Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

1. McConkey

2. Kool-Aid

3. Dejean

4. Paul

You could always add 40 and 100 together to move up ….. and get 2 of those…

Then back out of either 67 or 78 to recover the traded pick.

• Like 5

Id love Mcconkey or Franklin. Would really like Mckinstry or Saumatia. Dejean is interesting too.

So many good players. Were so lucky to have gotten the second pick in a QB rich draft and a buncha teams desperately took mediocre prospects in the first to slide talent down.

1 minute ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I think he was 30 games over 500 as a starter.

He also led one of the highest scoring teams in NFL history, the highest of the pre-2000 era when the league didn't slant so heavily toward offense. (and came within a very makeable FG of the Superbowl)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that’s me off to a bloody family commitment for the next day or so.

Here’s hoping day 2 drops us some great picks. Maybe even an outrageous trade for Aiyuk involving 2025 picks only. One can dream.

Have fun….

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I would not be able to ignore DeJean at 36. He is my automatic pick

Not automatic for me but I'd be jazzed for him.

Quinn likes having chess pieces.  That dude could be that including returning kicks.  but wonder about him playing outsider corner in a man scheme.  He feels more zone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not automatic for me but I'd be jazzed for him.

Quinn likes having chess pieces.  That dude could be that including returning kicks.  but wonder about him playing outsider corner in a man scheme.  He feels more zone.

I am a big fan of his style and versatility. He must have dropped due to medical but to me is the best value and bang for their buck right not in a BPA. he would be better not playing outside on a regular basis but is good all over.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Also... Watching Belichick's thoughts on Daniels reinforced some of my concerns with Daniels. 

Misses open passes, doesn't throw well inside the numbers, takes big hits.

Which I am hopeful can be fixed with coaching as long as he does the thing that unlocks everything else: Stay healthy and protect himself. If he's available to practice, he's going to get much better.

The biggest question for me is about speeding up his decision making and getting the ball out faster.  Everyone misses throws.  Mahomes dirts a bunch of ugly passes every game.  What matters is making big plays and keeping you team alive even when you're not sharp that day.  But being late on throws is a chronic issue for Jayden that can lead to a dysfunctional passing game, and I don't think evaluators really acknowledged how long he stood in clean pockets waiting to throw last year, and how playing like that doesn't translate to the NFL.  He is going to have to play with so much more urgency and decisiveness in the NFL.  Especially behind a lower tier pass pro line.  My fear is that it's deeply ingrained habit for him, because he was even late on throws at his Pro Day throwing session.

He's also got to get a lot better at playmaking under pressure.  He has to be able to deal with free rushers because we don't have the weapons to keep seven in coverage, and our OLs lose.  We aren't going to be able to build a wall in front of him next year, here are going to be a lot of bad pockets, and he can't become a 1-2 run QB.

• Like 2

Just now, Going Commando said:

The biggest question for me is about speeding up his decision making and getting the ball out faster.  Everyone misses throws.  Mahomes dirts a bunch of ugly passes every game.  What matters is making big plays and keeping you team alive even when you're not sharp that day.  But being late on throws is a chronic issue for Jayden that can lead to a dysfunctional passing game, and I don't think evaluators really acknowledged how long he stood in clean pockets waiting to throw last year, and how playing like that doesn't translate to the NFL.  He is going to have to play with so much more urgency and decisiveness in the NFL.  Especially behind a lower tier pass pro line.  My fear is that it's deeply ingrained habit for him, because he was even late on throws at his Pro Day throwing session.

He's also got to get a lot better at playmaking under pressure.  He has to be able to deal with free rushers because we don't have the weapons to keep seven in coverage, and our OLs lose.  We aren't going to be able to build a wall in front of him next year, here are going to be a lot of bad pockets, and he can't become a 1-2 run QB.

I think he'll be okay with going through reads. My issue is, will he be willing to attempt anticipatory throws into tight windows down the middle? That's where bread is buttered in the NFL. 3rd and 9, 4th quarter, down 4, will he hit McLaurin in stride for a big 15 yarder to keep a game winning drive alive? Say what you will about Howell but he could make that throw at the very least.

