Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

10 hours ago, MartinC said:

Let’s not freak out about minor strains and soreness. It happens - these guys are so finely tuned that they will pick up small tweaks. 

So here is an incorrect use of the word strain.
Strain is a muscle tear of some degree and even a minor 'strain' is valid reason for concern. Muscle tears, even minor 1st degree take weeks to heal property.

Tweaks...loose non-descript term that, in the NFL, is usually a lie.

The way these guys are getting after it, everyone is sore and has potential for overuse injury. My understanding is they're monitoring this with GPS data and computer algo to know when players are in the over-trained caution state.

Yeah, don't freak out about small stuff but don't discount the value of resting a guy who has symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, TheShredder said:

So here is an incorrect use of the word strain.
Strain is a muscle tear of some degree and even a minor 'strain' is valid reason for concern. Muscle tears, even minor 1st degree take weeks to heal property.

Tweaks...loose non-descript term that, in the NFL, is usually a lie.

The way these guys are getting after it, everyone is sore and has potential for overuse injury. My understanding is they're monitoring this with GPS data and computer algo to know when players are in the over-trained caution state.

Yeah, don't freak out about small stuff but don't discount the value of resting a guy who has symptoms.

I learned that the hard way, hurt my shoulder working out last year, it was painful enough that I went to the emergency room to get an X-Ray.  Diagnosed as a strain which the doctor explained is a tear.  Was in a harness for a few months, was painful.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I learned that the hard way, hurt my shoulder working out last year, it was painful enough that I went to the emergency room to get an X-Ray.  Diagnosed as a strain which the doctor explained is a tear.  Was in a harness for a few months, was painful.

Sprains and strains are both tears. A strain is a tendon or muscle and a sprain is the tearing or overstretching of a ligament. 

They are still a minor injury. But they are often painful as hell. 

And take forever to heal... I shouldn't say they are a minor injury. It depends on the severity, really.

Anyways, the way I always remember the difference is sTrain has a "T" and tendon starts with T. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to get off twitter. 😢 It will drive me to the madness.  At least I don't feel foolish anymore for taking him in the board's mock draft game.  :ols:

This is a guy who went undrafted that we absolutely could have gotten.

I still don't see why teams didn't draft him. I had him as a top 3 ILB in this class. He did everything well. Why people thought that his instincts, recognition and play speed (not running speed) wouldn't translate is so strange to me. 

I'm very frustrated by this. 

As I've made clear I am thankful for Ron Rivera's contributions to this franchise. But I can't wait until we have a quality GM in place that recognizes these kinds of players in the draft process. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is a guy who went undrafted that we absolutely could have gotten.

I still don't see why teams didn't draft him. I had him as a top 3 ILB in this class. He did everything well. Why people thought that his instincts, recognition and play speed (not running speed) wouldn't translate is so strange to me. 

I'm very frustrated by this. 

As I've made clear I am thankful for Ron Rivera's contributions to this franchise. But I can't wait until we have a quality GM in place that recognizes these kinds of players in the draft process. 

And I'd add the pass rush from Pace.  For a team that really really wanted a LB according to Rivera early in the off season and Keim as to what they heard privately -- to ignore him (as far as I know) in UDFA is weird.

Some reveal of their interest in LBs too in one of the team's video releases of the draft process where they debated Soelle (Arizona LB) versus Andre Jones when their 7th round pick came up.

The Eagles find a stud all pro LT off the streets.  Browns who already have a loaded O line, get Dawand in the 4th.     We trade up, give up 2 picks to get a long snapper who apparently is struggiling with his snaps this year in camp, the Chiefs a pick after take Trey Smith.    I like Jamin but he was overdrafted, 2nd round talent IMO, we pass on Darrisaw, LT, who is one of the best in the game.  On and on with stuff like this.

They are competent at drafting but there is nothing special about this FO.  They miss way too many opportunities.   I get some have excuses for everyone of their misses over the last 4 years but eventually they all add up together until exactly what we got mediocrity.  Not bad.  Not great.  Stuck in the middle.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

Herbig, another dude I liked.  Like @Koolblue13 I said I'd have taken him over Daniels.

I'll give that training camp hype could fade when the season starts.  But lol, it doesn't make me feel good that Daniels is apparently struggiling in camp.

The thing that Ron has said among his comments that I hated the most over the years was explaining to Sheehan why no matter what he wouldn't have taken Herbert in that draft.  His explanation was more or less Herbert wasn't a consensus agreed on stud around the league in the draft.

IMO who cares about the draftnik consensus on Herbert.  You are paid to do better than the consensus not to blend in with average takes. 

Do the Eagles consider themsleves a ride with consensus takes type of outfit?  Be a bit more outside the box, Ron.  Think different.

I think we are accustomed to be turned off to the idea of being aggressive and different because we saw the stupid version of that combination with Dan-Vinny.  But there are smart outfits, that are aggressive and smart and actually make winning moves.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Herbig, another dude I liked.  Like @Koolblue13 I said I'd have taken him over Daniels.

