Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help with crabs - resolved

There's your submission for the taken out of context thread.  

Mom is having surgery for the most old timey thing ever, bunions, and my pop's birthday is coming up.  She be off her feet for a while and pops is clueless in the kitchen. 

Crab cakes have been requested for a meal next weekend.  Figured you locals might recommend a source for shipped either ready made cakes or lump meat... in which case maybe someone can point me towards a recipe for proper crab cakes.  I like to cook so Im up for the challenge of making them from scratch.  Unless it's a complete waste of time.

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Aheight den, went with G&M on @TheGreatBuzz's recommendation.  Pricey but I'm sure it will be worth it. 

Last time I had really good crab cakes was a conference in Bmore back in 03 at the Lexington (I think) market.  Anticipation...

Jessie Taylor website broken apparently.

Thanks all

Try this one   https://www.jessietaylorseafooddc.com/

Also, you can't go wrong with G&M. Awesome crabcakes & soups, too.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Aheight den, went with G&M on @TheGreatBuzz's recommendation.  Pricey but I'm sure it will be worth it. 

Last time I had really good crab cakes was a conference in Bmore back in 03 at the Lexington (I think) market.  Anticipation...

Jessie Taylor website broken apparently.

Thanks all

They used to be some of the best around....then they went downhill for a few years....but now they've upped their game again.    I sent some to Mom for Christmas and she loved 'em.    My only complaint is that the shipping is insane.

You will love 'em!

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

They used to be some of the best around....then they went downhill for a few years....but now they've upped their game again.    I sent some to Mom for Christmas and she loved 'em.    My only complaint is that the shipping is insane.

You will love 'em!

Shipping was almost as much as the damn crab cakes.  Ah well, downside of living out in the provinces.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, youngestson said:

Know I'm late to the party, but these are as Chesapeake as you're going to find.

And you can follow the cakes up with a slice of Smith Island cake.

https://smithislandstore.com/shop/ols/products/crab-cakes-12-dozen

I just checked the site and the price didn't seem to0 obscene...until I checked the ingredients. 

4 oz Smith Island crab cakes. Made with Deluxe Chesapeake Bay  Crabmeat (Lump, backfin, special, and claw meat). 

Special and claw meat are only suitable for deviled crab...

re: Grocery store crabmeat -- You need to know the crabmeat source. A LOT of canned/plastic container crab is not Chesapeake Bay (or NC/Louisiana) blue crab. It's Asian Blue Swimming Crab (Portunus pelagicus). I had a client in New Hyde Park, NY in the seafood industry & learned a lot about canned/plastic container crabmeat. If you ever had a steak at Morton's with crab topping you're eating Asian Blue Swimming Crab.

image.png.7725bdc025ea9ecca46b60c3593ddd7f.png 

Chesapeake Blue Crab

image.png.582e03504482f0348d44f699860df07c.png

Edit: grammar correction

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

re: Grocery store crabmeat -- You need to know the crabmeat source. A LOT of canned/plastic container crab is not Chesapeake Bay (or NC/Louisiana) blue crab. It's Asian Blue Swimming Crab (Portunus pelagicus). I had a client in New Hyde Park, NY in the seafood industry & learned a lot about canned/plastic container crabmeat. If you ever had a steak at Morton's with crab topping you're eating Asian Blue Swimming Crab.

image.png.7725bdc025ea9ecca46b60c3593ddd7f.png 

Chesapeake Blue Crab

image.png.582e03504482f0348d44f699860df07c.png

Edit: grammar correction

You sure know alot about crabs....