Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I think what's clear is they didn't have the same grade on Cooper as others. I know a lot of people liked him but it's clear this regime does thier due dilligence and they didn't value him as much. It may have been a cultural fit. 

Yeah, between the major injury, possible concern he can’t play CB and would be a FS, scheme fit, play style, etc. they may have had Sainistril with similar grade. Obviously, if they LOVED him they would have taken him. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 4:34 PM, method man said:

I give this draft a B+ as well. It's a shame we walked away with just one very raw lineman in such a deep OL class.

We got a number of athletic high character guys, some of whom have produced at a high level at the college level and will contribute here, barring injury. I think a number of these guys will be starters in 2025 and a few of these guys have real Pro Bowl/All Pro potential (namely Daniels and Newton and perhaps Sinnott and McCaffrey). These guys are in a position to learn from the veterans in the org already and ones they brought in over the offseason. Love the idea of having Sinnott learn from Ertz and Magee learn from Wagner. Heck, I would not be surprised if Leno comes back and he is there to mentor Coleman. A number of these guys will also become leaders - I am looking at Sainristil and Magee. I initially had a "huh" moment when they drafted Newton but it makes sense - I would not be surprised at all if Jon Allen is gone midseason or after next season. Not only did he show poor leadership ability last year but he also played like a JAG and wants a new contract. Furthermore, it's going to be awkward when others like Wagner, Fowler and Luvu take the leadership mantle away from him.

I think the biggest mistake may have been passing over Paul/Kingsley/Rosengarten for Sainristil and that is acknowledging the rawness of the first two of those three. Further down the draft, I wish they had taken Christian Jones, Mahogany or Rouse over Hampton. Given the number of college tackles from this class who are going to be guards, I think this guard class was underrated and deeper overall than the much ballyhooed guard class from last year. On the Sainristil piece, I think we got a really good player but the reason that pick annoyed me is because I would've rather taken a shot on a tooled up project with legit left tackle potential. As we all know, this has become such a hard position to find and I would have been A OK with taking both one of Paul/Kingsley/Rosengarten and Coleman with the hopes that at least one of those guys would hit. Solid healthy LTs very rarely hit FA and we saw that with this past FA class and other ones - you either get injured guys like Bakhtiari, Smith and Humphries or ****ty ones like Dillard, J. Williams and Becton.

My issue, as I detailed earlier, is that while I believe we found a bunch of high upside players with great character, the strategic asset management piece of the equation was lacking. All we need to do is juxtapose what the Eagles did with what we did. Howie ran a master class this draft. Look at all the picks he picked up this year and next year in what will be a deeper draft. The answer is obvious for why the Eagles have so many picks. It is because they create excess capital in next year's class before the season starts. This gives them the ability to have more to work with to trade for quality veterans or save those picks and use them the following year / break those picks into more. I believe there were opportunities for us to do something similar with our picks given things that happened around our draft slots. I could be completely wrong but I have to think there were offers for #100 given that it was the last pick on Day 2 and gave teams the chance to snag a guy they really wanted going into Day 3 before teams had the chance to reset their boards for the following day. I think we could've probably moved back into the early or mid 4th, snagged a 6th or a pick next year and still have gotten McCaffrey.

@RWJ alluded to this - Peters did well this offseason for a rookie GM but there are levels between where he is at now and where Howie is. I think the area where Peters beats Howie is scouting individual players. That makes sense given one guy came up as a scout and the other guy came up as an accountant. I do hope Peters does master the asset management piece of the equation as he gets more experience.

You have to acknowledge that the eagles are fundamentally in a different spot than the WFT. We simply lack the assets anywhere to justify such long term building strategies. We don't have anything anywhere in depth other than maybe DT, but even DT is an issue because both guys are out on a free soon, and both are aging out of relevance for extensions beyond the length of their current deals. So you can technically justify investments of draft capital pretty much anywhere, everything needs help. I'd like to build a team like the eagles as well, but the eagles have a roster so good, it was in the Super Bowl and probably should've won just 16 months ago. The last time they had back to back sub .500 seasons suggestive of serious roster build problems was '15-'16, or eight years ago and before that they had had back to back 10-6 seasons so it wasn't even that bad in the first place.

