Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think the sweet spot for OT is in the teens.

You’ve got the 6 top OTs (Alt, Fuaga, Fashanu, Fautanu, Latham, Mims), and while I wouldn’t want to be the team that reaches for any of them in the 5-7 range, I’d be extremely comfortable with all 6 in the teens. Some might consider that rich for Mims, but I think he’s the best talent of all 6 — it’s just a much more risky profile. Reminds a bit of the profile with Darrisaw and his back issue.

Where I think the value might become enticing again on OTs is with 78 or 100. At that point, I think guys like Blake Fisher, Roger Rosengarten, Javon Foster, Caedan Wallace, Dominick Puni, etc., start to feel like legitimate value bets. That seems like another sweet spot to me, and a much better play than trying to force it with Paul or Suamataia 40-60 picks earlier. 

I'd be quite happy with Yales Kiran Amegadjie. I get that he played in the Ivy league but he has tools and what I think is a very high ceiling. I feel he'd be a good get

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I'd be quite happy with Yales Kiran Amegadjie. I get that he played in the Ivy league but he has tools and what I think is a very high ceiling. I feel he'd be a good get

The thing about the O-line is that's where the smartest players on your team tend to be.  I think I remember a statistical analysis of wonderlic scores by position (whatever happened to the wonderlic?), and the top three positions were, in order: Left Tackle, Center, Quarterback.

Side note: Packers drafted J.C. Tretter out of the Ivy Leagues (Cornell) to play Center 11 years ago and he made a nice career for himself.  Eventually became president of the NFLPA.  Did too good of a job in that role and got black-balled by NFL owners so they could get rid of him.

13 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

The thing about the O-line is that's where the smartest players on your team tend to be.  I think I remember a statistical analysis of wonderlic scores by position (whatever happened to the wonderlic?), and the top three positions were, in order: Left Tackle, Center, Quarterback.

Side note: Packers drafted J.C. Tretter out of the Ivy Leagues (Cornell) to play Center 11 years ago and he made a nice career for himself.  Eventually became president of the NFLPA.  Did too good of a job in that role and got black-balled by NFL owners so they could get rid of him.

Didn't work for that MIT Guard on the Ravens. I don't think he made it to the end of his rookie contract.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Is Kiran worth taking at 36 or 40? I've seen him mocked in the 3rd round as well.

It's a bit early for my taste.  Maybe a trade down to later in the 2nd to grab him and pick up more ammo?

33 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Didn't work for that MIT Guard on the Ravens. I don't think he made it to the end of his rookie contract.

MIT's not Ivy League.  There's your problem.

• Haha 1

During his time in the NFL with the Baltimore Ravens, Urschel worked towards his Ph. D. in mathematics at MIT. While his teammates and colleagues knew he was pursuing a degree, they had no idea he was using his free time to publish six academic papers.

Ravens drafted him in the 5th round 2014

Here's a story on him:

https://news.mit.edu/2019/student-john-urschel-math-football-0515

Edited by DWinzit

I agree with the spirit of the point, not the hit on McConkey but Pearsall to me is close.  McConkey is the better YAC guy but Pearsall is a similar player aside from that.  Both excellent IMO.

10 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

There are a boatload of good WR's obviously, but I think Washington's WR Jalen McMillan is flying under the radar. He could be a nice get for us.

Agree.  I mention him on an off. As to the slot-combined Z types.  he's in that next tier to me, maybe tops after McConkey, Pearsall, Wilson.

Also in that tier IMO is @Koolblue13's guy Malik Washington.  Thrash might be a better slot in the NFL even though he was an outside WR in the NFL, he's really good too.

I love that 2nd tier and even third tier at slot this year.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Watching more Cole Bishop, he's like the McConkey for safeties for me this year.  Probably not the best safety in this class but my fav to watch.

Feels perfect for this scheme, he does everything, cover, plays in the box, has some ball skills, can rush the passer -blitz-- 7.5 sacks in college.  Plays with his hair on fire.

Sort of a mix between Chinn and Quan Martin who were also players I loved predraft.    I don't know if he woud be redundant but is closer skill set wise to Quan IMO than Chinn.

• Like 1

This is my WR ranking:

1 - Malik Nabers

2 - Marvin Harrison

3 - Rome Odunze

4 - Brian Thomas

5 - Xavier Legette

6 - Ladd McConkey

7 - Troy Franklin

8 - Keon Coleman

9 - Ricky Pearsall

10 - Jamari Thrash

11 - Roman Wilson

12 - Malachi Corley

13 - Ja'Lynn Polk

14 - Malik Washington

15 - Johnnie Wilson

16 - Tez Walker

17 - Jacob Cowing

18 - Xavier Worthy

19 - Jalen McMillan

20 - Adonai Mitchell

• Like 8

In terms of the Johnny Wilson discussion, I think he may fit best in a system that utilizes a big slot receiver like a Shanahan offense.   I think as an outside WR, he'll be okay against zone and gives a big target for the QB to look for.  Against man to man I don't think he will get separation but because of his size if you have an accurate and confident QB you can throw him contested balls.   But I don't think he is ideal if you want to utilize him to beat tight man coverage.  I think he could be a good big slot assuming he is able to use his size to be a decent blocker on outside zone runs.  The big slot in the Shanahan offense kind of operates as a hybrid TE/WR.

