Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 Roster Thread: all cuts, signings, and trades to be discussed here!

CapsSkins

16 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I spent most of mine on booze and women.  The rest I blew.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

George Best quote circa 1969.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In short, he believes they want to see what Coleman can do in camp.  But if they have concerns at LT, watch out for DJ Humphries if he's healthy -- but likely it would be a late summer signing or early season one. 

I would actually be against this move. No chance he can really prove his fitness/health. Seem like that would be an expensive gamble.

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I would actually be against this move. No chance he can really prove his fitness/health. Seem like that would be an expensive gamble.

His point would they would only do it if:

A.  Coleman doesn't look the part in camp

B.  Humphries recovers.  Healthy

It wouldn't be them signing him now and they keep their fingers crossed that he heals from his ACL tear

The Washington Commanders led the NFL in salary cap space heading into free agency in March. Washington, with plenty of holes to fill, was busy, signing over 20 external free agents and retaining some of its own.

Remarkably, the Commanders exited March’s busy free-agency period with over $40 million remaining in cap space.

Now we’ve entered the next phase of the offseason: Post-June 1 cuts, which many teams use to save money on the salary cap over two years. If teams cut players before June 1 and do not use the post-June 1 designation, all the salary cap hit counts on the current year.

Several teams used the post-June 1 designation this year. Washington, which released longtime veterans Charles Leno Jr. and Logan Thomas, did not. The Commanders have used the designation in the past to cut bad contracts, such as Landon Collins most recently.

We now have an updated look at what each team has remaining in cap space, according to Over the Cap. Washington is in excellent shape, with $43.4 million remaining in cap space for 2024 — second only to the New England Patriots ($46.4 million).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2024 at 11:05 AM, Jumbo said:

Sacks n stuff just bought a week off for violating the directives in the sticky thread at top of the forum (and the dozens of warnings given in here for months).

I know that had to be hard for you but it was a smart move. Sends a message.

”If the mods would suspend their favorite, then truly no one is above the law.”

• Haha 8
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I know that had to be hard for you but it was a smart move. Sends a message.

”If the mods would suspend their favorite, then truly no one is above the law.”

I haven't slept a wink since it happened. Now I can once again enjoy the spring sunshine in my face and the birds singing. ❤️

• Haha 10

• CapsSkins changed the title to Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd, Ahmed
1 hour ago, RWJ said:

What a joke unless they sign someone else.  LOL

They absolutely will, just physically need a body for practice at this point.  Active UFL kickers not available until their season is over, hence this signing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

They absolutely will, just physically need a body for practice at this point.  Active UFL kickers not available until their season is over, hence this signing.

Kickers get cut all the time. Good options will be available during/after camp.

• Like 2

I hope we take a look at this guy.

This kick seems impossible. 

60 yards out and it hit the net ten feet above the crossbar.

that kick would have been good from 80 and that's not hyperbole, that was the longest I've ever seen a field goal kicked and second is not even close.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

At first I was underwhelmed to the point I was begining to wonder if the ghost of Vinnie Cerrato had taken possesion of AP and made the call, but apparently the best prospects are playing in the UFL league and can't be signed before the end of the season unless released.

With that in mind rest easy, this is a "for today only" type OTA  move, with possible longshot upside to make the team.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone by the beginning of camp and replaced by one or two UFL kickers.

XXXXX

Commanders agree to terms with K Ramiz Ahmed

By

Charean Williams

Published June 4, 2024 02:24 PM

The Commanders needed a kicker after cutting Brandon McManus on Sunday. They are signing former UFL kicker Ramiz Ahmed on Tuesday, Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post reports.

Ahmed spent part of the 2024 spring season with the Birmingham Stallions after Chris Blewitt was injured. Ahmed went 10-for-13, including 4-for-7 from beyond 40 yards. He holds the record for the longest field goal in USFL history with a 61-yarder after playing for both the Pittsburgh Maulers and New Jersey Generals.

He has never attempted an NFL field goal or PAT but did handle kickoffs in one game for the Packers.

Ahmed went undrafted out of Nevada in 2020, signing with the Bears.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

At first I was underwhelmed to the point I was begining to wonder if the ghost of Vinnie Cerrato had taken possesion of AP and made the call, but apparently the best prospects are playing in the USFL league and can't be signed before the end of the season unless released.

With that in mind rest easy, this is a "for today only" type OTA  move, with possible longshot upside to make the team.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone by the beginning of camp and replaced by one or two USFL kickers.

XXXXX

Commanders agree to terms with K Ramiz Ahmed

By

Charean Williams

Published June 4, 2024 02:24 PM

The Commanders needed a kicker after cutting Brandon McManus on Sunday. They are signing former UFL kicker Ramiz Ahmed on Tuesday, Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post reports.

Ahmed spent part of the 2024 spring season with the Birmingham Stallions after Chris Blewitt was injured. Ahmed went 10-for-13, including 4-for-7 from beyond 40 yards. He holds the record for the longest field goal in USFL history with a 61-yarder after playing for both the Pittsburgh Maulers and New Jersey Generals.

He has never attempted an NFL field goal or PAT but did handle kickoffs in one game for the Packers.

Ahmed went undrafted out of Nevada in 2020, signing with the Bears.

61 is the record? Didnt Bates hit one from 62 and one from 64?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Time for a lowball offer to the 49ers for Aiyuk.

Don't think a lowball offer gets him, but it's certainly a time tested strategy to test the waters by begining low.

XXXXXX

SANTA CLARA — The 49ers opened their mandatory minicamp on Tuesday without wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk, who remains away from the team while seeking a long-term contract.

Aiyuk is under contract to the 49ers with a scheduled salary of $14.124 million for the upcoming season. But he is looking to cash in on the exploding wide receiver market with a contract extension that pays him among the top players in the game.

Currently, 25 receivers in the game make more than $20 million per season, led by Minnesota’s Justin Jefferson, who signed an extension worth $35 million annually on Monday.

Stay in the game with the latest updates on your beloved Bay Area and California sports teams! Sign up here for our All Access Daily newsletter.

Aiyuk has not taken part in the voluntary portion of the 49ers' offseason program. Now, he is subject to fines totaling $104,259 for skipping the three-day mandatory minicamp, as outlined in the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement. 

Aiyuk, 26, is coming off a season in which he was selected as a second-team Associated Press All-Pro. He caught 75 passes for a career-best 1,342 yards and seven touchdowns.

He entered the NFL in 2020 as a first-round draft pick from Arizona State. In 62 regular-season games over his first four seasons, Aiyuk has 269 catches for 3,931 yards and 25 touchdowns.

The 49ers picked up the fifth-year option on Aiyuk to retain him for another year beyond the initial four-year, $12.5 million deal he signed as the No. 25 overall selection.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

61 is the record? Didnt Bates hit one from 62 and one from 64?

Good eye!

Thanks to you, I just edited my original post because I realized that the USFL is not the current name of the Summer football league-- it's the UFL that's currently playing.

Bates hit kicks for the UFL this season of 62 and 64 yards.

Ahmed apparently hit his 61 yarder for the USFL, which is a record in that, now defunct, league.

Sorry for the unintentional confusion.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye