Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  It drives me crazy when dudes like Portis among others would say Dan would spend whatever it takes to win so why do the fans give him a hard time?  Ditto some fans here back in the day like Art would say the same thing.  Even some in the national media through this day would say Dan was a big spender but simply didn't spend it wisely -- 

Thank you.  This really needs to be pointed out because it’s so true.  I lost track of the number of times I criticized the former owner on this site and was shouted down by posters who stupidly repeated over and over that the former owner was a fan who wanted to win and who spent money to do so.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Thank you.  This really needs to be pointed out because it’s so true.  I lost track of the number of times I criticized the former owner on this site and was shouted down by posters who stupidly repeated over and over that the former owner was a fan who wanted to win and who spent money to do so.

Yeah I know some don't believe it.  But I do recall some of Dan's defenders.  lol, they were alive and kicking including on this board.  Granted Bruce had more defenders. But both groups were actualy very feisty in defending them.

It's part of the reason why I was down on Ron last year -- Dan's defenders completely dissapeared except Ron who sung Dan's praises and said the criticism towards Dan was unfair.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I know some don't believe it.  But I do recall some of Dan's defenders.  lol, they were alive and kicking including on this board.  Granted Bruce had more defenders. But both groups were actualy very feisty in defending them.

It's part of the reason why I was down on Ron last year -- Dan's defenders completely dissapeared except Ron who sung Dan's praises and said the criticism towards Dan was unfair.

Right here. I defended Dan for a long time, until the scumbag rapey stuff started happening. 

I also compared it to me owning the team and how badly that would go.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Right here. I defended Dan for a long time, until the scumbag rapey stuff started happening. 

I also compared it to me owning the team and how badly that would go.

lol, you must have bailed on Dan a long time ago because I do recall some defenders but you not among them.

I was criticial for most of the run with Dan with one exception.  I thought he changed during the Shanny era and blamed the fiasco of RG3 on Shanny not Dan -- but boy was I wrong about that :ols: and from that point he never got the benefit of doubt from me again.

• Like 1

I think we all came to the realization that it was hopeless under Snyder at our own pace. For me, when he didn’t hire a legit GM for Gibbs I was worried and by the end of Zorn I had given up. But before that, I was defending him as well. Although I’m not sure “defending“ him was the right word, I think we were all just being fans, clinging to whatever hope we still had. Hope that he could still change, or that he would accidentally stumble into a great QB, or finally decide to hire a qualified GM. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, you must have bailed on Dan a long time ago because I do recall some defenders but you not among them.

I was criticial for most of the run with Dan with one exception.  I thought he changed during the Shanny era and blamed the fiasco of RG3 on Shanny not Dan -- but boy was I wrong about that :ols: and from that point he never got the benefit of doubt from me again.

Yeah, I thought that with Shanny too for about five seconds, but then the McNabb trade happened and it had Snyders fingerprints all over it. And I think we all had hope for a minute with RG, that maybe we had found a QB so good he could overcome the Snyder handicap. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rocky21 said:

Earlier in his reign, when he would bring in lavish free agents--I was distracted by the glitz and glamour, the big names, the flashy deals, the 2nd and 3rd overall pick, etc. etc. etc. What I didn't pay attention to was the penny pinching behind the scenes at the facilities, the stadium, scouting, player development. He would bring in the big names, but the roster would be tissue paper thin.

I think it was maybe 2014 I began to feel we would never be good under Snyder, by 2017, when the botched the Cousins deal, I was sure of it.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Earlier in his reign, when he would bring in lavish free agents--I was distracted by the glitz and glamour, the big names, the flashy deals, the 2nd and 3rd overall pick, etc. etc. etc. What I didn't pay attention to was the penny pinching behind the scenes at the facilities, the stadium, scouting, player development. He would bring in the big names, but the roster would be tissue paper thin.

I think it was maybe 2014 I began to feel we would never be good under Snyder, by 2017, when the botched the Cousins deal, I was sure of it.

It was around 2014 for me as well. All the news coming out about how he was so disliked by other owners that when something went amiss, the other owners went for max punishment instead of some saying "come on, it's not that bad, a slap on the wrist is all we need". That was a, oh crap, Dan Snyder is playing with a deck stacked against him and he's too incompetent or too much of an asshole to figure it out. He kept Bruce Allen around for awhile because Bruce was eligible to be a stand-in for Snyder at some of the owners meetings, and would try to take the blame for him or butter up other owners.

That combined with the constant off the record remarks that players out of college would say the weight room/facilities/etc were worse than what they were just using.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Can't read it. Why is Shen leaving...we just brought him in?

Shen was a catalyst hire.....an assessment hire essentially to profile the Rivera led team and lay the foundation for the future.  The daily guy is going to be Sosna.  Shen will still stay with Harris in his other sporting venues.  

• Like 5

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. Kind of figured Shen wasnt a Peters guy when he hired Sosna.

I think it is more that his role was like Bob Myers but specifically for analytics.  Assess, provide information and guidance on selection of the permanent solution.

• Like 2

Any of you guys that are either in the analytics field or are upper level hob knobbers with inside connections/information care to assess the difference in reputation, style, tone, knowledge, experience and/or effectiveness of Shen vs Sosna?