The WFT has been an abject disaster scene for eight years, the polar opposite of Philly (our last positive back to back seasons were '15-'16, a flip side to Philly's run), and in truth, more accurately, for 32 years. Since that 17-14-1 run, we've been remarkably below average until we imploded completely in '23 (we won 7 or 8 games in '17, '18, '20, '21 and '22). 

Overall though, the truth is in those ugly numbers, we haven't won more than half our games in 8 years, and won 4 last year. Our record since that last quality playoff appearance ('20 was a joke), 51-78-2 since that crushing loss to Green Bay in the playoffs with Cousins after the early lead. With two seasons in the past five years where we finished bottom 2 in the league, that tells the tale. We can't do what the eagles are doing because we lack any of the assets to do it.  

• Like 4

On 4/27/2024 at 7:03 PM, clskinsfan said:

Because you didnt add a damn thing that helps your team for 2 or 3 years. Thats why. 

You waste at least half if not more of the rookie deal, and as mentioned, Penix isn't just old, he's exceptionally old, approaching Brandon Weeden/Hayden Hurst level of stupid considering how old he is.

I really liked Penix as a value choice when I thought you could get him round 2 or later in round 1, using a top 10 pick on him was asinine, using a top 10 pick when you already gave Cousins the bag, hell multiple bags, is beyond stupid. If it was JJ, it would still be stupid, but at least he's young and with clean medicals throughout his career. Instead you have an old, overage prospect with med flags out the yin yang, who will be 26 before he starts year 3. Its crazy pills.

There's a reason the NFL looked at Atlanta and just shook their head in shock, repeatedly like the notorious old raider and jet first round foul ups. People were arguing over the weekend on whether it was literally the worst draft pick ever when all things are considered. It's a good contender but there's worse, for sure. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 7:42 PM, seantaylor=god said:

From Ben Standig via the Athletic:

BYU’s Kingsley Suamataia  garnered some late first-round chatter, but three team/league sources told The Athletic they lowered their grades after concerns emerged during the pre-draft process. Suamataia was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs at No. 63.

Med red flags, or off the field red flags? 

23 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

You waste at least half if not more of the rookie deal, and as mentioned, Penix isn't just old, he's exceptionally old, approaching Brandon Weeden/Hayden Hurst level of stupid considering how old he is.

I really liked Penix as a value choice when I thought you could get him round 2 or later in round 1, using a top 10 pick on him was asinine, using a top 10 pick when you already gave Cousins the bag, hell multiple bags, is beyond stupid. If it was JJ, it would still be stupid, but at least he's young and with clean medicals throughout his career. Instead you have an old, overage prospect with med flags out the yin yang, who will be 26 before he starts year 3. Its crazy pills.

There's a reason the NFL looked at Atlanta and just shook their head in shock, repeatedly like the notorious old raider and jet first round foul ups. People were arguing over the weekend on whether it was literally the worst draft pick ever when all things are considered. It's a good contender but there's worse, for sure. 

That pick was beyond stupid. its hilarious watching some of the mediots try to explain away the reasoning when its obvious they themselves dont even believe it was a good pick. Of course watch Cousins get hurt in the first game ala Rogers and Penix light up the NFL as Atl FO will he hailed as geniuses for their foresight 

Edited by oraphus
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 3:25 AM, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

So this consensus big board thing is the first time that I have seen any negativity surrounding our draft. Everywhere/everyone else says that we did great 🤔

Depending upon which big board your talking about guys like Daniels, Sinnott, McCaffrey were all reaches and all day 1 and day 2 guys. A lot of people disagree on that, it's open to interpretation. I think it's pretty clear that we had an interesting draft with a lot of athleticism and upside, but in terms of landing guys at value, that's basically the DT, the Safety, and the LB, those 3 guys are the 3 we got below where they were expected to go, I think the other 6 were at slot or over slot.

