Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

Forgive my long rant but I've followed this EB saga closely and I need to get a load off my chest here:

It was curious why EB wasn't getting any other offers for head coaches so I started to do some more research. When EB was hired with Washington I was very happy. I wanted to see if he could replicate his success with KC here. At the time, many surmised that Eric was only successful because of Mahomes, and that EB did not have a hand in gameday preparations, so with a new start here we would know the full story as Rivera basically ceded all offensive control to EB and gave him full authority on that side of the ball.

During his hiring, many players like Terry approached him and said they desired an approach for tough love. EB was very chill with them and said in the official team video documentation and social media recordings of the conversation, "I appreciate it, when we can talk ball we can discuss more". And LeSean McCoy, former Chief, flipped out over EB and said he was overrated prompting KC players to defend their former OC.

During Keim's coverage of the OTA's he did notice that EB played a larger part than Washington camps in the past, and defensive players were complimentary like "it's a whole different vibe around here with him yelling". Keim wrote at least one ESPN piece and recorded a podcast about EB where he said that EB was tough but fair, and he wasn't always screaming or cussing at the players, if he did, it was because he had a high expectation and low tolerance for errors. Keim talks about the time Sam Howell made a mistake and EB didn't yell at him because Sam knew what he did, and as long as he understood that EB didn't feel the need to scream him out.

With all this crap dropping today about how EB is "too strict" for these young'uns it rubs me the wrong way, and if I was out on the field and some guy wouldn't get off my back I'd' flip out too, but I'm not a pro player. At the end of the day he is there to step your game up and take it to the next level. He has a high standard and expects you to play by t he same too, and if he doesn't, he's going to cusee you out. Again, this isn't Camp Gruden. Desean Jackson isn't here giving coach Gruden nipple twists lol. This is a new harsh camp. Tough love. Tough, but fair.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

eb was badly needed to light a fire under their asses. No nipple twisting in this training camp lol 

For me, the operative phrase is "early on." Perhaps they have straightened all this **** up with these soft players.

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Ugh, I wonder which of our loser players are crying already. 

Not Terry. Man knows his assignment.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Drfustercluck said:

For me, the operative phrase is "early on." Perhaps they have straightened all this **** up with these soft players.

Not Terry. Man knows his assignment.

I hate to point fingers but I think one of the complainers was D. Brown because I heard a recent interview he did with Craig Hoffman and when asked about  the screaming his response was something along the lines of "it depends on the intent behind the yelling" on if the message is getting through or not.

I couldn't help but think, dude you're one step away from the XFL, you shouldn't be worried about anything but impressing the coaching staff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I absolutely care about wins and losses - it’s why they play the games! Each to their own and all that but I would rather watch us win an absolute stinker 3-0 than lose a 34-35 shoot out.

That said if we want to win consistently we can’t be playing too many stinkers and relying on being the least worst team in a given match up.

I was all about the Alex Smith team that won boring game after boring game, but that's not what I'm after any more. I want dynamic. If we lose to better teams, which I think will be the case, so be it. Next year it gets fixed and we can become a perennial contender, instead of hovering around .500.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

You missed business genius Elon Musk paying $44B for the Twitter platform and brand and then deciding to change the name to ‘X”?

Between ES and twitter, I am up to about 23 things that pop up in my search with an X.

31 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

With all this crap dropping today about how EB is "too strict" for these young'uns it rubs me the wrong way, 

It has nothing to do with being "too strict". Guys don't like having someone constantly yell in their face and curse and insult them.

Ron is bizarrely honest and open sometimes. To the point of looking like a simpleton.  You know Harris is taking notes -- while adding more names to his next coach list. 

And of course some of the players hate EB's style -- it was no secret that many of the players in KC did. It's one of the many things that kept EB from getting a chance elsewhere and it's why Andy leaned on Ron to give him a chance.