The reason I ask is because when Shen was originally hired the positive press and accolades we got from the media (fwiw) was universally over the top and extremely positive.

I'm sure the new guy is every bit as competent if not more so, than Shen was, but I'm just a  curious old cuss that doesn't feel right until I've assembled the complete puzzle .🤔 

TIA

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  It drives me crazy when dudes like Portis among others would say Dan would spend whatever it takes to win so why do the fans give him a hard time? 

Yeah, taking financial advice from a guy like Portis isn't a great idea, based on his issues with bankruptcy and such. Guess that explains a lot!

I think I started to question our previous owner in 2000 when he got rid of Brad Johnson for Jeff George. I didn't think that was the right move. Our previous owner was never good at evaluating talent yet still meddled way too much.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

We got rid of Johnson in 2001, and in the 2001 season Tony Banks started almost the entire season. I don't think we ever got rid of anyone for Jeff George, we just added him to the roster.

Kind of....but the previous owner was enamored with Goerge's arm. My point is that the previous owner had his fingerprints all over this team and sucked at it.

Rather than sign with the Vikings, George signed a four-year contract worth $14.8 million with the Washington Redskins as Brad Johnson's backup. Johnson went down in week 9; George replaced him and went 1–2 in the next three games. Johnson returned but played poorly against the New York Giants. George replaced him and started two games, both losses, after Norv Turner was fired in favor of interim coach Terry Robiskie. After the season, Johnson departed Washington for Tampa Bay, leaving George as the Redskins' starter going into 2001.

Before the 2001 season, Washington hired as head coach Marty Schottenheimer, who promised to install a West Coast scheme similar to that of Gruden in Oakland. George clashed with Schottenheimer over the offense, though the coach promised to work George through any problems he might have with the scheme. Washington released George after a 37–0 Monday Night loss to the Green Bay Packers, in which George had a 34.6 passer rating, the worst in the first two weeks of the 2001 season. The Redskins were 0–2, having been outscored 67–3. George was given 24 hours to remove his personal items from the Redskins' facilities before they were discarded. He was replaced by Tony Banks, who led the team to finish the season with an 8–8 record after they had begun with a record of 0–5.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Thanks 1

I think an 18 game schedule is more a matter of when, not if...

As NFLPA braces for 18-game push, plenty of younger players have no problem with it

By

Mike Florio

The NFL has wanted to expand the regular season to 18 games for years. It accepted 17 as a compromise, a stepping stone toward more.

And it’s just a matter of time before the NFL makes its move to move the line between regular-season and preseason games from 17 and three to 18 and two.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL Players Association is already bracing for it. And one of the things the NFLPA has to ponder is whether and to what extent the players want it.

There’s a sense, we’re told, that plenty of young players are fine with it. Their votes count the same as the older players who bristle at adding to the workload.

Although comments from the Commissioner in late April boosted the conversation, the truth is that the issue first returned to the front burner when Browns G.M. Andrew Berry explained on PFT Live from the Scouting Combine that Cleveland had proposed a two-week delay in the trade deadline to account for the 17th regular-season game — and in anticipation of an 18th.

After the chatter first resurfaced in late February, new union president Jaylen Reeves-Maybin didn’t dismiss the possibility when asked about it, saying simply that “when the time comes, we’ll address” it.

The time seems to be coming.

An item posted Thursday morning by Brooke Pryor of ESPN.com gathers quotes from various players as to the possibility of adding another regular-season game. Players like Colts center Ryan Kelly have spoken against it. Steelers safety Damontae Kazee sounds far more pragmatic.

“It can be positive for both sides,” Kazee said. “People look at it as another week to feed your family. . . . I love it.”

More games will mean more money, that’s for sure. The challenge for the NFLPA will be to use it as a springboard for more than an expansion of their fair share.

The basic reality is that the question ultimately would be resolved through a fight that isn’t fair. The owners are willing to shut down football for a full season to get what they want. The players are not. This imbalance ensures that, when push comes to shove, the union will cry uncle.

The question becomes whether the league can get the union to accept the inevitable before the expiration of the current CBA, in 2030. What can the league offer the players to get them on board? Will the league do what the union wants?

Ideally, the league would implement an 18th game as of 2030, since that will be the first year of the next broadcast contracts. If/when (when) the league pulls the plug early on the existing TV deals, it will have another 16 regular-season games to offer in the next wave of billion-dollar arrangements.

So, yes, it’s coming. And, yes, plenty of players will welcome the extra game check.

Sixteen games was perfect, and going beyond that doesn't make the game better for fans or for players. The 18th game will essentially just be another preseason game that counts in the standings.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, profusion said:

Sixteen games was perfect, and going beyond that doesn't make the game better for fans or for players. The 18th game will essentially just be another preseason game that counts in the standings.

Season ticket holders were paying full price for preseason games anyways, so you could argue in that regard it’s an improvement for them. In terms of player health and performance, no, probably not an upgrade to the game—it’s possible a second bye week, if they’ll schedule one with 18 games, could improve things though. 

• Like 1