Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 4/20/2024 at 5:47 PM, Est.1974 said:

this is the day 3 guy we could be keen on…

• Javontae Jean-Baptiste, EDGE, Notre Dame

On 4/19/2024 at 12:05 PM, Koolblue13 said:

I'd pick McCaffery before Coleman. I just don't see him ever getting open in the NFL and I don't think they'll need to use CBs to cover him, just SS and LBers.

On 4/16/2024 at 10:17 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Right? Like Gannon in AZ doesn't want to take a shot at the top pass rusher? 

Antonio Pierce could want to do something dramatic to get his QB.

Chargers could draft Alt and move Slater to the right or put him up on the trade block.

On 4/12/2024 at 8:52 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

If I judged this by pro-day visits, granted small sample, they aren't taking a OT in round 1 in a trade up but very likely taking one later in the draft

Some good takes. I was right about the trade back with the Eagles and going DL/CB when we did 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

18 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Some good takes. I was right about the trade back with the Eagles and going DL/CB when we did 

@Koolblue13 lists numerous amazingly correct picks by himself and @Skinsinparadise

Aha!!

I just broke Extremeskins equivalent of the enigma code.

There's only one possible explanation for you and (SIP) absolutely nailing so many players.

So tell me Adam (SIP) and DQ (KB13), how did you guys enjoy conducting your first draft? 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

@Koolblue13 lists numerous amazingly correct picks by himself and @Skinsinparadise

Aha!!

I just broke Extremeskins equivalent of the enigma code.

There's only one possible explanation for you and (SIP) absolutely nailing so many players.

So tell me Adam (SIP) and DQ (KB13), how did you guys enjoy conducting your first draft? 

Trust the process brother. Trust the process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if I nailed a ton.

I followed Keim's breadcrumbs on Daniels, while some others were accusing Keim of being a tool and said his sources dried up.  Betting on Keim usually works in my favor.:ols:

Sainstrill I liked early in the process and pushed him.  But then later I wondered if he was a scheme fit.

Sinnott was my 2nd favorite TE in the class and made my guys list.

I wasn't thinking Newton at all but loved the pick when it happened.  Coleman wasn't on my radar among the 2nd tier tackles aside from commenting on and off that his athletic profile seemed perfect.

I wasn't super high on McCaffrey but love the dude now that I digested him and watched his interviews.

Hampton I took in the board's mock draft so am very familiar with.

Macgee I didn't know at all because I didn't watch much of the LBs.

Jean-Baptitise actually was a mid-to late round edge I pushed on draft day and ranked him well on my edge rankings

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Question for or any draftnick:

When was the last time we went an entire draft without selecting a single player that would be considered a reach, a major project, or that was coming off a significant injury? 

That takes real discipline, something we've lacked for far too many years.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I followed Keim's breadcrumbs on Daniels, while some others were accusing Keim of being a tool and said his sources dried up.  Betting on Keim usually works in my favor.:ols:

Sainstrill I liked early in the process and pushed him.  But then later I wondered if he was a scheme fit.

I wasn't thinking Newton at all but loved the pick when it happened.  Coleman wasn't on my radar among the 2nd tier tackles aside from commenting on and off that his athletic profile seemed perfect.

I wasn't super high on McCaffrey but love the dude now that I digested him and watched his interviews.

Jean-Baptitise actually was a mid-to late round edge I pushed on draft day and ranked him well on my edge rankings

I had a good feeling that a first round DL would be the best player at 36, but had absolutely no clue it would or even could be Newton. He had no business making it out of the top 15.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I had a good feeling that a first round DL would be the best player at 36, but had absolutely no clue it would or even could be Newton. He had no business making it out of the top 15.

Yeah I didn't watch Newton until an hour or so before the 2nd day of the draft started.  i did it because he was BPA in so many mocks. But otherwise I ignored the DTs for this draft.  So much time to watch and had to cut comething out. 

Watched a lot of the DEs, QBs, WRs, RBs, CBs, TEs.

Watched very little of the LBs, S, and almost none of the DTs.  

Was listening to Nagy on Sheehan's show yesterday and he was borderline giddy about this draft and especially high on Sainstrill, McCaffrey, Sinnott, Coleman,

• Like 1

Finally diving into some of our picks and I feel really good about the quality players we landed in round 2-3. That's the range Peters has been known to dominate. Looking at our rosters, there's reason to be optimistic that almost all of them will be immediate contributors (if not starters). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Peters said they don’t grade players by round. They grade them by the role they believe they will fill. Here’s an interesting exercise for you guys that did work on these kids. What role do you see each of them filling for us?

