Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois

PCS

7 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Is that the hit Dexter put on Danny White, ringing his clock? If so said he was going to do it before the playoff game, and backed it up. White was never the same after that game. Monte closing in too.

Dexter didn't just "ring his clock" (one of the best mixed metaphors of all time), Dexter also tipped Hogeboom's pass that Darryl Grant picked off and high-stepped into the endzone with to seal the game.  (Well, Riggo sealed it but big DG put it out of reach.)  If he coulda just stayed off the nose candy....  What a game-changer.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

It's not healed..not allowing his bone to completely heal before doing anything is very stupid. There's no doc who would sign off on him for full duty without an MRI which would have revealed incomplete fussion. Seems as though he felt better and likely did whatever he wanted instead of the latter and now there's a price to pay. You cannot train bone growth. They can stimulate it, but those don't work on everyone and the amount of increased growth isn't much.  

6-9 MONTHS for that to fully heal...he had surgery in January...he participted in a Pro Day at the end of April.  HUGE mistake! 

Everything you said, as always, when it comes to the medical field, injuries, etc is true and accurate.

Uhm, I just felt I needed to mention that my complete post was just a joke. Even the part about Keim saying the surgery went well was just part of the setup.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Everything you said, as always, when it comes to the medical field, injuries, etc is true and accurate.

Uhm, I just felt I needed to mention that my complete post was just a joke. Even the part about Keim saying the surgery went well was just part of the setup.

It's just the fact he's in the boot. 

Now, what would you do as an athlete trying to get that 1st round $$?  Exactly what he did. I get it. 

If tthey had an MRI before they drafted him, then they knew it wasn't completely healed. If they did not have an MRI, they have one now! 

That's why he's in a boot. Clock restarts at the point his foot goes in the boot.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, srtman04 said:

Now we know why he fell out of the 1st.......

Prolly

But its a blessing too. Great talent at a cheaper price, as long as your willing to dish out for the injury tax.

Given our roster construction, if there is any rookie we can afford to slow roll with its this dude.

Give him all the time he needs, limit his reps, whatever. No rush whatsoever.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Now we know why he fell out of the 1st.......

Makes sense. 

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Prolly

But its a blessing too. Great talent at a cheaper price, as long as your willing to dish out for the injury tax.

Given our roster construction, if there is any rookie we can afford to slow roll with its this dude.

Give him all the time he needs, limit his reps, whatever. No rush whatsoever.

Ya man, it's a bargain...still a great pick for them and wasn't for those that needed a DT this year. 

We can say that the new Medical Staff is on top of it. He won't be on the field until it's fully closed. 👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Clock restarts at the point his foot goes in the boot.

So does that mean another 6 to 9 months, beginning when he put on the boot?

If so, this season may end up being the pro equivalent of a red shirt year.

2 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

It's Wilkinson, and with a great block from D. Green he had an 88 yd pick-6 against the Bears in 1999.  Oddly, Big Daddy had 4 picks while he played for us.  For a DT, that's pretty good.  Wilkinson was ok; Stumblefield was the real problem.

You're right. I confused the two of them. I remember it because I'm old. Coincidentally, that's also why I forget them.  :ols:

Posted (edited)

I was so psyched when we got Stubby. DPOY 15 sacks... we had him playing read react and get run over in a passive D. Like so many DT studs we brought in - he did nothing here. I will forever blame our collective passive lame duck DCs not unleashing them in our perennial bend dont break carlos cushions littered with giving up 9 yards on first and 99 yard drives. And losing.

Dana may have been the best of them.  I remember Sean Gilbert was here too. Doing nothing.

Edited by RandyHolt

15 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I was so psyched when we got Stubby. DPOY 15 sacks... we had him playing read react and get run over in a passive D. Like so many DT studs we brought in - he did nothing here. I will forever blame our collective passive lame duck DCs not unleashing them in our perennial bend dont break carlos cushions littered with giving up 9 yards on first and 99 yard drives. And losing.

Dana may have been the best of them.  I remember Sean Gilbert was here too. Doing nothing.

Sean Gilbert was a beast here.  If he doesn't hold out, we win the division in 1998.  There's a reason he got 2 firsts in a trade.  He was a dominant DT.  

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

So does that mean another 6 to 9 months, beginning when he put on the boot?

If so, this season may end up being the pro equivalent of a red shirt year.

