Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

The Commanders Wire 2024 NFL 7-round mock draft: 3.0 is one of the best I've seen yet though I doubt the availability of some where they're taken. Definitely pie in the sky'ish but this draft would be a game-changer for this team in my opinion.

Round 1, No. 2 overall: LSU QB Jayden Daniels

Round 2, No. 36 overall: Arizona OT Jordan Morgan

Round 2, No. 40 overall: South Carolina WR Xavier Legette

Round 3, No. 67 overall: Kansas State TE Ben Sinnott

Round 3, No. 78 overall: Michigan CB Mike Sainristil

Round 3, No. 100 overall: Yale OT Kiran Amegadjie

Round 5, No. 139 overall: Utah edge Jonah Elliss

Round 5, No. 152 overall: Michigan G Zak Zinter

Round 7, No. 222 overall: Auburn CB Nehemiah Pritchett

I'd take that draft home and proudly introduce it to my parents. I prefer Maye, but every single other pick is a home run and I'd bet that the player is BPA and meets need.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

The Commanders Wire 2024 NFL 7-round mock draft: 3.0 is one of the best I've seen yet though I doubt the availability of some where they're taken. Definitely pie in the sky'ish but this draft would be a game-changer for this team in my opinion.

Round 1, No. 2 overall: LSU QB Jayden Daniels

Round 2, No. 36 overall: Arizona OT Jordan Morgan

Round 2, No. 40 overall: South Carolina WR Xavier Legette

Round 3, No. 67 overall: Kansas State TE Ben Sinnott

Round 3, No. 78 overall: Michigan CB Mike Sainristil

Round 3, No. 100 overall: Yale OT Kiran Amegadjie

Round 5, No. 139 overall: Utah edge Jonah Elliss

Round 5, No. 152 overall: Michigan G Zak Zinter

Round 7, No. 222 overall: Auburn CB Nehemiah Pritchett

That would be an incredible haul although I'd go Maye. I'm assuming at least one trade down and a LB or S would be the additional selection

• Like 2

Just now, DWinzit said:

That would be an incredible haul although I'd go Maye. I'm assuming at least one trade down and a LB or S would be the additional selection

I'm not a Maye guy - on the record I'd take McCarthy & Daniels over him but the rest is excellent I agree. On Day 3, there are several Safety and LB prospects I like but Air Force's Bo Richter is growing on me. That dude is an athlete personified. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

That's such a good haul that even with Daniels I would actually be okay with it.

• Like 2

If I am trading our two second rounders to get back into the first round I think the guys I would consider are Brock Bowers, Olu Fashanu, Troy Fantanu, Laiatu Latu, Quinyon Mitchell.   I would also consider a lesser trade, maybe 36 and 67 to get into the late first round if a player like Amarius Mims.

Here a possible trade opportunity. You take one of the 2nd and 3nd picks and trade them for Aiyuk? 

Aiyuk want out to get a new contract. You have to pay him but you do have the cap room.  Peters and Dainels have worked with Aiyuk in the past.

I would say no with all the other holes on this team. We really need oline help and would even conduct moving back into 1st round for one,  but would think a trade for Aiyuk would have to be looked at. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

8 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm not a Maye guy - on the record I'd take McCarthy & Daniels over him but the rest is excellent I agree. On Day 3, there are several Safety and LB prospects I like but Air Force's Bo Richter is growing on me. That dude is an athlete personified. 

That's cool, I am not fully sold on any of the top 3. I am one that does believe in JJ and have thought for a long time that he deserves the considerations that he will be chosen on the top 5. I would not be upset if ended out with Washington but I think there would need to be a slight trade down. I do not see him worthy at 2. I did like Maye a little over Daniels.

There are a ton of LB and S's for day three that I like. I am not really familiar with Richter but wasn't able to do a deep draft dive this year so unfamiliar with most late day 3 guys. I am a big fan of Solomon and Williams at LB.

• Thumb up 2

Some of my draft takes at WR, T, CB, and Edge

WR:  I agree with the the top three consensus of Harrison Jr., Nabers, and Odunze.  The guy I am significantly lower on than the consensus on this board is Brian Thomas Jr. and it was the PFF NFL podcast that covinced me (link below).   Here are some worrisome stats on him--36% drop rate (meaning 64% of draftable prospects had a better drop rate than him).  The raw stat was his drop rate was slightly over 10%.  Yes, some of that is because he has a relatively high percent of downfield throws, but you compare that to other guys like Nabers, Odunze, and Harrison who also get a lot of downfield throws and they have better drop rates.   He has is the 97% for accurate passes.  That is the surprising stat.  Given how many downfield passes he gets targeted with, one would expect that to be below 50%.  And that speaks to Jayden Daniels accuracy.  But it also means his yards after the catch should probably be a little better and his drop rate a little lower.   I am definitely higher on Thomas than you Steve and Sam but I am definitely not trading both my second rounders to get him.  Two WR's I like maybe a little more than consensus or Ladd McConkey and Ricky Pearsell.  Both those guys are very much in play for me at 36 and 40.

