Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Rookie camp/OTA/Training camp thread.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Offenses typically average about 65 plays per game.  So, if they are on the high end of Quinn's range at 30, then that's about 35 passes.

If it's on the low end, 26, that's 39 passes.  

I posted above before I saw this quote.  

It feels about right.  High 20's rushing attempts, mid-30's passing attempts.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Can we please run BRob into the ground this season? 

Thanks.

Lets mix in targets too - love the circles and just off on the sideline waiting for the ball...

Since we dont have an RB thread not even an offense thread, we dont talk backs. BRob was a total stud before inuries IIRC and its not just manders fans that saw it - once we FINALLY started using him in the passing game he was a total stud an all down back that we just never seem to have. We draft guys and if they didnt log a ton of catches in college - tough **** they will not be used in the passing game.  Folks complain about EB but he got BRob the ball out of the backfield and he showed the world he can catch.   BRob finished ~20th in fantasy RB scoring. He produced with little support.

We dont have to always run BRob or always pass to Ekeler... its too easy for DCs.

First TD last year? Passing TD to BRob.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim, playing up the leaders now on this team which was missing previously.

I've heard others around the team that Jonathan Allen is a good dude but not a traditional leader type -- he's more a set an example and gets angry when things go awry.  Terry is more of a leader by example on and off the field.

But been missing that London Fletcher type.  Mitch Tischler who has been around the team for a decade plus really emphasized over the years the lack of leaders.

Keim talked up Bobby Wagner on this front who is already a mentor to some players and helping the O line, etc.   Ertz and Ekeler.

I know among the draftees -- Sainstrill known as a vocal leader and mentor.  Coleman is vocal.   McCaffrey comes off as polished already as Terry.

Listening to his colllege coach, Sinnott, comes off a bit of a character, prankster, etc -- so his similarities to Cooley might transcend just his play.

What a great job infusing great vet influencers with some hand chosen rookie leaders!

This team surely has lacked that for years. Fletcher retired in freaking 2013.

With RR and JDR they brought in no real vocal leaders until last year with the sometimes abrasive and often question what was being uttered EB

I am just loving this transition and OMG...we should have offered Wagner a piece of the freaking franchise years ago!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Props, Mr. Holt. I agree wholeheartedly. 

Maybe we do need a RB thread...

I think he was our best player last year.  I am excited to see Ekeler in the mix. No relief for DCs when BRob needs a breather.  CRod seems typecast as a typical bruiser with little to add in the passing game but I liked what I saw. Back on point we may for the first time in my fading recent memory have 2 all down backs. I have always wanted even 1 and let the OC not HAVE to run to be able to (play) pass. 

I love our scat backs of the past but it was painful to see those guys run between the tackles to keep defenses honest. Code for running into a brick wall. It's a myth that the pass cannot be used to set up the run. I loved the OCs that would still get those 20+ carries logged after dissecting a defense with the pass to start games and forging a big lead. The DC miffed why him game planning for run run short pass failed.

I wonder how many times we have seen a plodder run predictably between the tackles for no gain to start a game. Bonus trivia, how many also had a holding penalty. One of the worst plays to watch happen to your team.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's 35 runs a game if you don't account for Daniel's running.

I know you love the run game, but I doubt it works out like that.  Yes, they're going to run the ball more, but I think they're not going to try and hide Daniels in the passing game.  They're going to let him throw it a bunch.  Some will be shorter, quick game stuff.  

There will be balance, and we will run the ball a lot more.  But I doubt we run more than we pass.  Remember, Kliff's formative years were in the air raid offense.  Are we going to run the air raid offense?  No.  But he likes to throw the ball. And we're going to throw the ball.  Probably more than we run it, at least by a little bit.   

Wanna bet?

46 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think he was our best player last year.  I am excited to see Ekeler in the mix. No relief for DCs when BRob needs a breather.  CRod seems typecast as a typical bruiser with little to add in the passing game but I liked what I saw. Back on point we may for the first time in my fading recent memory have 2 all down backs. I have always wanted even 1 and let the OC not HAVE to run to be able to (play) pass. 

