Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

10 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Unless they changed the rules, he's not eligible for PUP. It's only for guys that were not healthy when camp started.

Maybe I misheard ignore what I said then lol

23 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

PuP list? Are you reading the article about him going on the PuP list in August of 2022?? lol. No way in heck will he be placed on the PuP list for a neck stinger. He'll play week 1.

I was listening to locked on commanders while working I must have misheard what he said ignore 

• Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Other thing I wanted to say is that our backs are picking up some of the blocks that other schemes use TEs for.  Our TEs are going to be route runners first and foremost now.  Logan Thomas and Cole Turner could easily average five targets per game each. I think a fifth TE could also be a surprise roster spot if they go with just 9 OLs.

That makes me nervous.  I also think there is a chance Kaz Allen makes the team as a seventh receiver just to return punts.

They mentioned that Dax was out Wednesday but returned on Thursday (groin problem) if that lingers they may end up having to keep Allen

12 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Maybe I misheard ignore what I said then lol

I was listening to locked on commanders while working I must have misheard what he said ignore 

I listened to that last night and had to rewind it because I heard the same thing you did. I think he was referencing PUP in general and then brought up Chase from last year and it was pretty confusing the way he described it. Pretty sure after watching again that he was talking about last season though.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bantu said:

Usually a hater of long posts, but an appropriate topper for this thread has gotta be 53 man roster projections, right? 

Don't have to be long posts in format.  Here's mine:

QB 2 - Howell, Brissett

RB 3 - Robinson, Gibson, Rodriguez

WR 6 - McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Pringle, Allen

TE 4 - Thomas, Turner, Bates, Hodges

OL 10 - Leno, Wylie, Lucas, Cosmi, Charles, Paul, Gates, Stromberg, Daniels, Larsen

Fromm, Brooks, Monteiro, Tinsley, and Tremayne go to the PS as our key stashes.

DL 10 - Allen, Payne, Ridgeway, Mathis, Young, Sweat, Smith-Williams, Obada, Jones, Toohill

LB 4 - Davis, Barton, Hudson, Mayo

DB 11 - Fuller, Forbes, St Juste, Johnson, Holmes, Martin, Wildgoose, Curl, Forrest, Butler, Reaves

Eifler, Kendall Smith, WBK, Henry, and Potoae'e to the PS as our key stashes.

ST 3 - Way, Slye, Cheeseman

Edited by Going Commando
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

JSW has been pretty solid, but not spectacular. I'd be surprised if he didn't make the roster

Toohills snaps dropped at the end of last year.

Obada is a lock. He has the size to occasionally kick inside

Sounds like Jones is making it

Mathis makes it because of draft status.

Ridgeway should make the team.

That's 10.

I'm pretty sure we're only keeping 4 max at LBer with Davis, Barton, Hudson and Eifer I guess.

DB locks are Curl, Fuller, Juice, Reaves  Forbes, DeFo, Quan and Forbes. I think that's it for locks. Butler has looked bad at the same things as he always has, and the addition of Quan might make him a surprise cut. Wildgoose, DJ, TQF, 

4 safeties 4 CBs as locks, with Quan the tweener. 

So depending on if it's 10 or 11 at DB that leaves TQF, Wildgoose, DJ and Butler fighting for 2 or 3 spots.

If we go 4 LBers we could carry 11 DL or 11 DB I suppose.

Db is going to be tough.  You left off Holmes, yet I’m guessing he’s behind DJ (versatility and has proven himself) and Butler (ST ability and top notch speed).  DL is going to be interesting as well.  I wonder if keeping Armah helps the numbers game as he could be both the 4th back and 4th te (as well as ST return/coverage).  1 or more of Gore, Patterson and Williams should be available for the PS, and while they like Hodges, issues with drops is a pretty big deal as a pass catcher, lol.  Think it could come down to how much they utilize TEs (a lot) vs a ST back vs a 10th OL.  They could keep 4/4/10, but then the defensive cuts get even harder.

Edit: I was super confused looking at my notes in comparison to your numbers, then I realized you have Forbes listed twice, lol.  So I’m betting 10 dbs… the 7 you listed, plus DJ, Butler, and Holmes.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think your 10 is right, I think they'd keep henry for 11.  Toolhill they apparently like for his run stuffing when playing against run oriented teams.  I know JSW and Toolhill are besties -- super close.  

LB's 4 but Mayo as the 4th I believe not Eifler. 

Henry just makes no sense to me.  Not saying you’re wrong - I could absolutely see him sticking due to draft status, it’s just that there are a lot of guys that have been contributors that are on the cusp. 