Daniels-Starting QB obviously. Hopefully 10+ year starter that can make All Pros and win an MVP or two.

Newton-Currently rotational DT. Eventual starter replacing Allen probably. Well above average if not Pro Bowl caliber player. Will be our best defensive player by the end of his rookie deal.

Sinnot-Current backup TE. Will be full time starter by mid season if not 2025 at the latest. Quality starter who makes a few Pro Bowls. Think Cooley 2.0.

Sainristil-Will man Nickel/slot for the next decade and be the best at that position.

Coleman-Currently developmental player. Hopefully eventual long term average at least starting LT. Could end up playing LG early too.

McCaffery-Will end up being the #3 WR after camp and be a reliable weapon in the slot and gadget/trick plays.

Rest are roster filler/ST guys.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I do feel some vindication :)

"The truth is, the Commanders, the two quarterbacks that they had in consideration at No. 2 were Jayden Daniels and J.J. McCarthy,"

That actually makes me feel worse about the competency of our FO, if true.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That is a lot. The only one I can speak to really is Sinnott.

To me, this draft had Bowers, the surprisingly athletic Sinnott, Jaheim Bell even if size afflicted, and then the guy whose always been #2 for a year but slipped a little in the predraft process in JT Sanders. If we were taking a TE, it was most likely day 2 or a trade down to early day 3 because the only guys worth taking after Bowers were Sinnott, Bell and Sanders, and Bell is a weird size dude. So them taking Sinnott was surprising in terms of how early, but not surprising in terms of who: if we took a TE this year, he was basically one of 2 guys it could be. 

Hampton and McGee are really interesting to me because both have weird profiled but really promising ones as well.

I don't know how to think of McCaffrey at all, Im very inclined to think it was incredibly stupid, but the measurables are exciting and as you like to mention, there's a narrative that could explain things (QB late convert to WR) and suggest he could be promising given a season or two to learn to be a professional big slot etc. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

When I looked at PFF's rating my eyes basically went like that truck drivers in Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

• Haha 1

I like McCaffrey. I think he’ll eventually become a solid contributor on offense in the slot and he also has value on teams & as a do-it-all / gadget player. Kid also had over 150 rushing attempts and almost 1000 yards (6 yds / att) in college.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I didn't watch Newton until an hour or so before the 2nd day of the draft started.  i did it because he was BPA in so many mocks. But otherwise I ignored the DTs for this draft.  So much time to watch and had to cut comething out. 

Watched a lot of the DEs, QBs, WRs, RBs, CBs, TEs.

Watched very little of the LBs, S, and almost none of the DTs.  

Was listening to Nagy on Sheehan's show yesterday and he was borderline giddy about this draft and especially high on Sainstrill, McCaffrey, Sinnott, Coleman,

Someone mentioned the jones fracture being a reason for the DT's drop into our lap. 

15 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The team that picked JJ McCarthy didn't even have JJ McCarthy over Drake Maye.  I find it hard to believe that we did.

It's so utterly asinine that it underlines why I don't view anyone as good at this, including Peters, hopefully we're just lucky. We deserve it anyway. No team has gone longer without drafting and developing a true franchise QB that mattered than us (Baugh). That being said, I do believe it's totally possible our board could be like that. Boards are always weird. The only thing for sure consensus is either all or nearly all had Caleb #1. After that, I definitely think there was disagreement. I'm a bit bitter we won that final weekend tiebreaker with New England to jump ahead of them, otoh, you fudge with that, and we probably end up 4 instead of 2 rather than 3 instead of 2, but yeah, its tempting as hell to have not jumped New England, and gotten the 3 and Maye instead, except there is a real possibility we would have done something very nutty instead of taking Maye. I don't think I'm wrong about Maye, but considering how bad New England is, and how stupid their 2nd rounder at WR was (Polk), I could totally see Maye looking like trash for a few years. At least they got Baker late, he could be a nice day 3 add, but good lord, Jaylynn Polk ahead of AD Mitchell, Roman Wilson, Troy Franklin etc. Just stupid (to me anyway). 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

It's so utterly asinine that it underlines why I don't view anyone as good at this, including Peters, hopefully we're just lucky. We deserve it anyway. No team has gone longer without drafting and developing a true franchise QB that mattered than us (Baugh). 