That said I am running a Shanahan offense and want a big slot, the guy I want is Keon Coleman.  I think he is fine as an outside WR and could be a solid 2, but his lack of athleticism places limitations on him outside, whereas I think he could be a very good big slot.  I am stealing that opinion from PFF.  On their podcast they talked about how a lot of his metrics were fantastic, but the one worrisome metric was he was only in the 30 percentile against press man coverage compared to other than draftable prospects over the past 10 years.  And a lot of that probably comes down to that 4.61 forty time he ran and his lack of ability to just run by people not giving him enough cushion.   But they though his skill set translated very well to big slot, much like a Cooper Kupp who only ran a 4.62 forty.  His short area quickness is better than his speed and he good contested catch ability, ability to catch over the middle, and good against zone defenses.  Because he is not small you don't think of Coleman as a slot, but he probably is a big slot in a Shanahan offense.

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

This is my WR ranking:

1 - Malik Nabers

2 - Marvin Harrison

3 - Rome Odunze

4 - Brian Thomas

5 - Xavier Legette

6 - Ladd McConkey

7 - Troy Franklin

8 - Keon Coleman

9 - Ricky Pearsall

10 - Jamari Thrash

11 - Roman Wilson

12 - Malachi Corley

13 - Ja'Lynn Polk

14 - Malik Washington

15 - Johnnie Wilson

16 - Tez Walker

17 - Jacob Cowing

18 - Xavier Worthy

19 - Jalen McMillan

20 - Adonai Mitchell

The things that sticks about that list to me is just how much lower you are on the Texas WR's than the consensus.

Edited by philibusters

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

This is my WR ranking:

1 - Malik Nabers

2 - Marvin Harrison

3 - Rome Odunze

4 - Brian Thomas

5 - Xavier Legette

6 - Ladd McConkey

7 - Troy Franklin

8 - Keon Coleman

9 - Ricky Pearsall

10 - Jamari Thrash

11 - Roman Wilson

12 - Malachi Corley

13 - Ja'Lynn Polk

14 - Malik Washington

15 - Johnnie Wilson

16 - Tez Walker

17 - Jacob Cowing

18 - Xavier Worthy

19 - Jalen McMillan

20 - Adonai Mitchell

I am thrilled to see someone else as high on XL as I am. He seems to have slipped some especially after he "shrank 2"" on many boards. As much as you like McConkey, I would have figured you'd have at least him over XL.

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

In terms of the Johnny Wilson discussion, I think he may fit best in a system that utilizes a big slot receiver like a Shanahan offense.   I think as an outside WR, he'll be okay against zone and gives a big target for the QB to look for.  Against man to man I don't think he will get separation but because of his size if you have an accurate and confident QB you can throw him contested balls.   But I don't think he is ideal if you want to utilize him to beat tight man coverage.  I think he could be a good big slot assuming he is able to use his size to be a decent blocker on outside zone runs.  The big slot in the Shanahan offense kind of operates as a hybrid TE/WR.

He definitely can't be expected to be a TE type but offers so much more than most other receivers. He would be killer in the red zone causing immediate mismatches as well. 

19 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

This is my WR ranking:

1 - Malik Nabers

2 - Marvin Harrison

3 - Rome Odunze

4 - Brian Thomas

5 - Xavier Legette

6 - Ladd McConkey

7 - Troy Franklin

8 - Keon Coleman

9 - Ricky Pearsall

10 - Jamari Thrash

11 - Roman Wilson

12 - Malachi Corley

13 - Ja'Lynn Polk

14 - Malik Washington

15 - Johnnie Wilson

16 - Tez Walker

17 - Jacob Cowing

18 - Xavier Worthy

19 - Jalen McMillan

20 - Adonai Mitchell

Mine is:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr - don't overthink this. He is the class of the class.

2. Malik Nabers

3. Ladd McConkey

4. Xavier Legette

5. Rome Odunze

6. Troy Franklin

7. Brian Thomas

8. Roman Wilson

9. Ricky Pearsall

10. Malachi Corley

Very different than a lot of people's. 

Most different is I don't understand the Brian Thomas love other than speed... and then I think Worthy is faster. Thomas just has more size. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The things that sticks about that list to me is just how much lower you are on the Texas WR's than the consensus.

