Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

18 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Just to be clear - as it seems it may not be - I was in no way suggesting the team trade for Caleb WIlliams. I was simply listing options the team had and that Doug gave no indications of that direction. 

I will add that Chicago can want what ever. But getting someone to pay it is another thing all together. They can't trade past #3 NE if they want MH JR. AZ will run to the podium (easy now you literalists - I mean it figuratively) and put in thier pick at 4 for MH JR.  Both Washington and NE have new HCs and GMs. (I am about to agree with you here) Do either one want to start thier regime off mortgaging the next few drafts top capitol on this one player? And one that has ????s. 

The ultimate question is, is Caleb WIlliams a kings ransom better than Maye or Daniels? I do not think so at all. In fact I kind of like both better than WIlliams. And all this is assuming that Kliff K wants Caleb. He might be glad the brat is gone 🙂  He may be in love with Maye or Daniels. 

I can't wait for the draft like always. It's Xmas in April!  But even more important this year for obvious reasons. 

The ultimate question is, is Caleb WIlliams a kings ransom better than Maye or Daniels?

Well said, GS10, I think that's the first big question that primarily Peters and Quinn possibly in consultation with Harris, Kingsburry and a few other key scouts/coaches must decide.

The thing to remember is that this is a marathon and we have not even passed the first mile marker.

No one knows what we're going to do or even what we want to do including Harris, Peters and Quinn.

Another critical question that is yet be unanswered is: After analyzing all the data where do we rank the top players (not just the top qbs) for our specific team?

It's not a foregone conclusion, that we will end up viewing Caleb Williams as the top player or even the top qb in the draft-- and more importantly at this stage it shouldn't be.

Full stop.

Who knows, before this is done, Drake Maye, or Jayden Daniels, or MHJ, or perhaps even some surprise player, who's had a meteoric rise up the charts, could well become the true apple of our brain trust's collective eye.

As a front office (and indirectly as a forum) we need to be flexible enough, open enough, and most of all-- fearless enough to trust our decision makers evaluations, wherever they lead.

The next 74 days will be the most consequantial period in the modern history of the Washington football team.

It will be a true test of our front office's ability to work collaboratively and effectively to make the best decisions possible.

Adam Peters, apparently, has the final say on the draft (perhaps with a veto by Harris and/or Quinn that  would be used only in extremus). But it shouldn't come down to that. 

This front office, according to the rhetoric we were fed, is not going to be a one man operation and it mustn't be. Just doesn't work in today's game.

When it comes to the specific question of which rookie qb to go after-- I fully expect Peters to take into account the opinions of everyone on the staff both scouts AND coaches,  but especially a few key decision makers---primarily Quinn, and Kingsburry, for sure, perhaps Pritchard and of course his long time confidante and right hand man in the front office, Martin Mayhew.

Note: (The degree to which principle owner  Josh Harris would be involved in the decision is unclear but can not be ruled out, even if it's limited to him sitting in on a few interviews).

The bottom line is we're a long way before a final decision, a very long way.

There will be many twists and turns along the way-- some will be real and some will be feigned or misdirection designed to obscure out true intentions or leanings.

The days of smoke screens and fake stories are upon us.

Fans (like us) can afford to make up our minds on who we want in January or February, but football executives that do this for a living risk making poor decisions or succumbing to group think -- with often disastrous results.

A recent cautionary example are  the reports that once Tepper made up his mind to select Bryce Young,  who was touted all season by tv analysts as a sure thing, he never reconsidered.

Even when dissenting voices, both inside and outside the organization tried to sway him he held steadfast and his position remained adamantine.

Firtunately, the one man, one vote, one decision for all, concept of decision makingp is not going to happen here. Our result will come collaboratively.

We will have a thorough, deliberate, process.

The first step is a careful evaluation of the top 3 qbs , MHJ, and any other player with a chance of going in the top 5.

THIS PROCESS HAS, AT BEST, ONLY BEGUN AND WHILE WE MAY HAVE LEANINGS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER THE TEAM HAS MOST CERTAINLY NOT MADE A DECISION ON WHO THEY WANT TO DRAFT.

Theirs so much more to be done before anyone can make an informed final decision:

1. Up until now the scouts have been on this full time all season now the coaches will get involved and give their analysis, which is critical.

2. Pouring over every single game tape of each candidate.

3. ***The Combine:

--First face to face interviews with players

--Physical measurements 

--***Quietly Observe interactions between players:

(who's a natural leader or natural follower? General attitude, energy level, enthusiasm,  who is likeable, who do other players avoid, who doesn't seem to want to be there, who's always cutting it up, who's always serious and focused, who helps other players etc. etc.)