I'll give that training camp hype could fade when the season starts.  But lol, it doesn't make me feel good that Daniels is apparently struggiling in camp.

The thing that Ron has said among his comments that I hated the most over the years was explaining to Sheehan why no matter what he wouldn't have taken Herbert in that draft.  His explanation was more or less Herbert wasn't a consensus agreed on stud around the league in the draft.

IMO who cares aboiut the draftnik consensus on Herbert.  You are paid to do better than the consensus not to blend in with average takes. 

Do the Eagles consider themsleves a ride with consensus takes type of outfit?  Be a bit more ourside the box, Ron.

It's coming. Before next season, we will have a forward thinking GM and a FO that knows how to use resources to build a team that contends every year.

You can flush everything down the commode after this season.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's coming. Before next season, we will have a forward thinking GM and a FO that knows how to use resources to build a team that contends every year.

You can flush everything down the commode after this season.  

I know.  It feels like almost 100% unless they have a shockingly good season.  And even if they have a shock big season, I seriously doubt Harris allows Ron to run the FO going forward.

It will be fun to have a forward thinking, aggressive, outside the box thinking FO for the first time in eons.  And I am confident that's what Harris will pursue considering his history.

I don't think this current regime is dumb.  They are competent.  But the solid B minus, C plus effort just doesn't cut it if we want to be really good again.

Under Vinny-Dan they were aggressive but stupid aggressive and would constantly mortgage the future.  Under Bruce, they were conservative -- but a cheap, boring, lack of urgency and mostly stupid version of it.  They did even worse than the Vinny version.   Ron isn't stupid.  He's closer to the Bruce version. Boring and lacks urgency like Bruce.  But is more competent and not sleazy like Bruce's regime.

It's been a bumpy ride.  I get those that celebrated the change under Ron.  I did too.  But I want off that ride now that Dan is gone, we can do better.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know.  It feels like almost 100% unless they have a shockingly good season.  And even if they have a shock big season, I seriously doubt Harris allows Ron to run the FO going forward.

It will be fun to have a forward thinking, aggressive, outside the box thinking FO for the first time in eons.  And I am confident that's what Harris will pursue considering his history.

I don't think this current regime is dumb.  They are competent.  But the solid B minus, C plus effort just doesn't cut it if we want to be really good again.

Under Vinny-Dan they were aggressive but stupid aggressive and would constantly mortgage the future.  Under Bruce, they were conservative -- but a cheap, boring, lack of urgency and mostly stupid version of it.  They did even worse than the Vinny version.   Ron isn't stupid.  He's closer to the Bruce version. Boring and lacks urgency like Bruce.  But is more competent and not sleazy like Bruce's regime.

It's been a bumpy ride.  I get those that celebrated the change under Ron.  I did too.  But I want off that ride now that Dan is gone, we can do better.  

We needed Ron to ride out the absolute **** show Dan created and make us respectable and that happened and it's time to move on.

Imagine if we drafted Jones in ther 3rd and Herbig in the 4rth.  Pretty consensus BPA and needs. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We needed Ron to ride out the absolute **** show Dan created and make us respectable and that happened and it's time to move on.

Imagine if we drafted Jones in ther 3rd and Herbig in the 4rth.  Pretty consensus BPA and needs. 

Agree as to imagine if they did. But they tend to draft to need and don't like taking chances.  Dawand has some risk.  Herbig some say is undersized.  So not sure they fit the consensus in that FO room.   But if it were me, you, plenty on that draft thread, we'd have done it.

Another dude we both liked below.  I liked Sttomberg but heck looks like he's not in their plans for 2023.  

Giants keep drafting O lineman high, and they start that season.   Like Randy Mueller (ex-NFL GM) said, Ron acts like he's on a 10 year plan.   Heck maybe Daniels will be ready in 2025.  We got plenty of time. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree as to imagine if they did. But they tend to draft to need and don't like taking chances.  Dawand has some risk.  Herbig some say is undersized.  So not sure they fit the consensus in that FO room.   But if it were me, you, plenty on that draft thread, we'd have done it.

Another dude we both liked below.  I liked Stomberg but heck looks like he's not in their plans for 2023.  

Giants keep drafting O lineman high, and they start that season.   Like Randy Mueller (ex-NFL GM), Ron acts like he's on a 10 year plan.   Heck maybe Daniels will be ready in 2025.  We got plenty of time. 

I said I'd draft JMS in the first even, but the Giants decided to not resign or even offer Gates a contract and drafted him.

Meanwhile, sure the bleaches we now have are great and the attendance for our practices is the best it's been in years, check out these awful fans everyone loves to bag on.

Can't wait until we're back to this level.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I said I'd draft JMS in the first even, but the Giants decided to not resign or even offer Gates a contract and drafted him.