T:  The Franchise Guy Youtube video on his top 10 tackles and an interview with Ramon Foster (the former Pittsburgh Steeler guard) on the PFF podcast are kind of driving my Tackle thoughts.  My first tier at Tackle is  Alt, Fashanu, Mims, Fuaga, and Fantanu.   I would probably rank them in that order.  I don't think Alt is ever an elite player.  I think he may be able to get beat with a power occasionally, but he is very technically sound and very high effort gives him the highest floor.  Fashanu has the best feet and could be an elite pass protector, but he has technique issues in both pass blocking and run blocking.  The pass blocking technique issues didn't kill him in college, but they will hurt him in the NFL and to become an elite pass protector he is going to have to clean them up and that likely won't be instantly.  His run blocking technique is bad and maybe the meaning/tenacity is not always there in run blocking and he is going to be a weak run blocker.   Mims has the highest upside of all the tackles in my opinion.  Size and great athleticism for his size.  Good tape.   Does give up some counter inside moves, but very high ceiling prospect.  After thinking about I would trade both of our seconds to grab him at 18 or 19.   I would also trade both our seconds for Fantanu.  His upside is not Mims, but he has the second highest floor behind Alt.  Very balanced player.  Only 6'3.5 but with 34.5 inch arms you not overly worried about the height and he has good feet.  Not a ton of power as a run blocker, but good athleticism and good tenacity as a run blocker. Fuaga strikes me a RT only and therefore I am less interested, but love his run blocking and decent pass protector.  Worth a mid first round pick.  Among the second tier guys, Blake Fisher is the one I think who is the most undervalued and yes I am taking that take mainly from teh Franchise Guys video, but I agreed with his reasoning.   I dug into his PFF profile to verify taht his play is solid over the past two season.  He just had his 21st birthday a few weeks ago.  Sub 5.2 forty time, 6'6 315 pounds, and 34.375 inch arms.  I think he should be in play at 36 and 40, though where I think he would be a great value is at 67.

Corner:  Like a lot of people I got Quinyon Mitchell first.  My second tier consists of Nate Wiggins, the two Alabama corners, and Cooper DeJean.  I think the order there depends on what you want.  Nate Wiggins is the high ceiling guy, who is film is good not great, and who has some injuries injuries.  The two Alabama corners are both good, but both are 4.5 guys, neither has great size, so their ceilings are probably not elite, and DeJean is probably best as a slot corner or safety.  If playing outside he has stiff hips and cannot close on routes great, so he is probably really only good outside if in press coverage.   Two guys that intrigue me or Kamari Lassiter and Andru Phillips.   From multiple sources he has good college tape.    But he ran a 4.65 forty which means he needs to play off coverage in the NFL.  His PFF GAS numbers (his in game tracking numbers) are better but not great either.  His limiting factor will be his athleticism.   Phillips is a well rounded corner with good, not great athleticism.  A 4.48 forty is not that impressive, but a good 10 yard split 1.51, good agility numbers, and good GAS numbers indicate he may have the athleticism to be a good man corner.  5'11 190 pounds. Decent, but not good PFF score this past season (72).  I am definitely interested in Phillips at 67 or 78.  Mike Sainristil is a guy I like and who is a viable option at 36 and 40.  I think he is a better prospect than Phillips, but I don't think he will be there at 67 and I think his best spot is slot corner rather than outside corner.  Our top two outside corenrs now are Forbes and St. Juste.  At slot we have a number of options including one (Martin) that I am still optimistic about, so I am not as high on Sainristil and probably wouldn't take him at 36 or 40.

Edge: I am a Latu guy.   That said of the guys who would be options at 36 or 40, Chop Robinson, Darius Robinson, Jonah Ellis, and Chris Braswell, I think all four are worthy of a pick at 36 or 40.  I like the two Robinsons the most of the four, though I suspect, neither will be there at 36 I am not sure either one are guys I would trade up.  That said if they are there are 36, they would be good picks.   Jonah Ellis has an amazing family pedigree with like 2 or 3 brothers in the NFL as his tape is good.  He faltered down the stretch, but he was playing injured down the stretch.    Braswell underwhelms me, but he balanced.  Between Braswell and Ellis it really depends on scheme.  At 246 pounds I am worried about Ellis size and strength against the run, but if its more of a 3-4 system, I think he is fine as an outside LB.  If playing in more of a 4-3 I prefer Braswell.  I think Booker, Isaac, Kneeland, and Trice would be viable options in the 67 or 78 spot.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

After a good bit of back and forth and analysis :), for me, Latham is the #2 OT in this class. 