Post surgical recovery time is based off of adhearance to the plan...he didn't follow the plan. He should have not participated in that Pro Day. Minus the MRI and measuring any gaps (which they did and put him in a boot), it's a guess. I have no idea which procedure he had, but normal Jones Fracture uses a compression screw and patients feel better far sooner than the actual healing time. As long as he didn't do too much damage, calcium deposits will fill in the gaps. It's not super bad or he'd have another surgery to fix it again. 

Best guess is 4 months...so August  ==> If I were the Commanders MRO I'd make him wear the boot with any weight bearing the entire time. 

The rehab is zero toe stress. He definitely screwed that up. Was only supposed to bear weight on his heal but he was non-compliant.

Other scenario is it's just not 100% closed and so you'd put him in a boot and scan him again in a few weeks. 

This is what we're hoping for! 🙏

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Sean Gilbert was a beast here.  If he doesn't hold out, we win the division in 1998.  There's a reason he got 2 firsts in a trade.  He was a dominant DT.  

He was a beast 100% yep a dominant DT. Maybe he held out because he didn't like the way he was being used here. I remember having far higher expectations of him than what we got out of him, so I probably didn't like it either.

I am still miffed to hear Newton may not be ready for week 1 and still in a walking boot.

Edited by RandyHolt

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

He was a beast 100% yep a dominant DT. Maybe he held out because he didn't like the way he was being used here. I remember having far higher expectations of him than what we got out of him, so I probably didn't like it either.

I am still miffed to hear Newton may not be ready for week 1 and still in a walking boot.

This is gonna end up being a "thing", I fear.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

This is gonna end up being a "thing", I fear.

In the end, a 1st rounder taken in the 2nd round, I think means a trade MAY be on the horizon for Allen.  We need a starting OT on one with potential by trade or a vet player released.  Allen may be traded to a team that we can do a swap with 1 for one or a player and a draft pick.  Minny needs an DT desperately!  They didn't address it in the draft.  

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

In the end, a 1st rounder taken in the 2nd round, I think means a trade MAY be on the horizon for Allen.  We need a starting OT on one with potential by trade or a vet player released.  Allen may be traded to a team that we can do a swap with 1 for one or a player and a draft pick.  Minny needs an DT desperately!  They didn't address it in the draft.  

I would be very surprised if we moved Allen. Even moreso now that we know Newton is going to be coming off a surgery to his foot going into his rookie season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Tell me about a few of the player swap type of trades that happened recently, please.

Why does your imagination immediately want to hurt the team, by deconstructing one of our actual strengths?  

• Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I would be very surprised if we moved Allen. Even moreso now that we know Newton is going to be coming off a surgery to his foot going into his rookie season.

Other option I mentioned if we don't trade Allen is a released vet OT signed.  

Edited by RWJ

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Newton's injury isn't serious at this time.  Other option I mentioned if we don't trade Allen is a released vet OT signed.  

My preference at this point would be to sign a FA over trading anyone on the roster now. 

10 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

My preference at this point would be to sign a FA over trading anyone on the roster now. 

Might be the best move at this point (signing a FA) but we should wait it out.  Benefits to trading.  Allen's production has dropped, he's getting older and getting his contract off the books with the signing of Newton allows us to re-up one of our own or spend on another FA.  

Just now, RWJ said:

Might be the best move at this point (signing a FA) but we should wait it out.  Benefits to trading.  Allen's production has dropped, he's getting older and getting his contract off the books with the signing of Newton allows us to re-up one of our own or spend on another FA.  

The big unknown, of course, is whether last year was a function of overuse/poor scheme or the first in a long decline. Still think it's worth keeping him. He's a leader. We need some consistency.

6 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

The big unknown, of course, is whether last year was a function of overuse/poor scheme or the first in a long decline. Still think it's worth keeping him. He's a leader. We need some consistency.

We shall see how it plays out, bird72.  :)  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just getting ready to post this.  Dude may need to lose weight and become a DE.  This is now a concern. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm not a Podiatrist, but the one treating Newton will figure out why there's extra stress there.  Since the other foot is not the one in the boot, his healing time is 4 months.

They'll have custom cleats made to help shift his weight.

This is why he slipped in the draft.

Some people just have jacked up feet. He'll get it fixed but doesn't trend well for longevity. 

• Thanks 1