I have no doubts about his ability to hit the sidelines or deep shots downfield. But those tough throws down the middle is my concern with him. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think he'll be okay with going through reads. My issue is, will he be willing to attempt anticipatory throws into tight windows down the middle? That's where bread is buttered in the NFL. 3rd and 9, 4th quarter, down 4, will he hit McLaurin in stride for a big 15 yarder to keep a game winning drive alive? Say what you will about Howell but he could make that throw at the very least.

I have no doubts about his ability to hit the sidelines or deep shots downfield. But those tough throws down the middle is my concern with him. 

Not comparing him to Lamar but I think the plan is to have a lot more 2nd and 4’s to stay on schedule. The Ravens run game has been top 5 every season of his career, even without Greg Roman. You run the ball, you hit short passes and stay on schedule. Probably 3-5 quarterbacks can consistently make the 3rd and 8 passes.

I wouldn’t be upset if they took Corum at 40. I think he’s a quarterbacks best friend in terms of do it all including pass pro.

Edited by OtisDriftwood25

If Jerry offered 56+73 for 40, I'd strongly consider it if he was that enamored with Brooks (even though I like Brooks too).  Getting a relatively early 3rd is an attractive piece.  

• Like 6

I don't see anyone talking about OT.  We don't have a quality OT on this team and we need one.  We didn't trade up to draft one and even through JD has wheels he still needs protection on both sides.  I mentioned early this AM I hope Fisher is the pick at #36 and the best of the rest MIGHT be Kingsley Suamataia or Roger Rosengarten.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Well that’s me off to a bloody family commitment for the next day or so.

Here’s hoping day 2 drops us some great picks. Maybe even an outrageous trade for Aiyuk involving 2025 picks only. One can dream.

Have fun….

I would be absolutely ecstatic to get Aiyuk. Even if it took a 2024 pick! I would be extremely excited to add him to our wr corps.

Just now, RWJ said:

I don't see anyone talking about OT.  We don't have a quality OT on this team and we need one.  We didn't trade up to draft one and even through JD has wheels he still needs protection on both sides.  I mentioned early this AM I hope Fisher is the pick at #36 and the best of the rest MIGHT be Kingsley Suamataia or Roger Rosengarten.

Very true. That's a must.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Don't reach for needs. Plenty of good OT talent will be available in later rounds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If Jerry offered 56+73 for 40, I'd strongly consider it if he was that enamored with Brooks (even though I like Brooks too).  Getting a relatively early 3rd is an attractive piece.  

I think I would have to do that deal unless there's a LT at 40 available that we can plug n play.....

• Like 2

I dunno if Cooper and Ladd will last but man Cooper/Ladd at 36/40 or somewhere in that vicinity would be baller.

How many WRs can we realistically accommodate?  With Scary and Jahan, we can probably realistically add one more and still have enough throws to make it worth a major investment, unless we're tossing Jahan out.  This is part of why I might pass on Aiyuk, as good as he is, if you get Aiyuk and then you've got a stud like Ladd sitting there, or Mitchell if the FO likes him, now you've got 4 WRs you want to feed the ball, and there's just usually not enough targets to do that.  Terry and Aiyuk would get the lion's share, then you'd want to see if your Jahan pick can pan out in year 3 so that's 3 guys you wanna push towards 1,000 yards.  So the new guy would be outside looking in.

Maybe that's ok, rookies rarely need to go crazy, and if you have someone like Ladd or Mitchell they can sort of sit in that 4th slot for a year or two until Scary Terry potentially ages out (not sure he's gonna age out THAT quickly tho) and still have your top 3 of Aiyuk/Dotson/2nd rounder.

But if you've got a couple years to find a new stud WR to replace Terry because you traded for Aiyuk, then there's just no pressure to go WR this year.

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Day 3 picks?  Who?  

Not that this will allay fears - but I like TCU's Coleman (if he falls to 3rd and Wyoming's Crum as 4th-6th rd picks. It's unlikey you're getting a stud at OT now. Paul, maybe - the rest to me seem like just dudes. If so, take BPA, and wait on OT in the 2nd.

Edited by fwo40
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we're in the part of our team building phase where we want to take on a contract like Aiyuk's. We're better off drafting someone younger and cheaper. Plenty of good WR options at 36 and/or 40.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1