I hope we're lucky too.  I wanted Maye and still wish we had picked him, but I'm very glad that we picked Jayden instead of McCarthy #2.  It's a super negative hypothetical for me that I don't want to unnecessarily ponder.  We got a QB that has legit big play capability, and I don't have to worry about a scenario where that wouldn't have been the case.

I think franchise QBs are more made than found, and that's why I'm still optimistic about this build.  Guys like Jalen Hurts, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Brock Purdy, Jordan Love, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, even Patrick Mahomes were all made into franchise QBs by the situations they got drafted into.  None had the kind of can't-miss pre-cast greatness of a Lawrence, Luck, or Burrow where they were almost immune to situational instability (although the Bengals found a gem in Zac Taylor).  They got forged by their teams.  Excellent stability, excellent coaching, excellent culture, excellent supporting talent, and a sincere commitment to their development--all of that was necessary for them to be successful, and all of them would have been busts if they had they ended up in a place like DC during the time they came into the league.

Our hope is that the conditions here for developing a franchise QB are right this time.  Harris, Peters, and Quinn are all on the same timeline of the build, all on the same page about Jayden, and Peters and Quinn are 100% married to him.  They're going to do everything they can to make sure he works out.  If he doesn't, then it'll probably be due to injuries that are beyond our control at this point. 

Health provided, I think it's going to work too.  They made building a championship caliber defense a huge priority, and I think they are going to pull it off.  An elite defense is a big part of a QB development cradle, because it gives them the ability to make mistakes and go through growing pains.  Most prospects are not like a Matt Stafford or Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, where they can come in and be almost immediately competitive while running an expansive passing game and carrying the burden of their team's competitiveness on their shoulders.  Most QBs need a training wheels offense and the opportunity to get the ball back when drives stall or the ball gets turned over.  And all QBs suffer in development from playing uncompetitive football.  Being able to still compete at the highest level of the sport while running a limited passing offense is how guys like Roethlisberger, Brady, and Wilson got the very, very long runway to grow into future HoFers.  We still have a lot of work to do, but I think the foundation of our defense is outstanding.

• Like 3

I've talked about him in the UDFA thread.  This dude looks like he can play.

In theory at least feels Peters killed it in this draft.

20 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

They made building a championship caliber defense a huge priority, and I think they are going to pull it off.  An elite defense is a big part of a QB development cradle, because it gives them the ability to make mistakes and go through growing pains.  

Quinn turned a garabage Dallas defense overnight when he got there -- one draft-one season complete turnaround.

Feels like they will do it again.

Among being a poorly coached team, the odd thing about Rivera as to building his roster on defense didn't seem to care a heck of a lot about depth at certain spots.  This regime clearly does.  I suspect they aren't done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I hope we're lucky too.  I wanted Maye and still wish we had picked him, but I'm very glad that we picked Jayden instead of McCarthy #2.  It's a super negative hypothetical for me that I don't want to unnecessarily ponder.  We got a QB that has legit big play capability, and I don't have to worry about a scenario where that wouldn't have been the case.

I think franchise QBs are more made than found, and that's why I'm still optimistic about this build.  Guys like Jalen Hurts, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Brock Purdy, Jordan Love, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, even Patrick Mahomes were all made into franchise QBs by the situations they got drafted into.  None had the kind of can't-miss pre-cast greatness of a Lawrence, Luck, or Burrow where they were almost immune to situational instability (although the Bengals found a gem in Zac Taylor).  They got forged by their teams.  Excellent stability, excellent coaching, excellent culture, excellent supporting talent, and a sincere commitment to their development--all of that was necessary for them to be successful, and all of them would have been busts if they had they ended up in a place like DC during the time they came into the league.

Our hope is that the conditions here for developing a franchise QB are right this time.  Harris, Peters, and Quinn are all on the same timeline of the build, all on the same page about Jayden, and Peters and Quinn are 100% married to him.  They're going to do everything they can to make sure he works out.  If he doesn't, then it'll probably be due to injuries that are beyond our control at this point. 