Meanwhile, sure the bleaches we now have are great and the attendance for our practices is the best it's been in years, check out these awful fans everyone loves to bag on.

Eagles fans are rabid no doubt.  

It's the power of winning of course.  I also think it helps having a FO that's fun, outside the box and aggressive.   In the 1980s, it was this team that was considered smarter than the rest of the league.  Now its the Eagles.

I used to argue for adapting the Eagles approach on the FO thread before Roseman became as cool as he's seen today.  Some of the Bruce fan boys (yes they did exist at one time) pushed back.  And when the Eagles had a down season and the article about Lurrie being too hands on from the Athletic came out -- one person from that FO thread thought to call me out on my lauding that FO.  Good times.

I am jealous of what the Eagles did.   But every indication is Harris is cut from that same cloth.  Joe Banner, ex-Eagles GM, Howie's mentor, knows Harris and knows someone who worked with him closely -- depcited him as a likely stud owner.  Ditto most of the Philly reporters who covered Harris, with the exception of two dudes.

When the Giants GM from the 2000s wrote a book about his tenure.  He went out of his way to complement one team's fans and how rabid they were.  It wasn't the Eagles.  It was Washington.   

I think we will get back.   And the reason why Ron frustrates me to death now and didn't frustrate me at all when Dan was here is because this team can dream bigger now.  Ron I don't think has it in him to drive 100 miles an hour.  He's a 65 miles an hour, I won't crash your car kind of dude.  And to keep this fan base interested and grow it, we need to drive 100 MPH again IMO.

• Like 4

Just now, redskinss said:

Isn't there a 2023 hindsight draft picks thread?

Can we move the wallowing in what might have been over there?

This thread is quickly moving from depressing to pathetic. 

You should start a "everything that's not super positive and things that 2s's doesn't like" thread, so when anyone is critical of the team this year they can put it somewhere you don't have to see. That's why I started the official QB thread, because QB conversations popped into every single thread.

We're just chatting before practice starts, if there is one. 

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Don't the Eagles have like one or two public practices? plus the team is coming off a Superbowl appearance so to9d attendance isn't all that surprising. 

Edited by spjunkies

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Isn't there a 2023 hindsight draft picks thread?

Can we move the wallowing in what might have been over there?

This thread is quickly moving from depressing to pathetic. 

This is part of the forum. We are, at least I think, very on topic in discussing the holes on the roster and ways that they could have been filled in a meaningful manner.

It's okay to not feel that way. I'd counter with some positive and shift the dynamic to get the conversation flowing in a different way if that's what you're thinking.

So, what good aspects do you want to discuss?

I'm game. I'm tired of watching Dawand, Mauch, JMS, Pace, etc., do extremely well while our rookies flounder or aren't given much of an opportunity. 

I'm personally excited to see what BRob can do with a healthy off-season. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Don't the Eagles have like one or two public practices? plus the team is coming off a Superbowl appearance so to9d attendance isn't all that surprising. 

It's still pretty cool to see. We'll be like that when we're back in DC and good again.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eagles fans are rabid no doubt.  

It's the power of winning of course.  I also think it helps having a FO that's fun, outside the box and aggressive.   In the 1980s, it was this team that was considered smarter than the rest of the league.  Now its the Eagles.

I used to argue for adapting the Eagles approach on the FO thread before Roseman became as cool as he's seen today.  Some of the Bruce fan boys (yes they did exist at one time) pushed back.  And when the Eagles had a down season and the article about Lurrie being too hands on from the Athletic came out -- one person from that FO thread thought to call me out on my lauding that FO.  Good times.

I am jealous of what the Eagles did.   But every indication is Harris is cut from that same cloth.  Joe Banner, ex-Eagles GM, Howie's mentor, knows Harris and knows someone who worked with him closely -- depciting him as a likely stud owner.  Ditto most of the Philly reporters who covered Harris, with the exception of two dudes.

When the Giants GM from the 2000s wrote a book about his tenure.  He went out of his way to complement one team's fans and how rabid they were.  It wasn't the Eagles.  It was Washington.   

I think we will get back.   And the reason why Ron frustrated me to death now and didn't frustrate me at all when Dan was here is because this team can dream bigger now.  Ron I don't think has it in him to drive 100 miles an hour.  He's a 65 miles an hour, I won 't crash your car kind of dude.  And to keep this fan base interested and grow it, we need to drive 100 MPH again IMO.

Yeah, Gibbs was an outside of the box hiring. I have a feeling that someone from that Banner/Howie GM tree will be coming in here next. It's really exciing.

• Like 1

On the QB thread, we chat about other QBs on occasion.  On this thread we talk about other camps on occasion.  Fun to talk football.  

Speaking for myself, it makes it a bit fun.  Shortly practice will start and I'll post 50 milion tweets about what went down and we will back to our usual programming.

• Like 3