Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

So with Hampton, I'm reading a lot about "box safety" and "plays better closer to the line".  Does that mean he's a guy you would sub in for obvious running downs?  Along with the fierce LBs we have? 

Seems to be a trend with fiery tacklers here.  The best QBs you face these days need to be contained.  Is our defense going to run past them in an attempt to get them or...or I'm definitely over thinking, I'm not football smart enough to know these things. 

What I do know is this might as well be an expansion Team at this point.  Exciting to see something new with new, talented guys orchestrating it. I mean we're about to draft one of each position lol, what's left, we grab a kicker?

Man even college players who've never played for Quinn wanna play for him.

This man has the raw magnetism of Leo Decaprio but like for defensive football players.

And unlike Decaprio he doesn't discard them at 25.

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Dirt said:

So with Hampton, I'm reading a lot about "box safety" and "plays better closer to the line".  Does that mean he's a guy you would sub in for obvious running downs?  Along with the fierce LBs we have? 

Seems to be a trend with fiery tacklers here.  The best QBs you face these days need to be contained.  Is our defense going to run past them in an attempt to get them or...or I'm definitely over thinking, I'm not football smart enough to know these things. 

What I do know is this might as well be an expansion Team at this point.  Exciting to see something new with new, talented guys orchestrating it. I mean we're about to draft one of each position lol, what's left, we grab a kicker?

I think we are going to kick the crap out of ball carriers unless we miss the tackle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dirt said:

I like Whitt's ability to teach safeties and CBs coverage.

His PFF score versus the pass and the run is almost identical.  Had 2 picks.  He was actually used more in coverage than he was in the box.  But he's inconsistent in coverage.  I think more of a natural in the box.  But I think he can be coached up as to coverage, he's not a disaster in coverage.  

• Like 2

After Philthy picks at #190 about 13 picks in the 6th., they will be on the phone trying to sign the cream of the crop UDFA's.  Their draft ends after pick #190.  Howie is the best in the biz when it comes to wheeling and dealing and drafting players.  Taking nothing away from Adam Peters as he must grown and learn but he's no where near Howie yet.  Two different planets.  Go AP!  :)  #HTTR

1 minute ago, gooseneck said:

I think we are going to kick the crap out of ball carriers unless we miss the tackle.

The number of missed tackles, the fact that its a discussion is ironically a bit of a complement to Hamption.  He's actually middle of the pack in missed tackle %.  But the raw number is high because his overall tackle number is so high.

If I take 20 shots, I will miss more shots than I will if I take 10 shots, etc. 

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 4.23.02 PM.png

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

After Philthy picks at #190 about 13 picks in the 6th., they will be on the phone trying to sign the cream of the crop UDFA's.  Their draft ends after pick #190.  Howie is the best in the biz when it comes to wheeling and dealing and drafting players.  Taking nothing away from Adam Peters as he must grown and learn but he's no where near Howie yet.  Two different planets.  Go AP!  :)  #HTTR

Ron was awful at it.  But I put some blame, a lot of it on Dan who was cheap.  

Teams who are willing to offer more money have an advantage.

I suspect we will do better at it this time, will see.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Teams who are willing to offer more money have an advantage.

Not necessarily true. Many will sign with a team they think they have best chance to make the roster on. The UDFA money is chump change compared to actually making the squad. 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Not necessarily true. Many will sign with a team they think they have best chance to make the roster on. The UDFA money is chump change compared to actually making the squad. 

Not always true I agree but often it is or at least a tipping point everything being equal. I read an article once on the subject where an agent said money is often key 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Veretax said:

Who other than the Dallas cast off with an injury History was going to be that big of a difference at Left Tackle

People have short memories.  

Oh, so we should do nothing?

Listen, going after a T is going to be a mixed bag in FA. Some are not that good. Some are good, but have age/injury issues. But we have a real problem at both LT and RT. If you don nothing, and expect to go after on in the draft, you don't know what you're going to get. And as it sits, we didn't get anything.

So, I guess your advice is to "do nothing" if there is a issue?

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Listen, going after a T is going to be a mixed bag in FA. Some are not that good. Some are good, but have age/injury issues. But we have a real problem at both LT and RT. If you don nothing, and expect to go after on in the draft, you don't know what you're going to get. And as it sits, we didn't get anything.

Clearly that's not what I was saying.  But when you are starting over with new people, that first year is not going to fix everything.  I don't think any of us thought it would be that hard to get up and grab a tackle.

Most of the simulated mocks I saw, the tackle class had a gab in the 2nd and 3rd round.   So I dunno.  I don't know what their plan is, and I can't focus on it.

Edited by Veretax

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

But they didnt do nothing. They drafted one they like a lot apparently?

• Like 2

Just now, Veretax said:

Clearly that's not what I was saying.  But when you are starting over with new people, that first year is not going to fix everything.  I don't think any of us thought it would be that hard to get up and grab a tackle.

I figured there was going to be a big run on them, but it's also drafting for "need". Not what you want to be doing in the first place. We knew we were going QB with #2, and it was going to tough to get anything outstanding. At least I figured that. The fact is that there were (and are, but it's very thin) some options in FA. We have cap space. Probably should not have waited for the draft to try to find a starting LT (and RT) without going after one with a top pick.

What kinda irks me is that in FA AND the draft, it's been defense. But we drafted QB at 2, and didn't do a ton to help him. Honestly, if we're not going to try to help the QB (and instead get him killed) build the D, and then we you decide to go QB, make sure you really help him. We didn't.

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not always true I agree but often it is or at least a tipping point everything being equal. I read an article once on the subject where an agent said money is often key 

Seeing Hampton make comments about wanting to go to washington is sure nice to see though.  They have a great coaching contingent that can divide and conquer the phone lines.  Hopefully we see a few worthy players.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

But they didnt do nothing. They drafted one they like a lot apparently?

At BEST, hes might be a starting OT in a few years. But he's most likey a G.

And he's not 2 people, and we need starters at LT and RT. If he does not start every game at T, , and plays well, then you have done nothing to help your rookie QB.

And I don't think this happens.

And you still need another T

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Oh ****. The Pats took Joe Milton. 

Anyone concerned that they are going to make Maye nervous?

I'm not, but mostly because I've watched Joe Milton play.

He might give Maye some trouble in a "who can throw it through the uprights from furthest away" competition, though.

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I'm not, but mostly because I've watched Joe Milton play.

He might give Maye some trouble in a "who can throw it through the uprights from furthest away" competition, though.

I was being facetious. Got in a kerfuffle a few pages back because I suggested we take Rattler (or Pratt) so we can get rid of Mariota ASAP and have the backup on a rookie deal.