I love our scat backs of the past but it was painful to see those guys run between the tackles to keep defenses honest. Code for running into a brick wall. It's a myth that the pass cannot be used to set up the run. I loved the OCs that would still get those 20+ carries logged after dissecting a defense with the pass to start games and forging a big lead. The DC miffed why him game planning for run run short pass failed.

I wonder how many times we have seen a plodder run predictably between the tackles for no gain to start a game. Bonus trivia, how many also had a holding penalty. One of the worst plays to watch happen to your team.

I agree with you except for the fact that I'd like to see BRob spelled by CRod and not Ekeler. At this point in his career, I see Ekeler as a 3rd down back. I think he's best cast in that role. 

BRob's pass catching was one of the lone bright spots from last year's offense. I hope it doesn't go unnoticed by the new coaching staff. 

All of the chatter from the beat writers seem to indicate that they will aim for more balance in the offense, both because it's the right thing to do but will also help with Jayden's development. Something that the last regime failed to do with Howell.

• Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

I agree with you except for the fact that I'd like to see BRob spelled by CRod and not Ekeler. At this point in his career, I see Ekeler as a 3rd down back. I think he's best cast in that role. 

BRob's pass catching was one of the lone bright spots from last year's offense. I hope it doesn't go unnoticed by the new coaching staff. 

All of the chatter from the beat writers seem to indicate that they will aim for more balance in the offense, both because it's the right thing to do but will also help with Jayden's development. Something that the last regime failed to do with Howell.

Ekeler had a down year. He looked disinterested at times. I have heard the injury carryover excuses and am hoping that was all that was really holding him back. Charger dysfunction and the WR room wrecked by injury allowed defenses to key on him. He's 29 so yeah he may be here in part for his leadership but think he's got plenty in the tank.

I agree he is likely to be in the traditional 3rd down role. Transitioning to life as an "old" RB.  When BRob gets a series off, are we going to see Rodriquez? I think its going to be the BRob and AA show and no matter the down and distance both can hold their own. I do envision our first 3rd and long we are going to see AA but my point is we can pass to backs on first down. It will be interesting to see play out but I dont want a 3 headed monster RB room.

I always contend the handcuff to an RB1 may be 2 guys. Game day backup (AA) and next game (CRod).  I am going to bet its AA for both if he shows in camp he's still got it.

Edited by RandyHolt

38 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

@ILikeBilly2 it's chicken **** and worse than useless to 👎 posts you don't like while contributing nothing to the discussion of your own.

Just a friendly tip...calling people out like that is against the rules. Ya may wanna edit before you get in trouble.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Just a friendly tip...calling people out like that is against the rules. Ya may wanna edit before you get in trouble.

Phrasing!!

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Xameil said:

The call out thread rule is about creating threads that call out posters for personal vendettas.  That's not what I did.  I criticized that poster for his passive aggressive behavior in this thread.  I've seen people post this criticism before because we had two posters who thumbs downed posts without bothering to write their own takes all of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The call out thread rule is about creating threads that call out posters for personal vendettas.  That's not what I did.  I criticized that poster for his passive aggressive behavior in this thread.  I've seen people post this criticism before because we had two posters who thumbs downed posts without bothering to write their own takes all of the time.

Is it possible that he didn't have time to write a soliloquy about how he feels? So he just did a quick thumbs down?

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Is it possible that he didn't have time to write a soliloquy about how he feels? So he just did a quick thumbs down?

While this thread is spiraling I will add my two cents: if you feel the need to thumbs down, I’d highly encourage some interaction as to why. If I know someone’s stance on something and I get thumbs downed, I know why.

If I have no idea how someone thinks, adding a brief line about why they disagree (doesn’t need to be a sililoquy (I’m not even sure what that is… I’m a football coach, me not know things) adds a lot to the forum.

Unless they reply with, “I disagree because I know things and you’re stupid”. Which is useless. And to me, most of the time, drive by thumbs down are essentially that statement with intent to troll.

That likely isn’t what some of these posters are doing. They probably just don’t realize the optics. 

But I encourage people to hop in and if they want to keep it brief just stick to their thoughts, “I disagree because…”

Most times it doesn’t need to exceed a sentence. 