-- Performance in drills and tests, 

-- ability to follow instructions

-- does he ask questions (Are they "dumb" questions. And don't fall for the falsehood that there is no such thing as a dumb questions. That may be true in Calculus 101 but not in an interview and the combine is basically a 24/7 interview session. In my lifetime I've probably interviewed over a thousand people and yes-- I actually disqualified candidates for I'll be polite and call it  "ill advised" questions.)

-- Medical reports and physical exams 

-- Psychological tests

4.-- Observing

5. Private investigators will be contracted to do the equivalent of a detailed proctology exam on every aspect of our top candidates.

And so on...

AUTHOR COMMENTS

My apologies fir such a long post.

I'm ending this abruptly here and now because I just got carried away and instead of just making a few points I wrote an epistle on of all days Super Bowl Sunday.

Who the hell is gonna even bother to read it, but I put too much into it to just delete it.

So I'm sending it off anyway, as is.

--sigh--

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

It's officially bluffing season my friends. They're not even doing full evaluations on the draft until this upcoming week so how the **** would Adam know if we're inclined to move up or not?

Not saying we will, but there's not a soul outside of the building who knows what we are going to do at this point. 

Agreed. There probably isn't anyone INSIDE the building, who knows what we are gonna do either. Too early in this massive process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

There will be many twists and turns along the way-- some will be real and some will be feigned or misdirection designed to obscure out true intentions or leanings.

There's just something weird about me.  I see comments like this and it just makes me hope so hard that the picks are Williams, Maye, Daniels, Harrison in that order.  No shock, no mystery, no games

• Like 1

If this were a one QB class like 2011 with Cam Newton and nobody else than yeah, going up from 2 to 1 would be worth a haul. But its not. There is not much difference between Williams and Maye/Daniels. You sit at 2 and take another really really good prospect and build from there.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I think it's ridiculous how everyone says it will take a kings ransom to go up one spot. Everyone saying it will take 45 first round picks, 5 elite players, and 15 second rounders. It's absurd. If that's how Chicago feels then they can shove it where the sun don't shine. I could understand this IF we were talking them falling from #1 to #28. Then absolutely, should be a kings ransom. However they would STILL be getting a terrific #2 pick if they traded with us. Barelyyyyyy different than #1. Just a tiny one spot down. I just think that it's preposterous that dropping dozens of spots down and one spot down has zero difference. Both kings ransom. The difference should be humongous. Those two things are not equal or similar AT ALL. It should be a much, much, MUCH lighter of a return to drop to #2. Like poor them, they are gonna get MHJ or a different stud QB. Poor destitute fellers desperately deserve a massive return of first rounders  🙄

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

If this were a one QB class like 2011 with Cam Newton and nobody else than yeah, going up from 2 to 1 would be worth a haul. But its not. There is not much difference between Williams and Maye/Daniels. You sit at 2 and take another really really good prospect and build from there.

That’s a joke right ? If it was that close, the Bears would screw us over and take Maye or Daniels………..

oh and the thought of a really good prospect, love that. Really good ?

I sure hope we don't give up a ton of pics to move up. I don't think it's worth it. We have too many holes to fill. Draft one of the other QB's, keep Howell and let the coaches do their job and get the most from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

That’s a joke right ? If it was that close, the Bears would screw us over and take Maye or Daniels………..

oh and the thought of a really good prospect, love that. Really good ?

Taking Maye or Daniels wouldn't be screwing us. I'm sure we'd be thrilled with either Maye or Williams(and probably Daniels too).

My point is the difference in prospect quality between Williams and Maye, or even Williams and Daniels, isn't enough to justify giving up a haul. 

As opposed to 2011 where after Cam Newton the next best QB was, who, Jimmy Clausen? Then yeah even if I were sitting at 2 and wanted a QB, I'd consider giving up a ton.

Its about value and opportunity cost. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Taking Maye or Daniels wouldn't be screwing us. I'm sure we'd be thrilled with either Maye or Williams(and probably Daniels too).

My point is the difference in prospect quality between Williams and Maye, or even Williams and Daniels, isn't enough to justify giving up a haul. 

As opposed to 2011 where after Cam Newton the next best QB was, who, Jimmy Clausen? Then yeah even if I were sitting at 2 and wanted a QB, I'd consider giving up a ton.

Its about value and opportunity cost. 

Just heard Altanta trading Pitts the TE to Chicago for Fields.  Assume picks involved as well.