Time will tell but for now, in terms of VBD, we reached quite a bit (but I like most of the guys we reached for). 

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Med red flags, or off the field red flags? 

I wouldn’t think Medical flags cause KC pretty much let their All Pro DB Sneed leave cause if concerns over his knee… I doubt they’d draft a Rookie w/concerns medically 

On 4/28/2024 at 9:30 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Sidebar.  

Hearing about Peters working around the clock nonstop and barely even saw his familly since he got here. Quinn I heard has been coming in 5 amish in the off season and has gone at it nonstop,

I appreciate Ron being a nice guy working for a douche owner and an organization desperate for class.  But aside from that with the benefit of hindsight he was a poor man's Bruce Allen (but way classier than Bruce). 

Like Bruce, he treated mediocrity like success and with an odd swagger and complacency about their off seasons.  Bruce in retrospect was better with personnel.  Both both below average at their job.  I'll grant Dan made them along everyone worse at their jobs.  Both were obsessed with winning off the field.  Bruce lost off the field big time though claimed victory.  Ron actually did win off the field but seemed to want to be celebrated for it as if that alone changed the culture.   To me changing the culture isn't just about not being a douche -- its also about building a winning culture.  Building a winning culture isn't about being a nice guy alone.

Sheehan rebroadcasted this off season Ron's farewell press conference in Carolina and the dude came off a bit angry and defiant.  And he came here with the swagger of there was nothing to learn from his mediocre run in Carolina.

Quinn is 180 from that.  He's so obsessed with being a better HC he hired a firm to interview people he's worked with to scope out how to do it better.  He comes off manical in his desire to kill it this time

It's tough to build Rome in a day.  But my gut is that this defense is already going to be top 10.  They will need another off season to build the O line.  I think Jayden has a good shot to be the answer at QB.  The sky is brighter to me.

Wow, Quinn sounds pretty freaking good. Peters already sounds good. But wow, Quinn doing that? Is either Nixon level neuroticism, or the height of best practices and good process, "reflection" at its finest. 

31 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

There was some stuff that came out about his commitment to the game. 

Wondering, was this a rumor or was this confirmed? I haven't seen an actual answer and scoured for that a few days ago.

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I think what's clear is they didn't have the same grade on Cooper as others. I know a lot of people liked him but it's clear this regime does thier due dilligence and they didn't value him as much. It may have been a cultural fit. 

AP has a clear vision of the type of players he wants and while we may see Copper as fitting that profile he and the rest did not so they were not only willing to pass on him but willing to make a trade with a division rival to let them have him. Clearly they could be wrong. But I am willing to give them the benifit of the doubt. 

There is a long list of man crushes from fans that turned out to have something wrong with them we did not know.  

You must be correct because AP stated they had Newton well hire than any one else on their board. Newton absolutely fits the culture, perhaps Dejean somehow doesn't. I do know there were a lot of boards that had Dejean well higher than Newt.  It was a shocker to me when the announcement came as Dejean would have fit well, I had him well higher, didn't see DT as a glaring need and he is a very good teamers and punt returner.  As it turns out, they went with their board and it all will work out well!

As I posted before Dejean dropping had nothing to do with the player he is. A fractured Fibula is one of the worst injuries to suffer as a movement athlete. Peters probably loved Dejean before the injury. The eagles medical staff was comfortable with taking him and maybe Washingtons was not. Look at Tony Pollard last year as an example. 

5 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Strength issues for me. That was pretty easy to see from my perspective and why I was not very high on him.