Toohill has impressed me in terms of diagnosing run plays and setting the edge.

Tend to think Obada is safe, but I could see them keeping 5 DE (JSW, Toohill and Jones rounding the group out) and 5 DTs (Mathis, Ridgeway and Potoa’e) with part of the thinking that Obada is older and (partially because of that) might not get picked up.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

JSW is our best rotation DL and he can play special teams.  He's the one who starts for Chase when he can't play, I'd be surprised if he gets cut.  Obada deserves to make it over Toohill, but Toohill is four years younger.  It's a tough call.  I don't want to lose Toohill, but he is on the wrong side of the numbers game if Andre Jones makes the 53 man roster.

I don't feel super comfortable with Ridgeway and Mathis as our depth for Allen and Payne.  Mathis needs to get healthy and play the whole season, we're banking a lot on him to be able to carry some of the weight for Allen.

Potoa’e is my wildcard on the DL.  Obada and JSW’s ability to play inside alleviates some concerns about Ridgeway/Mathis (especially if those 2 are better suited to nose than 3 tech), but Potoa’e has flashed a bit and seems a better sub for Allen/Payne based on my limited exposure to his play.

• Like 1

Other thing I wanted to say is that our backs are picking up some of the blocks that other schemes use TEs for.  Our TEs are going to be route runners first and foremost now.  Logan Thomas and Cole Turner could easily average five targets per game each. I think a fifth TE could also be a surprise roster spot if they go with just 9 OLs.

That makes me nervous.  I also think there is a chance Kaz Allen makes the team as a seventh receiver just to return punts.

Don't see us keeping more than 6 WRs.  Obviously the top 4 (Terry, Dotson, Samuel, Brown) are locks.  After that, I figure Pringle makes it as WR5.  WR6 is between Milne and Kaz.  Maybe they keep Milne as WR6 to start the year as he's more productive as a WR (with Terry's current injury) and put Kaz on practice squad (to be elevated when Terry is 100%)?

If Terry is good to go, then I think Kaz makes it as a the returner and we cut Milne.

Edited by mhd24

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

QB 2 - Howell, Brissett

OL 10 - Leno, Wylie, Lucas, Cosmi, Charles, Paul, Gates, Stromberg, Daniels, Larsen

DL 10 - Allen, Payne, Ridgeway, Mathis, Young, Sweat, Smith-Williams, Obada, Jones, Toohill

DB 11 - Fuller, Forbes, St Juste, Johnson, Holmes, Martin, Wildgoose, Curl, Forrest, Butler, Reaves

Pretty accurate if I do say so myself. On O I think we might PS Crod based on his fumble, and keep patterson as the 3rd RB. On D Only one I'd maybe see not making it is Wildgoose.. he was getting torched left and right in the Ravens game.

Edited by Tress Is The Way
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I said Potoa’e is my wildcard, but I have Brooks right up there with him.  Gonna have to replace Larsen though unless a) someone gets injured or b) they keep 11 (presuming Daniels makes the cut, which I’m betting he will).  Tough spot for him, but having some ability/experience at both guard and tackle helps, especially vs Larsen looking like a C only (though I didn’t hear how trying him out at G went).  Brooks is also young and was a priority UDFA…

Lot of interesting battles/decisions virtually across the board.  I gotta give some credit to the staff for it.

• Like 1

JSW is our best rotation DL and he can play special teams.  He's the one who starts for Chase when he can't play, I'd be surprised if he gets cut.  Obada deserves to make it over Toohill, but Toohill is four years younger.  It's a tough call.  I don't want to lose Toohill, but he is on the wrong side of the numbers game if Andre Jones makes the 53 man roster.

I don't feel super comfortable with Ridgeway and Mathis as our depth for Allen and Payne.  Mathis needs to get healthy and play the whole season, we're banking a lot on him to be able to carry some of the weight for Allen.

From what I've heard Obada is a lock to make the roster. 

Keim suggested Kaz Allen is on the bubble.  50-50.   Milne's injury might help Allen's cause.

As for Logan, hopefully he can stay healthy.    But if he does agree he and the TE crop will get a lot of opporutnities.  I saw that at the practice I watched. 

34 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

QB 2 - Howell, Brissett

Nice list GC.  The only change defensively I'd have is cutting Wildgoose and keeping 10 DBs.  I'd put Henry on instead.  If we cut Henry, he'll get picked up by teams like Arizona, Houston etc.  All of our backup edges are FAs next year.  That's the reason to keep Henry.  So, I keep 11 DL vs 10 DBs.  

