Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The all encompassing travel thread (for your tips, tricks, recs, questions, help).

The Evil Genius

22 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

@Ball Security, I remember hearing something about Union Station being under construction/in disrepair and being a real mess these days.  I guess they got all that straightened out?

I used to take the VRE back around 10 years ago. It looks like a number of restaurants closed during COVID and haven’t reopened. But to go in and get your train, it wasn’t anything noticeably different. My wife was  able to get a decent cup of coffee before the trip. Snacks at the shop were way overpriced, but didn’t seem much different than an airport.

I go through Union Station pretty regularly and used to work in an adjacent building 10 years ago. Some of the retail and restaurants are gone, but thats almost an improvement. I’ll trade not having to work my way through a few gaggles of shoppers while I’m’m trying to catch my train for one less Sbarros. 

Anyone have any experience with all inclusive resorts in Cancun or the Caribbeans for families with early teens?  Brain storming summer vacation plans.  Would the food be nice enough if we picked a high end place?  Not a super foodie or anything but good meals are part of the vacation experience we enjoy.  

15 hours ago, bearrock said:

Anyone have any experience with all inclusive resorts in Cancun or the Caribbeans for families with early teens?  Brain storming summer vacation plans.  Would the food be nice enough if we picked a high end place?  Not a super foodie or anything but good meals are part of the vacation experience we enjoy.  

The only all inclusive I've ever stayed at was in Costa Rica and I only did it because it was for a wedding there.  I wouldn't do it again. It was a Double Tree so not sure what level that would be considered.  Food was okay but gets old after a few days. 

I've never stayed at the Beaches in Turks and Caicos but I've heard great things about it.  I've walked by it and it looks pretty awesome.  

I personally have no interest in all inclusive though as I prefer to rent a car and drive all over the islands I go to, including driving to various restaurants.

• Thanks 1

Biggest advice is embrace the tech revolution.

- get you a pair of noise cancelling earphones and just listen to podcasts, TV, or movies on the plane. I grew up in an era where tv's would just be hooked to the plane ceiling, now every one has a TV in the back or they put it digitally. And some even let you connect through bluetooth. Phase that pesky noise out and use ANC.

- use the app to highly facilitate your experience. All I had to do when I flew last weekend was drop my bags off because I already checked in on my phone. I have a Google Pixel so it was showing me all this gate information and boarding time on my phone too, and my ticket was there too. For those that like saving paper tickets that won't work as well, but it sure is convenient.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, ixcuincle said:

I have 15 days of PTO which disappear after December 31st so where would yinz recommend I travel 

St. Thomas / St. John

I believe you said you fly out of IAD and they have direct flights to St. Thomas from there and it's like 2.5 hours or so.  It's also the USA so if you don't have a passport you have nothing to worry about.

Other favs of mine:

Grand Cayman

Aruba

Belize

Turks and Caicos

Roatan

None of them are too far away either.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

St. Thomas / St. John

I believe you said you fly out of IAD and they have direct flights to St. Thomas from there and it's like 2.5 hours or so.  It's also the USA so if you don't have a passport you have nothing to worry about.

Heading there November 19th for 10 days: 5 nights in St. John & 4 nights in St. Thomas. It's been a while since we've been there (ugh...9 years!)

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, purbeast said:

St. Thomas / St. John

Other favs of mine:

Grand Cayman

Aruba

Belize

Turks and Caicos

Roatan

None of them are too far away either.

What's the weed availability there?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What's the weed availability there?

Which place?

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Heading there November 19th for 10 days: 5 nights in St. John & 4 nights in St. Thomas. It's been a while since we've been there (ugh...9 years!)

Awesome.  I love it there.  I've never stayed on St. John but next time we go we want to stay on the island.  I've been there 3 times since 2020 (we were there first time when the NHL and NBA shut down for covid) and every time we've taken a day trip on the barge to St. John with our car.  The beaches there are incredible.  And Maegan's Bay on a non-cruise day is basically a postcard.

23 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Awesome.  I love it there.  I've never stayed on St. John but next time we go we want to stay on the island.  I've been there 3 times since 2020 (we were there first time when the NHL and NBA shut down for covid) and every time we've taken a day trip on the barge to St. John with our car.  The beaches there are incredible.  And Maegan's Bay on a non-cruise day is basically a postcard.

Yeah, this will be our first time staying on St. John. I got lucky and got a studio at the Westin. Then we go to Frenchman's Cove. The Westin (former Marriott) & Morningstar just reopened in August. The former Havana Blue restaurant - now Isla Blue - isn't open yet but will be when we are there. I'm really interested in seeing all of the changes.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

From my understanding there are no local sales. It's legal but not for sale. Standard rules about public consumption etc.

https://leafwell.com/cannabis-marijuana-laws/u-s-virgin-islands

Anecdotally, we ate on the terrace at the Terrace in St John's and watched a very active and unhassled by police open air drug market going on right below us.  Fabulous place by the way.

• Thumb up 1

SOP when at a touristy location is to identify a server or bartender that has the partier look and ask.  Tipping them really well is a good move too.

I had no issues finding it, tho I had some prearranged help.  Smoking a dube on the veranda of our cottage on St John's was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable things I have ever done.

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Thumb up 2

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I'll look into it but domestic destinations are easier right now 

might head out to Orlando to see universal 

Keys are also great to chill out in and relax, and can do some incredible fishing and diving down there as well.  When I go there I fly to FLL and just rent a car and drive down.

• Like 1

Pretty cool...

We Tried the Viral Google Hack for Super Cheap Flights

"Did I just unlock a cheat code or did everyone know about this??" reads the overtext in a TikTok that recently went viral. Personally, I think the TikToker who posted the video unlocked a cheat code—and did us all a great favor.

In the video, the poster guides viewers through the seemingly secret "Anywhere" feature on Google Flights. All you have to do is head over to Google Flights, select your departure location, and type "anywhere" in the destination section. Leave dates blank too, and make sure you're looking for roundtrip flights. Once you press enter, a map of the entire world will appear, showing you oh-so-many cheap flights from your selected departure hub to, quite literally, anywhere.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/google-flights-travel-hack-cheapest-airfare-tiktok

He visited every country in the world — without flying. Here’s how much it cost

Danish traveler Torbjorn Pedersen says he is the first person to visit every country in the world — without flying.

It’s a feat that took 10 years to accomplish — with average costs of around $20 a day, he said.

“In some countries like Singapore, I have to spend more than $20 a day. But in other countries like Bolivia, $20 is more than enough,” 44-year-old Pedersen told CNBC. 

When he was not sleeping on trains and ships, in hostels or his hammock, he stayed with host families, he said.

Pedersen said through the year hundreds of people opened their homes to him after he became popular on social media.

“In fact, I have often had to say ‘no’ to people because I had too many offers or because it was inconvenient,” Pedersen said.

He has even been invited several times to stay at five star hotels, he said.

Pedersen’s decade-long adventure was funded by geothermal electric power generation firm Ross Energy, who sent him about $600 every month, he said.

“They just felt [my plan] was really crazy, and they wanted to support it. What I did is part of world history, and they wanted to be a part of it,” Pedersen said

To visit 203 territories, Pedersen said he traveled about 382,000 kilometers (237,363 miles) and used 20 different modes of transportation, including:  

1. 351 buses
  2. 67 minibuses
  3. 219 taxis
  4. 46 motorcycle taxis
  5. 87 shared taxis
  6. 4 shared motorcycle taxis
  7. 28 four-wheel drive vehicles
  8. 9 trucks
  9. 158 trains
  10. 19 trams
  11. 128 metros or subways
  12. 43 rickshaws or tuktuks
  13. 40 container ships
  14. 33 boats
  15. 32 ferries
  16. 3 sail boats
  17. 2 cruise ships
  18. 1 horse carriage
  19. 1 police car
  20. 1 high performance yacht

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

We're headed there in February....hmmmm

Aruba Wants to Give You a Free Tattoo if You Vacation There

Most of the souvenirs you can bring home from a vacation aren't really built for longevity. Hand lotion? It won't last you more than a few months. Special candies or foods? Only going to last until you eat them. But the Aruba Tourism Authority wants you to come home from your next Caribbean getaway with something a little more lasting than a shell necklace to commemorate your trip.

The island is offering tourists the chance to get a free, Aruba-themed tattoo from a local artist as your souvenir. As part of the "tattoovenir" giveaway, tourists will be able to get their tattoo from artists at five local tattoo shops: Black Sheep Body Arts, Cadushi Ink Tattoos, Inkspiration Tattoo Studio, Aruba Tattoo/Aruba Tattoo and Piercing, and Art 4 Life Tattoo.

The "tattoovenir" signup is open for eligible participants starting today. You can go to aruba.com/tattoovenirs to claim a voucher to receive a tattoo between January 1, 2024 and June 30, 2024, while supplies last of course.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/aruba-free-tattoo-sweepstakes-tattoovenir

• Haha 1

This New Option Is Perfect for Passengers Who Don’t Want to Sit Next to Anyone

Qantas began the trials of neighbor-free seats domestically this year and after its success, it has expanded to international routes, including the U.S.

It’s not exactly a business class experience, but a little more space on a flight, especially when it’s a long one, can be a blessing. USA Today reports that on a Qantas flight between the U.S. and Australia, an empty seat can cost $140.

Here’s how it works: If you’re eligible, you’re sent an email 48 hours before your flight. Then you can reserve extra seats up to one hour before departure for domestic flights and up to two hours for international flights. You can choose your neighbor-free seat along with your standard seat. If confirmed, your boarding pass will indicated that you have more than one seat on your ticket. 

https://www.fodors.com/news/news/qantas-has-a-new-feature-for-those-who-dont-want-to-sit-next-to-anyone

• Thumb up 1