Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

On 1/14/2024 at 2:39 PM, BleedBNG said:

Either way, it was just ridiculous. I kept saying before they started losing yardage to just kick the FG and Atlanta should win the SB. Not only that but where they were they could have just run the ball and let the clock run down. But no, they wanted to set up passing plays. Pissed me off.

I've been saying that for years. There was about 4:47 left on the clock when Julio Jones made the ridiculous catch at the NE 22 yard line. They then lost a yard on a running play, got sacked for 12 yards, then penalized for 10 yards, pushing them back to the NE 45 yard line with 3:38 left and the score 28-20.

All they had to do was run it twice more, burning clock to the 2 minute warning, or making NE burn all of their time outs, before kicking the field goal to make it 31-20. I put that more on Shanahan, not Quinn, since he was calling the plays.

An 11 point lead with about 2 minutes left and NE needing not only a TD/2 pt convert, but also a FG, and not having all of their time outs would have left a very different outcome.

I can never help but think what the story about NE/Belichick/Brady and their 6 titles would be if Pete Carroll and Kyle Shanahan hadn't both lost their minds in the clutch in those Super Bowls....

Edited by Stoox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This is a bit new to me on the HC front - we can virtually interview Ben Johnson, but we cannot officially hire or announce a hire until after (obviously) an in-person interview, and the Lions elimination from the playoffs. What risk is there, then, to wait this out until those two things can occur? If Johnson doesn't give us a handshake agreement and the Lions go to the Super Bowl ... and then he doesn't actually come on as a HC, that would keep us out of the race for several other options yeah? This happened with Bieniemy last year but I think that was more of an unexpected move for us. Just kind of curious what the implications are to waiting on someone making a deep playoff run. The same could be said for Slowik and McDaniel, too.

They've changed the rules recently. It used to be that there was an absolute ban on interviews until the candidate's season was over. The feeling was that it penalized candidates from playoff teams and that it made the offseason harder for interviewing teams, since some candidates couldn't even be contacted until February.

It's still an even playing field, though. The hottest candidates are all still coaching for the moment, unless you count Belichick, Vrabel or Dan Quinn that way. I'm quite sure Josh and Adam will have a priority list for that very reason. Of course, Josh seems like the kind of guy who isn't going to lose out on his preferred candidate very easily.

The same factors that attracted Adam to the job will also make the HC job attractive. The wildcards would be the Cowboys or Eagles jobs coming open, but those are difficult situations that might be a turnoff for some of the hotter candidates. Salary cap problems, aging rosters, meddling and impatient owners...

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Makes sense, we do have a female on our current coaching staff so it does add up.

I thought someone posted on FB that according to NFL rules teams must interview 2 minorities or 2 females or a combination of the two in order to fulfill the Rooney Rule. So hearing that today made me laugh. I had to go back and play it twice more to make sure I heard it right.

It's difficult to extract a lot from these press conferences, where it's mostly bromides and talking points. But the coherence between owner and GM, the themes (leadership, vision), and vibe check are all things to be excited about. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It always cracks me up when people listen to GMs for clues on what they're going to do. It's all scripted talking points. Nothing good or bad about it, but it's meaningless. 

I'd rather listen to a player interview. And I never listen to those. 

Agreed, but I'd also say that my ideal is where there is no reason to listen to a GM or owner interview, because they're in charge of a smooth, effective, drama-free machine.

There hasn't been a lot of that around these parts in many years.

Just now, profusion said:

Agreed, but I'd also say that my ideal is where there is no reason to listen to a GM or owner interview, because they're in charge of a smooth, effective, drama-free machine.

There hasn't been a lot of that around these parts in many years.

Agree. If there is something newsworthy in that interview, your team is probably in trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

This will be a big clean up job will probably take 2 year before we contenders.

The statement about fans seeing the difference on the field is step one.  Whether it's instant or 2 years, I'm ready to see a different intensity/approach.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

This will be a big clean up job will probably take 2 year before we contenders.

That was the key quote from Adam, to my mind. Look for improvement on the field right away even if it takes longer to show up in the standings. Better coaching should show up right away in better technique and decisionmaking from players and fewer mistakes and penalties.

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Breer dropping hints? 

I hope not but yes, interesting the Breer would put this out there but it goes back to Adam's scouting days with NE.  Hopefully not.  I hope that Adam picks new blood.  

8 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

That makes 6 for Johnson and 4 for Slowik

Plenty of issues with Seattle that make it less attractive:

--Ownership uncertainty due to upcoming sale

--Likely stuck with Geno Smith for a while

--Pete Carroll still apparently going to be hanging around the building

Josh and Adam are definitely going to have to make a great case if they want either Johnson or Slowik, for sure.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, profusion said:

Plenty of issues with Seattle that make it less attractive:

--Ownership uncertainty due to upcoming sale

--Likely stuck with Geno Smith for a while

--Pete Carroll still apparently going to be hanging around the building

Josh and Adam are definitely going to have to make a great case if they want either Johnson or Slowik, for sure.

I don't think so.  Again, I think they both have agreed on their target and now the advisory team along with both Harris and Adam get it done.  I truly think the new HC is and has been Ben Johnson.  I actually think they fly out and interview both Johnson and Glenn and Johnson the whole time is their guy. Guess on my part.

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 3

Here ya go!  Notice the timestamp on Nicki's Tweet.  It's before Joe's, Panther's bear reporter.  Could be something; could be nothing!  

Edited by RWJ
  • Thumb up 2

I would bet we hire Johnson. He said no to the Panthers last year. 

I think when the dust settles we will have 1st dibs and he doesn't even interview with Psycho.