Anyone reading who thumbs down, I realize you’re probably an awesome human with no intent to troll or patronize. Really, what I’d love to see is added discussion.

I get tired of reading the same takes over and over. Jump in the pool, no one besides @Koolblue13 bites.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1

43 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Well, aeeing as tho I got a warning for it once, juat thought Id help ya out...but wtf do I care

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I get tired of reading the same takes over and over. Jump in the pool, no one besides @Koolblue13 bites.

He's vegan, so pretty sure his bites hurt less then a mosquito 

• Haha 3
  • Thumb down 1

AUSTIN EKELER & BRIAN ROBINSON HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE ONE OF THE BEST RUNNING BACK DUOS IN THE NFL

https://atozsports.com/washington/commanders-austin-ekeler-brian-robinson-best-running-back-duo/

Ekeler and Robinson are a great fit and have the potential to be a lethal duo

It's due to the fact that both players bring a different running style/game to the table at different sizes. Ekeler is the smaller, quicker back at 5-foot-10, 200-pounds and Robinson is listed at 6-foot-1, 228-pounds. 

The key with both, though, as explained earlier, is they can catch the ball. That will keep defenses honest when either on the field. It won't be like a, let's say, Derrick Henery-Tyjae Spears deal where the chances of a run increase exponentially when Henry is on the field due to his lack of effectiveness in both pass pro and as a receiver.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

My keyboard isn't working and I can't type well on my phone, but **** you two. Thumbs Down finger up.  :ols:

Hey wasn't it established that if you're going to give a thumbs down you need to provide alittle more insight

Edited by Xameil
  • Thumb down 3

29 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Hey wasn't it established that if you're going to give a thumbs down you need to provide alittle more insight

Lol dicks...cant even put something for me to quote 

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

@ILikeBilly2 it's chicken **** and worse than useless to 👎 posts you don't like while contributing nothing to the discussion of your own.

My thumbs down was on your post saying Wylie is average and the line last year was average.  And the fans were just protecting Howell.  The next post disagreed and I felt no need to repeat what has been said sooooo many times.

I totally disagree with your take.  Again, it would be repetitive to give the details.

Your post that I quoted above is aggressive and if "it is" was changed to "you are", I suspect you would have received a suspension.  

Following the logic of your post, you must also be against drive by thumbs up and heart emojis.  Is it " useless" to give a quote a thumbs up without a follow up comment?  Seems ridiculous to me.

Edited by ILikeBilly2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

Following the logic of your post, you must also be against drive by thumbs up and heart emojis.  Is it " useless" to give a quote a thumbs up without a follow up comment?  Seems ridiculous to me.

It's different to give positive affirmation without context than negative. 

For example, next time you see your girlfriend/wife tell her she looks really pretty and walk away. You will have made her day, she'll feel good about herself and nothing else need be said.

Now try the same thing but tell her she looks awful and see what happens if you try to walk away.

I'm in agreement that the thumbs down emoji should only be used if someone posts something abhorrent that needs no context otherwise its a little cowardly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It's different to give positive affirmation without context than negative. 

For example, next time you see your girlfriend/wife tell her she looks really pretty and walk away. You will have made her day, she'll feel good about herself and nothing else need be said.

Now try the same thing but tell her she looks awful and see what happens if you try to walk away.

I'm in agreement that the thumbs down emoji should only be used if someone posts something abhorrent that needs no context otherwise its a little cowardly. 

The very next post, by KDAWG, I think gave the context.  If I read a post at 2am about EB being an average offensive coordinator, I want to be able to thumbs down without needing to post.  That is not the same as criticizing someone in person, where it is easy to add details.  

If there is no rule against this type of behavior, I will continue posting in the manner of my choosing.  I'm not trying to be mean, just showing disagreement, without providing details.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

The very next post, by KDAWG, I think gave the context.  If I read a post at 2am about EB being an average offensive coordinator, I want to be able to thumbs down without needing to post.  That is not the same as criticizing someone in person, where it is easy to add details.  

If there is no rule against this type of behavior, I will continue posting in the manner of my choosing.  I'm not trying to be mean, just showing disagreement, without providing details.  

Well, we know you have excellent taste. 

• Haha 1