I think they stink, but I can't leave them off my list because of how fast they are.  Worthy is a skinny straight line burner with no functional strength and no elusiveness and no ball tracking nor contested catch skill.  Mitchell is a diva WR without the aggressiveness that makes you put up with a diva WR.  He's the kind of prospect that will fall through the cracks in an NFL receiver room, but he'll get a chance because of his return skills.

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am thrilled to see someone else as high on XL as I am. He seems to have slipped some especially after he "shrank 2"" on many boards. As much as you like McConkey, I would have figured you'd have at least him over XL.

I think the consensus has fallen way too far on XL.  I still think he's a first round talent.  I see AJ Brown in his film, and I put him over Ladd even though Ladd is more skilled because he is so much more of a beast in his physical traits than Ladd.  At the end of the day, Legette is a 6'1 220 pound horse who plays like he is 220.  He runs as fast as McLaurin and has a 40 inch vertical.  He's a stud on contested catches and Spencer Rattler made life hard on him, and he always answered the bell despite getting the absolute hell beaten out of him all year.  He also has a great top gear that he can hit in the open field, and you're just not going to bring down a guy that powerful running that fast once he hits it.

The late breakout age is a concern, but the light bulb came on big for him this year.  I love his combo of pure toughness and aggression and speed.  I would love to get him at 36, and feel that he is just as good a value there as McConkey.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr - don't overthink this. He is the class of the class.

I like Nabers over Harrison because I think he's faster and more explosive.  I've had him over Harrison for a couple of months, but haven't posted my board in a while.

I recognize that Nabers had a big advantage at QB this year compared to Harrison though.  McCord sucked, and Harrison looked a lot better when Stroud was running the offense.  But Jayden was just erratic enough with his vertical pass placement to let Nabers show off how good his ability to adjust to throws in the he air is.

On my overall big board, I have Nabers #4 in the class, between Bowers at 3 and Harrison at 5.  I think he's a faster OBJ.

My WR rankings

Day One

Odunze

Nabers

MHj

Burton

Day Two

XL

Wilson

Franklin

Thomas

Ladd

Pearsail

Polk

Thrash

Day Three

Coleman

Rice

Corley

McCaffery

Malik W

Florney

I'm out on the Texas WRs and Wilson completely

Edited by Koolblue13
add Thrash
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

I like Nabers over Harrison because I think he's faster and more explosive.  I've had him over Harrison for a couple of months, but haven't posted my board in a while.

I recognize that Nabers had a big advantage at QB this year compared to Harrison though.  McCord sucked, and Harrison looked a lot better when Stroud was running the offense.  But Jayden was just erratic enough with his vertical pass placement to let Nabers show off how good his ability to adjust to throws in the he air is.

On my overall big board, I have Nabers #4 in the class, between Bowers at 3 and Harrison at 5.  I think he's a faster OBJ.

Bowers is getting slept on big time in this draft due to his position.  The Jets should run to the podium and take him if he's there at 10 over any of the OL. He's just a much better player than those guys are.  He isn't going past Indy at 15, that's for sure.

Heck, if I were Atlanta, I'd consider trading Pitts for a 2nd and taking Bowers at 8.  Use the two 2nds and two 3rd you have all on defense.

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

My WR rankings

Day One

Odunze

Nabers

MHj

Burton

Day Two

XL

Wilson

Franklin

Thomas

Ladd

Pearsail

Polk

Day Three

Coleman

Rice

Corley

McCaffery

Malik W

Florney

I'm out on the Texas WRs and Wilson completely

MJH 3rd. I find him Nabers and Odunze incredible studs. There isn't a lot of separation.

Dang, Coleman and Corley in the 4th round would be steals

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

MJH 3rd. I find him Nabers and Odunze incredible studs. There isn't a lot of separation.

Dang, Coleman and Corley in the 4th round would be steals

It's really close, I probably should of had him second. I think Rome did more with less as far as carrying a pass game. Marvin Harrison is a trash person, so I knock his kid for that, the way I elevate Rice and McCaffery. I don't know if Colemans game translates to the NFL, but it might. Wilson I don't think does at all. Corley I don't know about either. His size is off putting with his slow 40. If he got down to 200 and gained speed or grew 3 inches, I'd have him right there with XL, but right now I think WR3 is his ceiling and that's 3/4 range for me.

For our needs based BPA drafting, XL is #4 for me personally and if he's there at 36, I'd draft him in a heartbeat and give him a shot at WR1. Otherwise I really like Rice and McCaffery as project WR1s that can be had a little later.

If we're set at TMac at WR1, then most of the other small quick WRs can come in and battle with Dot for WR2/3

• Like 1