So you felt Suamataia had strength issues? I know he needed work on his run blocking but I never saw him as week. He has all the tools, he is #3 on Feldman's freak list

So much will play out this year and a lot will obviously change, but I think this draft was a really great step toward rebuilding the roster. While much of our FA class was on short-term deals, we'll have tons of cap money to spend next year as well as a result, which will allow us to get aggressive to fill major holes.

I think going into the 2025 draft cycle (LOL I know) - we are well positioned to attack OT, LB, DE and CB in the next round of youthful talent infusion. I would expect our first rounder next year would be earmarked for an OT as much as possible. 

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

So you felt Suamataia had strength issues? I know he needed work on his run blocking but I never saw him as week. He has all the tools, he is #3 on Feldman's freak list

Yeah, there were some reps at the SB where I really started questioning his strength. That's just my perspective though. I could be way off the mark though - not the first time :)

• Like 2

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

Yeah, there were some reps at the SB where I really started questioning his strength. That's just my perspective though. I could be way off the mark though - not the first time :)

Oh everyone sees and evaluates differently. You could very well have seen things and perhaps others did and dinged him for it as well.

21 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Per the chart Maske gave Commanders an overall B minus grade.  Maske has worked for the Wash Post covering the NFL for a long long time.

I think as fans we can't get too positive or too negative with this new regime.  Most writers believe it will take two years to get the right players on this roster

to be competitive again.  Unless we catch lightning in a bottle.....you never know.

Two full offseasons, competitive hopefully by year 3, maybe a 6-8 win team by year 2. If everything works. I know I'm negative, but negative has been correct most of the last six or seven seasons, and Vegas agrees with me, I believe they have us either 26th or 25th best in terms of O/Under wins. I have us around 27th as I mentioned earlier, I'm a little more negative than Vegas, seeing a floor of 4 wins, a ceiling of 7 and an expectation of 5.5 to 6. 

We had to replace what, 5 or 6 of 8 OL's, our WR's are either exiting their prime in McLaurin's case or coming back from a disappointing sophomore campaign in Dotson's, our TE room is comically bad (hence Sinnott), our RB room are a collection of JAG's athletically and a gifted player that's two years past the RB age cliff, our DL lacks any edge talent to speak of, our LB corpse did get some nice pieces this offseason, but came into FA w/mostly ----, the DB's have had a lot of draft capital invested to little effect....ST's is a good punter and nothing else. It was a ghastly roster, it's still a bad one. We lack depth, and talent. We added some this weekend, and a few guys that will move the needle in FA. 

It's certainly a negative perspective, but to me, we really earned that 4-13 record, not just by having a disengaged coach and quitting team but really by taking next to nothing of quality out of the past five or six drafts. This really is a build it up through scratch build. Consider it this way, how many of our guys are guys other teams would genuinely want to acquire to significantly improve at any given positional group? Who would other average or good or better teams want? You can point to a Punter, since departed Curl, Jonathan Allen, DaRon Payne, Cosmi, Brian Robinson, Terry McLaurin and our punter. That is it and among those guys there are really only 3-4 guys beyond the punter that are viewed as top 70th percentile or thereabouts at their position. We lack any kind of top end talent largely to speak of, and what we have (Allen, Payne, Cosmi McLaurin) are all over age, save Cosmi. 

It's dire.

No top end talent (guys that would make say an NFL top 100)

Little if any top 75th percentile talent.

Little depth. 

Few Starters you'd give a next contract too.

That's why I see us as really horrible, the situation is right in the very roots of the org. We are right there with Carolina, Tennessee, Denver, Oakland, and New England etc. It's quite bad.

The good news is we added a couple legit plus guys in FA, and our draft haul included probably a good 2-3 guys that could end up plus, and another 2 or 3 that could be league average starters with some breaks. That's progress, but it's still a gazillion miles away from a competitive team. Which is why I want us to suck next year, but have promising developments with the kiddos. We need another 2 offseasons to fix this to the point that there's any chance of this team becoming legit competitive consistently and not a 1 off type like the '99, '05, '07, '12, '15 and '20 squads (and the '20 squad was trash). I'm hoping for 4-5 wins, hopefully no more than 6. That will help. That and Daniels being the hit the FO and the league thinks he is, and not the injury riddled disaster I fear he might be. 

