Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

10 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Apparently he was 5th in tackles in the Pac 12. The more opportunities you have the more times you may miss one.

His best performances were in the big games. He had 10 tackles and played well in coverage against USC. He’s one of the big reasons that is how Caleb ended the Washington game running to mom and crying:

IMG_1951.gif.efdd07931b895fc86a234a294efb4b71.gif

• Haha 10
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think I would take Milton if we are going to take another one. Has all the tools. Needs years of coaching to get it out of him imo. 

I hope we go UDFA but that's just me.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I noticed that alien/freak OT you took in the 7th went in the 3rd or 4th. Nice job.

Thanks, that was a pretty lucky pull by me, I’d only first even heard of him like two days earlier 😂

Detroit makes perfect sense for him, though. They love size and physicality. Can see them using him as an eligible 3rd OT, just a gargantuan heat-seeking missile aimed at some pesky WILL linebacker or box safety. 

• Like 1

Different type of safety from Butler stylstically.

His strength IMO is to be a box safety but Washington used him everywhere.  Post safety-in the slot everywhere.

Even though he has the athleticism to play everywhere, he's much better suited IMO to play the box.  

Similar drill last year when I was trying to sell to some here Quan Martin.  Quan was burned as an outside corner so he got hammered by some for it. But my point was forget that.  Don't play him there.  Play him at FS and or the slot.  And that's what they did.

I'd guess the same for Hampton, I doubt they use him as a post safety or the slot.  Use him as tone setter in the box.   Jeremy Chinn style.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I hate to say it but Philthy is crushing the draft today.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His strength IMO is to be a box safety but Washington used him everywhere.  Post safety-in the slot everywhere.

Even though he has the athleticism to play everywhere, he's much better suited IMO to play the box.  

Similar drill last year when I was trying to sell to some here Quan Martin.  Quan was burned as an outside corner. So forget that.  Don't play him there.  Play him at FS and or the slot.  And that's what they did.

I'd guess the same for Hampton, I doubt they use him as a post safety.  Use him as tone setter in the box.   Jeremy Chinn style.

Jeremy Chinn 2.0 taken in the 5th!  :)  

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Similar drill last year when I was trying to sell to some here Quan Martin.  Quan was burned as an outside corner. So forget that.  Don't play him there.  Play him at FS and or the slot.  And that's what they did.

I'd guess the same for Hampton, I doubt they use him as a post safety.  Use him as tone setter in the box.   Jeremy Chinn style.

This is a very reasoned take. 

From the little I’ve been able to watch so far, his major flaw is that he doesn’t manage space well. Which is a huge flaw for a post safety, probably a fatal one. He gets sucked up by playaction and crossers, and they throw it behind him. He gets sucked into the middle field and they’re bouncing runs outside on him. He’s coming in red-hot downhill and runs past the play. 

If you minimize the amount of space he has to be accountable for, maybe you can limit the mistakes.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I hate to say it but Philthy is crushing the draft today.

Depending on Dejean injury report I really only like the Mitchell pick and Keegan. Always thought Shipley was the most overrated player in college football and the second best running back on his team. He won’t be able to protect the QB in NFL.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sinews said:

Considering how historically bad the defense was last year, I can see it. Will be unrecognizable come Sept, as it should, with competition at every position. 

This.

Our defense was in many statistical categories the worst in this near century old franchise's history.

So no, drafting this many defensive players doesn't shock me at all.  We have a defenive minded head coach, they on a mission to make sure that doesn't happen again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Just saw a stat that Dallas has drafted 15 Pro Bowlers in the past 10 years. Crazy. 

A big part of that is fan voting and general coverage of the team. They always have a disproportionate level of media coverage and fan base. The pro bowl is somewhat a popularity contest.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is a very reasoned take. 

From the little I’ve been able to watch so far, his major flaw is that he doesn’t manage space well. Which is a huge flaw for a post safety, probably a fatal one. He gets sucked up by playaction and crossers, and they throw it behind him. He gets sucked into the middle field and they’re bouncing runs outside on him. He’s coming in red-hot downhill and runs past the play. 

If you minimize the amount of space he has to be accountable for, maybe you can limit the mistakes.

Don't get me wrong its the late 5th so that's context for me.  We aren't get Ed Reed in that range.  :ols:

But I liked what I saw when he played near the box.  Not as hard hitting as lets say Chinn was in college but has some moments.  But he flies to the ball, finds his way to the action.  Around the ball.

tough to led this safety class in tackles by a margin like that without being around the ball.

Has a bit of a mean streak too, as to penalties, saw in one game go at one player after the whistle.

He seems to fit what Quinn tries to sell which is players who bring a tone-fire to their game and fly to the ball.

In coverage, I think he's OK, not awful, not good.  But so so.  He has plenty of range and speed.  But gets beat but i like how he flies in the backfield.  His PFF coverage grade is actually decent.  But in the pros I see him as an in the box type.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Really thought we'd do more trading back. Well I guess they thought value was too good to pass up.

9 rookies is a pretty good amount to try to add to your roster. Really didnt need anymore picks this year. I am kind of shocked they didnt trade away one for picks next year though. They could have traded one of those 3rd rounders for a 2nd next year. Would have made the Howell trade even more valuable. 

• Like 1

We’re now at the point in the draft where all the sights are saying things like “they got great value because they got this player at 159 and they were 120 on our big board.

Or the opposite: this team reached for player X, they picked them at 67, and they were 154 on our big board and player 14 in our list of players for that position.

And every time, I think: what makes your big board “right” and the measure of value?  What’s your saying is your evaluation differed from eother a team (in the case the player went sooner than expected) or all the teams (in the case the player went later than expected.) 

What makes you right?  And what makes a guy who you had in the third round a value because he lasted until the 5th?  Maybe you screwed up the eval?  

And a step further, all the draftnik idiots will come out with grades in the next day or so.  How do they make the grades?  Based on the relation to their big boards and what they thought should happen.  

And if you got a guy later than they expected, they’ll give you a kudos for getting a guy later who “shouldn’t have been there.”

Thor Nystrom actually downgraded the pick of (I think it was) Brian Robinson because he had Robinson lower on his board and the player who he would have graded higher if we had taken in the 3rd? Sam Howell.  Who we got in the 5th. 

So, when you see all this “reach” and “value” poop, just know it’s all bologna.  

/rant.  And Thor Nystrom can blow it out his incompetent ass.  When he says McCarthy went too low remember he thought the NFL messed up big time by not selecting Malik Willis in the first round.  Paraphrased: “I’m sure the NFL got it wrong.”

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1