Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things 2023 Playoffs and Schedule

kleese

I usually drop this thread much later than this. And yes it is definitely too early to legitimately discuss playoff scenarios, rooting interests, etc (but that won’t necessarily stop me from doing it). 

But the reason I am starting this thread now is because it also annually deals with the schedule, flexes, etc. I ams specifically doing it RIGHT NOW because I think we have a flex possibility for our game vs Eagles. 

The SNF game that week is Bears at Chargers. It was bad on paper anyway, but with Fields injury + Bears loss, that becomes close to a “must flex.” And that day, Eagles at Commanders would likely be the leader in clubhouse to replace. 

This is not official and the league has until Tuesday to decide, but something to keep tabs on next 24 hours or so. 

• Thumb up 1

If this teams makes the playoffs, it will be a quick exit.  We would get one if these 3 teams most likely- 49ers, Eagles, Lions. Those are likely 1-3 seeds in the nfc. The nfc south winner likely is 4th seed and we aren’t going to be as good as a 5th seed.

In and out and Ron gets the boot.

15 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If this teams makes the playoffs, it will be a quick exit.  We would get one if these 3 teams most likely- 49ers, Eagles, Lions. Those are likely 1-3 seeds in the nfc. The nfc south winner likely is 4th seed and we aren’t going to be as good as a 5th seed.

Laughable some choose to scoff at playoffs.

No value in a first year starter spearheading a charge into the playoffs? 

New England would die for a playoff birth this season. 

• Thumb up 2

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

OK, but I'll take a quick in and out just to provide some momentum for next season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Here's hoping this doesn't happen.  Last year's debacle on SNF vs the Giants should've taught the league that this team doesn't belong on Prime Time in big moments

That was a very important game between two big market teams that went down to the wire. It was a successful flex for the NFL/NBC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

I can’t imagine not wanting to make the playoffs out of fear you will lose in the playoffs. Especially considering our history of the past 30 years. 

I just don't wanna be talking draft prospects in October. There is plenty of time for that in the off season.

I'll always take meaningful football.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ultimately watching football is supposed to be fun and the playoffs are fun so I'll always take fun over non fun and worry about next year, next year.

Me too, I'll take the playoffs over a losing season any day.

I've been trying to remain positive all offseason and throughout the beginning of this season but that bears game was little big horn for my optimism, my come to Jesus moment so to speak on this entire staff.

I would definitely still love to watch this team in a playoff game but ain't no way I'm getting my hopes up.

Any time we go up against coaches who are good at scheming and game planning we look like the little sisters of hope auxiliary football club versus the 85 bears.

Wouldn't hurt though to get an all new staff in here coming off a playoff Berth with an emerging quarterback, that would give us some extra hope for the future.

12 minutes ago, kleese said:

I can’t imagine not wanting to make the playoffs out of fear you will lose in the playoffs. Especially considering our history of the past 30 years. 

I don't see that being the fear.

I think it's harder to clean house (which is desperately needed) coming off a season with playoff wins...

(I personally would love to see us in the playoffs and win. I just hope the inevitable is not delayed)

In the NFL, making the playoffs without an elite quarterback often makes repeating the feat in the following season unrealistic. This holds true for every team, including those led by your favorite up-and-coming head coach or GM.

Appreciate the playoffs, strive to build upon them, and keep the momentum going.

• Like 1

The difference in draft spot for being a one and done in the playoffs and just missing out isn’t a whole lot.  That is most likely the window we are looking at per usual with this regime.  

I’d much prefer to enjoy football through the holidays, make the playoffs and lose in the first round.  

Should go without saying that a wild card, one and done season is not enough to keep Rivera employed.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The difference in draft spot for being a one and done in the playoffs and just missing out isn’t a whole lot.  That is most likely the window we are looking at per usual with this regime.  

I’d much prefer to enjoy football through the holidays, make the playoffs and lose in the first round.  

Should go without saying that a wild card, one and done season is not enough to keep Rivera employed.

No, it’s not. If I’m Harris, the only two ways that the current administration is back next year is if they go to the NFC championship or win 12 regular season games. And even the latter would be taken into context. 

I too want to see them win this year as much as possible knowing that there’ll be wholesale changes this offseason.

Announcement will be made tomorrow about week 8 SNF flex/changes. I will be STUNNED if  Bears/Chargers stays. And our game is the most likely/easiest to move. I think Browns-Seahawks could be a candidate as well, but Eagles/Commanders sets up even better. I would say we have entered “good chance” territory for our game to get flexed in. 

8 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

It was, but this team, especially this coaching staff, doesn't show up well in Prime Time games (see the Bears game)

Not so sure about that:

2020:

- Beat the undefeated Steelers in prime time (I'm counting it as prime time even though it started at 5:00 pm)

- Beat the Eagles in prime time to win the division

2021:

- Beat the Giants in prime time on a Thursday

- Beat Seattle in prime time

2022:

- Beat the Bears in prime time

- Beat the undefeated Eagles in prime time

So far--including this season--I think this team with this coaching staff is 6-4 in prime time.

• Like 1

Looking like no flex for week 8. Probably would have been announced by now. Surprising that Bears/Chargers would remain on SNF, but NFL perhaps thinking too early in season to deal with the logistical hassles of moving games. No official word yet, but for those hoping against a primetime game v Philly, you are probably gonna get your wish. 

• Like 1