Edited by The Consigliere

19 hours ago, RWJ said:

From all of our draft picks, 6 of them were team captains! 

We did that a couple years ago and it meant ---- all. I want great NFL players, the Captain piece is a nice addition if they are legit difference makers, if not, who cares. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, klwilkins1977 said:

Picking a Tackle in the 2nd round would have been the ultimate reach... even for Cerrato

very-long-arm-reaching-something-260nw-1525261130.jpg

I'd argue that we were clearly right to pass on 36 and 40 as the next tier of Tackles after the ones that went 5-26 (and at dallas's pick, 29) as none went in the 2nd round until 55, a good half round after our first second rounder. I think the question going forward will be how the guys pan out from that group of:

Paul

Fisher

Rosegarten

Suamataia

Coleman

Wallace

Ameg

Basically there was a minor 2nd run at tackle: the first run went 5-29, the second went 55-79, we took I think the 5th of 7 or 8 to go. If Coleman hits, it doesn't matter that we waited until round 3 because we pulled our guy from the same tier, and unlike some of those guys, our guy can play Guard and Tackle, which is almost certainly why we took him: positional versatility. If he misses, and the guys so many of us liked like Pau and Sua, become painful misses. We'll see. 

• Thumb up 1

What percentage of NFL draft picks were team captains?

The bigger programs with 5-10 draft picks every year probably a smaller ratio but I gotta imagine most teams best players are also their captains. Feels like a variable where I’d be more surprised if they weren’t team captains. 

I dont think the team captain thing was by design. Maybe it was and Im missing the boat entirely like I did with the QB pick, but I'd venture a guess that it was mostly luck that these players happened to be captains, not picked BECAUSE they were/are. Maybe someone asked GMAP in the multitude of pressers over the past few days and I simply missed it. Does anyone have audio of that specific question being asked and answered?

This draft felt very "analytics/athletics" driven to me. Fast violent guys that raise the floor of the roster.

I know alot has been made about the left tackle thing, but I'm not worried... yet. I have to assume next years top 10-15 pick will be used on the best left tackle available unless Lucas raises his level of play far beyond people think he is right now. Who knows, maybe Peters fleeced the entire league and Coleman should have been drafted in the first round lol.

Either way the future looks bright in Washington, we finally have football people running the process and that in itself is a huge win for many fans. 

Let the fun begin. Ready to see how this group puts it all together on the field.

Is it July yet?

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think you are probably right, however the passing over of DeJean at #40 because we were clearly focused on Sainristil make me slightly question that logic.

You have to assume we didn’t have a first round grade on DeJean, or had other concerns. I know we got good trade value, but imagine if we hadn’t got Sainristil at #50 once that CB run started.

Are we even sure we were picking DeJean at 40? Like everyone else, I had either DeJean or Kool Aid as my preferred target at 36 and 40, not even thinking about the DT (though I love that selection) but why are we so sure, at all, that if we'd stuck at slot, we'd take DeJean. Unless there's a quote, that's really just wishcasting. We hope we would've been smart enough to value him as the best guy w/o a trade down but history suggests the pick would have been off everyone's board, just like 36 was. 

As we got later in the draft, Peters took bets on highly athletic, raw prospects with the right attitude who need time & coaching to grow into effective players. That's a good strategy for rounds 4-7 & UDFA, and it's probably why he has hit on some great guys in those rounds in the past. Not everyone will pan out, of course, but we should look to the RAS scores in future years to guess who might be near the top of the board in the later rounds.

Early rounds are a bigger mix of BPA, need, and being pro-ready. Once you get to Day 3, there's no real reason to factor in need bc the guys probably aren't ready to start in Year 1, anyway.