this week for the ACC tournament...let me know I need tix for the Friday afternoon session..or any games that you may not see...

Originally posted by method man

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather trade down and pick up a DT, DE, and TE if possible. Taylor sounds like a stud, but may be a luxury for us with only one pick left in the draft. I'd also like to see us trade a guy like Rod Gardner for a pick or two. I think McCants could be a decent 2nd receiver for us based on what he did last season.

I do not want this thread to go offtopic, but Bowen is a horrible tackler who takes bad angles. If he can improve on his tackling, then drafting a safety may be a luxury. but when iffy wasnt playing in the last game of the season, bowen and franz were made the eagles wrs's b!tch3s

I think things will firm up once the rest of the Pro Days are completed. Taylor is rumored to have scheduled another workout, and if he should happen to only duplicate what he did the first time.... there may be several teams who have targeted him that think his value would be better served from #10 down.

If that is the case, the Redskins would be in great position to trade out of #5 with a team that wants Williams/Gallery/BigBen/ Fitgerald.

I'm of the belief that at this point the draft should be utilized to fill the remaining holes with players who can be coached into starting roles. Players who could play immediately yet might be part of a rotation to start.

Move down, incrementally, as far as it takes to acquire a 2nd and 3rd pick. Starks in Rd #1 around 17-25, Ben Watson in Rd #2, and possibly Madieu Williams (S) in Rd. #3. That's three potential starters with what amounted to the #5 pick. Isn't three potential starters better than a Blue Chipper like Sean Taylor or Kellen Winslow II?

Originally posted by Mad Mike

1) We're OK on the interior line. Not great but OK. DE would be my choice for the next D line upgrade.

2) Bowen is better than most people think. Last week somone started a "we need this guy (FA safety)" thread. I forget who it was but for all of the "Bowen sucks" comments when it came down to it he had just as many Int's and at least a dozen more tackles than the guy people wanted us to replace him with. :doh: Bowens only problem is that we over hyped him and we were dissapointed to find out he was not the next Ronny Lott. The point of all this is... We don't need another "good" safety. We would be better off with Bowen and his experience than a "good" rookie.

The thing about Taylor is, he is not just good, he has the potential to be one of the best ever. That makes him an upgrade, not just to the position but for the whole defense. Taylor and KWJ are once in a decade type players. You can't just say "we'll get somone just as good next year". And you cant say the same thing about any of the D linemen in this years draft.

And lastly let's review a safety's responsibilitys.

1) Coverage support.

2) Run support.

3) Pass rushing.

Great safety play gives D coordinators a lot of flexibility when designing a game plan. Great safety play is what makes the 46 D work. A guy like Taylor can cover the middle of the field by himself and allow a guy like Bowen to come up and act as an extra LB or vice versa to blitz.

No matter what. With the talent available at positions that can really help us, we need to think long and hard about passing these guys up, buy trading down.

So what if we don't fill every need this year if you can get someone who can offset the need and build a better team in the long run.

Now. You have one pick. Who do you choose?:high:

When will you ever learn Mike? :) We're not OK on the line. We've added 2 solid players, but we have no NT, no pass rusher, and little depth. We're going to move around in the draft through trades and take an end with the first pick, hopefully Udeze, and one of the many DT's with the other pick, hopefully Starks.:high: :cheers:

Archived