I wonder if they cut Hodges and keep Armah instead?  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Db is going to be tough.  You left off Holmes, yet I’m guessing he’s behind DJ (versatility and has proven himself) and Butler (ST ability and top notch speed).  DL is going to be interesting as well.  I wonder if keeping Armah helps the numbers game as he could be both the 4th back and 4th te (as well as ST return/coverage).  1 or more of Gore, Patterson and Williams should be available for the PS, and while they like Hodges, issues with drops is a pretty big deal as a pass catcher, lol.  Think it could come down to how much they utilize TEs (a lot) vs a ST back vs a 10th OL.  They could keep 4/4/10, but then the defensive cuts get even harder.

Edit: I was super confused looking at my notes in comparison to your numbers, then I realized you have Forbes listed twice, lol.  So I’m betting 10 dbs… the 7 you listed, plus DJ, Butler, and Holmes.

Henry just makes no sense to me.  Not saying you’re wrong - I could absolutely see him sticking due to draft status, it’s just that there are a lot of guys that have been contributors that are on the cusp. 

Toohill has impressed me in terms of diagnosing run plays and setting the edge.

Tend to think Obada is safe, but I could see them keeping 5 DE (JSW, Toohill and Jones rounding the group out) and 5 DTs (Mathis, Ridgeway and Potoa’e) with part of the thinking that Obada is older and (partially because of that) might not get picked up.

Potoa’e is my wildcard on the DL.  Obada and JSW’s ability to play inside alleviates some concerns about Ridgeway/Mathis (especially if those 2 are better suited to nose than 3 tech), but Potoa’e has flashed a bit and seems a better sub for Allen/Payne based on my limited exposure to his play.

The second Forbes was suppose to be Holmes. Whoops. Good catch.

• Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

QB 2 - Howell, Brissett

I'd say Milne over Pringle and Arham over Hodges (although Thomas might start the season on the PUP)

Otherwise, that's the roster.

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd say Milne over Pringle and Arham over Hodges (although Thomas might start the season on the PUP)

Otherwise, that's the roster.

Milne is not going to make it over Pringle. From most of what I've read, Pringle has had a solid camp and is an EB guy from KC. 

And I agree with you about Arham over Hodges. Arham can play as a FB/short yardage back and TE. Hodges, I believe, needs more time to develop and work on his hands.

HTTR!

2 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Milne is not going to make it over Pringle. From most of what I've read, Pringle has had a solid camp and is an EB guy from KC. 

And I agree with you about Arham over Hodges. Arham can play as a FB/short yardage back and TE. Hodges, I believe, needs more time to develop and work on his hands.

HTTR!

Milne is such a security blanket on teams. Pringle has had a long boring career and not much of a teams guy. Maybe with Milne being injured. 

Kick offs, I don't know why Samuels or Gibby can't be doing it. We're deep at those spots.

Hodges can't catch for ****, which sucks, because he's basically Darnell Washington, but worse blocker and better athletics.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Milne is such a security blanket on teams. Pringle has had a long boring career and not much of a teams guy. Maybe with Milne being injured. 

Kick offs, I don't know why Samuels or Gibby can't be doing it. We're deep at those spots.

Hodges can't catch for ****, which sucks, because he's basically Darnell Washington, but worse blocker and better athletics.

Agreed on the return game. Watching Milne stand back there waiting for the ball like he's dribbling **** down his leg is excruciatingly painful. The guy simply doesn't need to be returning kicks. I think AG would be fine returning myself.

Hodges has the tools and athleticism, but with him it seems to be a mental issue. And yeah, at this point he can't seem to catch air if you told him to breathe.

HTTR!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You sure about that?

image.jpeg.2c39475c0a98bc2b5021a216238edec7.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Darnell was one on my guys list.   Love some of the Steelers picks.  Darnell seems so much like a Steeler as for his style of play.  

Steelers had a good offseason, they seem to have reloaded nicely.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Darnell was one on my guys list.   Love some of the Steelers picks.  Darnell seems so much like a Steeler as for his style of play.  

Yep, your enthusiasm was contagious. He was one of my "must draft" guys after reading your posts

• Like 1

I wanted Washington in the 2nd. 1st would have been too high but in the 2nd he'd have been great value and the Steelers got him in the 3rd. We'll see how Martin and Stromberg do in comparison(Washington was taken a few picks before Stromberg but maybe we could have moved up or something).