Health provided, I think it's going to work too.  They made building a championship caliber defense a huge priority, and I think they are going to pull it off.  An elite defense is a big part of a QB development cradle, because it gives them the ability to make mistakes and go through growing pains.  Most prospects are not like a Matt Stafford or Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, where they can come in and be almost immediately competitive while running an expansive passing game and carrying the burden of their team's competitiveness on their shoulders.  Most QBs need a training wheels offense and the opportunity to get the ball back when drives stall or the ball gets turned over.  And all QBs suffer in development from playing uncompetitive football.  Being able to still compete at the highest level of the sport while running a limited passing offense is how guys like Roethlisberger, Brady, and Wilson got the very, very long runway to grow into future HoFers.  We still have a lot of work to do, but I think the foundation of our defense is outstanding.

I'm not entirely sold that these guys are made. Actually I'm not sold, though I acknowledge, some of your guys listed, fit that tag perfectly: Hurts, Prescott, in particular stick out as guys that were really suspect coming in. Prescott was lumped in with a tier of busts and they managed to avoid the guys they actually wanted that busted (Paxton Lynch, and then Michigan State guy the Raiders wanted: they had both of those guys ahead of Prescott, both got peeled off, settled for Michael Irvin's guy Prescot, and won), Hurts was more complicated: promising traits, but borderline broken as a thrower, and then turned into a legit passer....But other guys listed I just disagree with. Wilson was a stud, and a transfer, but he was drafted into a league where he was short, and a creator who relied on ahtleticism in a league that distrusted guys his size who ran around (a lot of bust dual threat guys in the later aughts, Locker had just busted etc), I think Purdy was Purdy, just nobody was sure if Purdy could be Purdy, I'm not sure what to think of Love, because I think he's really what he was: he was that arm, that athleticism and that inaccuracy, but there's also no arguing that he seemed to click on last year enough to be a usable starter with a really high ceiling...interesting. Allen, Lamar and Patrick were all ceiling bets to me, I'm sure coaching did some of that, but there was also a reason Allen was #1 on a lot of boards in '17, and Lamar was pretty high on some in '17, and Mahomes always seemed like a guy who was either a grand slam, or a fail, kind of like Daniels, not a lot of middle.

Interesting to think about...not sure....

I'm also not entirely sold on the idea that we were 100% about fixing the defense, I really do kinda think we were hitting the board, period, after the Daniels pick. We had needs everywhere so anyone was justifiable....

Seems like 36 was about sorting value: the best WR's were gone, so it was the best DB, best OL, or best DL, and we took the highest rated guy on PFF boards by far.

We trade down from 40 and it kind of makes sense, no OT goes between basically the late first and the late 2nd, so it does seem like they thought: We have WR needs, TE need, DB need, LB need, OL need, there will be guys on our board at 50, 53, and 67 in our current tier then, and they were right:

The DB they took may not have been tiered with the dude the Eagles took or Kool-Aid, but he was close to it, and we turned a 70something pick into 53 moving up 20 picks by doing it. So we peeled off the best available slot corner, best available athlete TE, and one of the next tier of OT's (after looking through the ranks its clear that Coleman was very much in the same tier of guys that started with Paul, and unlike a lot of them had positional versatility: a big thing for a team like us that needs everything beyond one guard slot and Center)....

So to me anyway, it looked like they were working their board and it fell too:

2 their fav QB

36 could not move up for OT, so took best player on board who happened to play D. If one of the WR's fal, do they go WR? I'd like to think Ladd would be considered, but with Ladd and the other guy gone, the DT or a DB made the most sense.

40 trade down: Clearly seems like they viewed this tier as lasting into early round 3, and worth moving down to get 3 instead of just 2. 

50 and 53: Take the best corner available that a ton of people liked, take best athlete TE available (and analytics suggests, betting on athleticism w/TE's gets you more hits than any other strategy) then grab

67: Guard who is in the same tier of guys who go between 55 and 79.

Seems like it was just: QB, then D, then D, then O, then O, then O, day 3 is mostly D (maybe all D? Can't remember), but day 3 picks are heavily tilted toward dart throws, what tells you the strategy is how they used day 1 and day 2 capital, the most valuable assets, and that was a TE, an OL, a QB, a WR, a DT and a DB. 

So for me, anyway, I think they were playing that draft music of best player available, and that's how the board fell.

There's things I like and things I don't or didn't, but I definitely can see the rationale for everything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

I

I'm also not entirely sold on the idea that we were 100% about fixing the defense, I really do kinda think we were hitting the board, period, after the Daniels pick. We had needs everywhere so anyone was justifiable....

FA was very dominated by defense.  The idea some of us talked about focusing on offense in the draft and defense in FA.  But they ended up drafting even more defenders.

• Like 1