Between going with Howell and hiring EB, Riverboat has really made some wild bets.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I hate to point fingers but I think one of the complainers was D. Brown because I heard a recent interview he did with Craig Hoffman and when asked about  the screaming his response was something along the lines of "it depends on the intent behind the yelling" on if the message is getting through or not.

I couldn't help but think, dude you're one step away from the XFL, you shouldn't be worried about anything but impressing the coaching staff.

That's so disheartening, as I watched his offseason workouts in Florida in his yt channel; He was so fireed up; He was working with a peraonal trainer, etc. I believe a great deal of this is the entitled generation in which guys like him were raised. A championship is not handed to you, it's chiseled and formed by hard work and passion, and sometimes the potter is someone like EB; Sometimes his coaching style is a necessity.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Forgive my long rant but I've followed this EB saga closely and I need to get a load off my chest here:

It was curious why EB wasn't getting any other offers for head coaches so I started to do some more research. When EB was hired with Washington I was very happy. I wanted to see if he could replicate his success with KC here. At the time, many surmised that Eric was only successful because of Mahomes, and that EB did not have a hand in gameday preparations, so with a new start here we would know the full story as Rivera basically ceded all offensive control to EB and gave him full authority on that side of the ball.

During his hiring, many players like Terry approached him and said they desired an approach for tough love. EB was very chill with them and said in the official team video documentation and social media recordings of the conversation, "I appreciate it, when we can talk ball we can discuss more". And LeSean McCoy, former Chief, flipped out over EB and said he was overrated prompting KC players to defend their former OC.

During Keim's coverage of the OTA's he did notice that EB played a larger part than Washington camps in the past, and defensive players were complimentary like "it's a whole different vibe around here with him yelling". Keim wrote at least one ESPN piece and recorded a podcast about EB where he said that EB was tough but fair, and he wasn't always screaming or cussing at the players, if he did, it was because he had a high expectation and low tolerance for errors. Keim talks about the time Sam Howell made a mistake and EB didn't yell at him because Sam knew what he did, and as long as he understood that EB didn't feel the need to scream him out.

With all this crap dropping today about how EB is "too strict" for these young'uns it rubs me the wrong way, and if I was out on the field and some guy wouldn't get off my back I'd' flip out too, but I'm not a pro player. At the end of the day he is there to step your game up and take it to the next level. He has a high standard and expects you to play by t he same too, and if he doesn't, he's going to cusee you out. Again, this isn't Camp Gruden. Desean Jackson isn't here giving coach Gruden nipple twists lol. This is a new harsh camp. Tough love. Tough, but fair.

Maybe. I’ll continue to observe and collect evidence from actual camp (and most importantly, in-season results) rather than the puff pieces that came out of the hiring and minicamps. We’ll know for sure how it plays with the roster soon enough, because we’ll see it on game day. A guy like that can sour a locker room quickly when losses are piling up, or motivate the right people to the next level when all cylinders are firing. It absolutely is something to watch though—it’s not just a matter of whether players are “soft” or need “tough love” lol, this is a league with lots of fully capable grown men in it. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to the Ron press conference where it came out.  Ron just walked himself into that story, oddly.  He volunteered it more than he needed to. 

That's one of riveras kryptonites, fortunately one of his biggest strengths is reading men and knowing exactly how to motivate them and navigate things like this.

Hopefully he can keep this from becoming more than just a mild concern, but as many have noted winning cures all and losing amplifies problems. 

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

Maybe. I’ll continue to observe and collect evidence from actual camp (and most importantly, in-season results) rather than the puff pieces that came out of the hiring and minicamps. We’ll know for sure how it plays with the roster soon enough, because we’ll see it on game day. A guy like that can sour a locker room quickly when losses are piling up, or motivate the right people to the next level when all cylinders are firing. It absolutely is something to watch though—it’s not just a matter of whether players are “soft” or need “tough love” lol, this is a league with lots of fully capable grown men in it. 

Fair point. His offense is supposed to be complex so we'll see how quickly the offense pick it up. 

• Like 1