11 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I bet they are "exploring" a lot of things. 

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Probably just a rumor.  Any source for this?  I'm not seeing this anywhere.

What I found fwiw.

"Big prediction for the offseason: The Falcons will use Pitts as part of a package to pry quarterback Justin Fields away from the Bears before Chicago uses the No. 1 overall pick on a new starting quarterback. -- Schatz"

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

There's just something weird about me.  I see comments like this and it just makes me hope so hard that the picks are Williams, Maye, Daniels, Harrison in that order.  No shock, no mystery, no games

That would surely make our decision easier.

Submitted for what it's worth---

A couple of things I've learned are damn near absolutes in an "absolutely relative world" (yes that's an intentional contradiction):

1. Life ain't fair 

2. Life ain't easy. (Unless you're willing to just give up and blissfully accept the outcome. Which some people actually do).

55 minutes ago, foreverbandg said:

Just heard Altanta trading Pitts the TE to Chicago for Fields.  Assume picks involved as well.

Well then, if true, barring Armageddon between now and the next 74 days its Caleb Williams to Chicago and we are where the draft begins!

Maye, Daniels or someone else. 

Let the games begin!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

1 hour ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

According to reports from NFL media, we are likely to explore trading to #1.

Everyone in the league is exploring the costs to trade up or down. If only to understand what other teams around them might be able/willing to do.

If Williams is so much better than Maye or Daniels why on earth would the Bears trade down? If Maye (or Daniels) is not that far off Williams so the Bears would be prepared to trade back a spot why would we trade up?

By far the most likely outcome is we stay at #2 and select Maye.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Everyone in the league is exploring the costs to trade up or down. If only to understand what other teams around them might be able/willing to do.

If Williams is so much better than Maye or Daniels why on earth would the Bears trade down? If Maye (or Daniels) is not that far off Williams so the Bears would be prepared to trade back a spot why would we trade up?

if williams really doesnt want to be in chicago and tanks his interviews to the point chicago realizes its a lost cause.....then do they keep Fields and go for the haul? or value maye/daniels over fields and swap a spot or two for some compensation

Edited by dunfer

Just now, dunfer said:

if williams really doesnt want to be in chicago and tanks his interviews to the point chicago realizes its a lost cause.....then do they keep Fields and go for the haul? or value maye/daniels over fields and trade a spot or two for some compensation

It’s really unlikely he pulls an Elway or Eli. Not impossible - but very very likely he’s going to Chicago. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Agreed. I think it would be preposterous to move up to number one. There isn't even close to a big enough disparity between Caleb and Maye/Daniels to give up a bunch of picks and/or players.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It’s really unlikely he pulls an Elway or Eli. Not impossible - but very very likely he’s going to Chicago. 

Yes because...having fun.  It could be anyone who moves up but seriously Adams builds through the draft and he wants these picks and my guess is he makes a trade or two with one of our 2nd and 3rd round picks.  

Edited by RWJ

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Assuming it's not because they're sticking with Fields (which I think is an extreme long shot), the only reasons they would trade down are that they really don't like Williams for whatever reason (have to assume it's questions about attitude) or he's convinced them he won't play there. 

In the first case, you definitely don't want to trade up for him. obviously. In the second, you shouldn't give too much. I would offer them something, if you really wanted him, but the idea it would be some enormous trade package is silly. If they want a QB and think Caleb won't play for them, they don't want to trade out of the top 2, so no reason t give a king's ransom. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yes because...having fun.  It could be anyone who moves up but seriously Adams builds through the draft and he wants these picks and my guess is he makes a trade or two with one of our 2nd and 3rd round picks.  

I can see someone like say Penix or Nix slipping into the top of the 2nd and us getting trade back offers. 

But if someone like Jordan Morgan or Fautanu is there I wouldn’t get cute. Just pick em!

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Assuming it's not because they're sticking with Fields (which I think is an extreme long shot), the only reasons they would trade down are that they really don't like Williams for whatever reason (have to assume it's questions about attitude) or he's convinced them he won't play there. 

In the first case, you definitely don't want to trade up for him. obviously. In the second, you shouldn't give too much. I would offer them something, if you really wanted him, but the idea it would be some enormous trade package is silly. If they want a QB and think Caleb won't play for them, they don't want to trade out of the top 2, so no reason t give a king's ransom. 

I certainly wouldn’t give up much - again I think by far the most likely outcome is the Bears pick Williams and we pick one of Maye or Daniels. With Maye being the most likely. 

• Like 1