I linked to TheFranchiseGuy video and he was a fan (See the 21:20 mark of the video).  Also Ramon Foster who talked very intelligently about tackle prospect wasn't as high on him.  He definitely has the size and strength.  I think his foot speed is bad and he chose not to run or do any of the testing at the combine or pro day so I think it likely wouldn't be good.  I feel like Mims is even bigger and way more athletic.  Granted Mims has a much smaller sample size as a player.  That said, Latham only recently turned 21, does have that amazing size and power, and had a 82 PFF grade last year and a 76 PFF grade as a 19 year sophomore so I don't have a problem with putting him #2.  For me though he would rank 6th, but 340 pounds, 35 inch arms, 21 years old with a decent sample size of good play, I see where you are coming from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I linked to TheFranchiseGuy video and he was a fan (See the 21:20 mark of the video).  Also Ramon Foster who talked very intelligently about tackle prospect wasn't as high on him.  He definitely has the size and strength.  I think his foot speed is bad and he chose not to run or do any of the testing at the combine or pro day so I think it likely wouldn't be good.  I feel like Mims is even bigger and way more athletic.  Granted Mims has a much smaller sample size as a player.  That said, Latham only recently turned 21, does have that amazing size and power, and had a 82 PFF grade last year and a 76 PFF grade as a 19 year sophomore so I don't have a problem with putting him #2.  For me though he would rank 6th, but 340 pounds, 35 inch arms, 21 years old with a decent sample size of good play, I see where you are coming from.

For me, it's Latham's ability to bend and get in position to strike and direct with his hands. He is elite in that regard for me. I also think he could slide over to the left fairly seamlessly. 

9 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Here a possible trade opportunity. You take one of the 2nd and 3nd picks and trade them for Aiyuk? 

I like how you think, but I'm hesitant to deal two picks for Aiyuk and then pay him unless he's the next Tyreek Hill which I doubt. We have big money committed to Terry and I just think we can grab a very good WR in the draft rather than going for Aiyuk. Just my opinion. If we could get him for just one of our picks then I may consider it but not for two picks. 

• Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, philibusters said:

Some of my draft takes at WR, T, CB, and Edge

WR:  I agree with the the top three consensus of Harrison Jr., Nabers, and Odunze.  The guy I am significantly lower on than the consensus on this board is Brian Thomas Jr. and it was the PFF NFL podcast that covinced me (link below).   Here are some worrisome stats on him--36% drop rate (meaning 64% of draftable prospects had a better drop rate than him).  The raw stat was his drop rate was slightly over 10%.  Yes, some of that is because he has a relatively high percent of downfield throws, but you compare that to other guys like Nabers, Odunze, and Harrison who also get a lot of downfield throws and they have better drop rates.   He has is the 97% for accurate passes.  That is the surprising stat.  Given how many downfield passes he gets targeted with, one would expect that to be below 50%.  And that speaks to Jayden Daniels accuracy.  But it also means his yards after the catch should probably be a little better and his drop rate a little lower.   I am definitely higher on Thomas than you Steve and Sam but I am definitely not trading both my second rounders to get him.  Two WR's I like maybe a little more than consensus or Ladd McConkey and Ricky Pearsell.  Both those guys are very much in play for me at 36 and 40.

Brian Thomas drop rate at least via PFF stats, is decent. 6.8% so I don't get them being down on them.  PFF has different guys doing draft takes and I know some of them are high on Thomas.  He is PFF's #4 WR on their board.  For example Marvin Haririson has a higher drop rate than that, 8.2%.  So not sure what higher drop rate they are referring to.  And that as you point out involves going deep a lot.  He has one of the highest rates of deep yards in this class.  By a mile the best stats as to catching go-post routes including the lowest drop rate of them.  So it must be some specific route that have issues with?

As for McConkey and Pearsall.  Tough to find many people higher on both of them than me.  Been on McConkey forever, if I had to my the top dude on my guys list he'd be it as for investing time pushing him. Pearsall not too far behind them.  Roman Wilson would be the next for me of that ilk type receiver.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, philibusters said:

Corner:  Like a lot of people I got Quinyon Mitchell first.  My second tier consists of Nate Wiggins, the two Alabama corners, and Cooper DeJean.  I think the order there depends on what you want.  Nate Wiggins is the high ceiling guy, who is film is good not great, and who has some injuries injuries.  The two Alabama corners are both good, but both are 4.5 guys, neither has great size, so their ceilings are probably not elite, and DeJean is probably best as a slot corner or safety.  If playing outside he has stiff hips and cannot close on routes great, so he is probably really only good outside if in press coverage.   Two guys that intrigue me or Kamari Lassiter and Andru Phillips.   From multiple sources he has good college tape.    But he ran a 4.65 forty which means he needs to play off coverage in the NFL.  His PFF GAS numbers (his in game tracking numbers) are better but not great either.  His limiting factor will be his athleticism.   Phillips is a well rounded corner with good, not great athleticism.  A 4.48 forty is not that impressive, but a good 10 yard split 1.51, good agility numbers, and good GAS numbers indicate he may have the athleticism to be a good man corner.  5'11 190 pounds. Decent, but not good PFF score this past season (72).  I am definitely interested in Phillips at 67 or 78.  Mike Sainristil is a guy I like and who is a viable option at 36 and 40.  I think he is a better prospect than Phillips, but I don't think he will be there at 67 and I think his best spot is slot corner rather than outside corner.  Our top two outside corenrs now are Forbes and St. Juste.  At slot we have a number of options including one (Martin) that I am still optimistic about, so I am not as high on Sainristil and probably wouldn't take him at 36 or 40.

Sainristil, nickle corner, one of my guys too for a long time.  I wish he was taller.  But what a baller.  Ex-Wr.  6 picks.  A leader.  Supposedly knows the opposing offenses like the back of his hand. At best playing zone according to PFF.  Would I take him at 36-or 40?  Maybe but I'd lean no. I know that's Sikemma from PFF's fav.

Jarrian Jones, nickle corner, a taller, poor man's version, 3 picks, with sick athletcism and excels at man according to PFF metrics could likely be had later in the draft -- 4th round range.

Corner feels deep.  I think I'd rather have an outside corner if I am taking one that early.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sainristil, nickle corner, one of my guys too for a long time.  I wish he was taller.  But what a baller.  Ex-Wr.  6 picks.  A leader.  Supposedly knows the opposing offenses like the back of his hand. At best playing zone according to PFF.  Would I take him at 36-or 40?  Maybe but I'd lean no. I know that's Sikemma from PFF's fav.

Jarrian Jones, nickle corner, a taller, poor man's version, 3 picks, with sick athletcism and excels at man according to PFF metrics could likely be had later in the draft -- 4th round range.

Corner feels deep.  I think I'd rather have an outside corner if I am taking one that early.

Each year I bring up one or two players that bring a smile to my face when I watch them. Their play is infectious. Last year I only had one, Ivan Pace. Dang what instincts and how the hell did we not take him in the 6th or 7th?

This year I have two, Fuaga and Sainristil. Love the way both play. Sainristil plays just like our coaches are looking for but I have a hard time disagreeing with you point that it feels like we need an outside corner more, especially that early. But...will those coaches feel that way as I'm sure his play puts a smile on their face too!  😁

• Like 1

Some of my favorite Day 3 DB's though insane testing probably propelled some of them a bit higher:

Ryan Watts Texas

Storm Duck Louisville

Daequan Hardy Penn State

Keni-H-Lovely Western Michigan

Mark Perry TCU

Shawn Preston Jr. Mississippi State

Patrick McMorris California

Carlton Johnson Fresno State

Jarius Monroe Tulane

Tarheeb Still Maryland

Chelen Garnes Wake Forest

Millard Bradford TCU

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I have been a Pro Daniels guy the whole time....but after getting through more than half of this video I have started to sour on him.  When watching the complete games the rhythm of his play is much smoother, but putting it in context while highlighting just his throws and decisions....I think he holds the ball entirely too long and is not overly accurate and he takes a ton of hits.

McCarthy looks really smooth but has the elongated release...to me that is his only issue.  I really like McCarthy and wouldn't be surprised if we trade back and get him.

Drake to me has a ton of potential and I do think he could be good but I think he needs a run dominant team to bring him along slowly.

I like Jayden but I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with a draft haul in a trade and selected Maye or McCarthy...with McCarthy being my choice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Each year I bring up one or two players that bring a smile to my face when I watch them. Their play is infectious. Last year I only had one, Ivan Pace. Dang what instincts and how the hell did we not take him in the 6th or 7th?

This year I have two, Fuaga and Sainristil. Love the way both play. Sainristil plays just like our coaches are looking for but I have a hard time disagreeing with you point that it feels like we need an outside corner more, especially that early. But...will those coaches feel that way as I'm sure his play puts a smile on their face too!  😁

I wonder if they zone in on an undersized zone corner who plays slot.  Maybe.  Love the player but it doesn't seem to scream the profile of what Quinn shoots for but i don't know.

Screen Shot 2024-04-15 at 8.01.58 AM.png

I just wanted to chime in, in favor of a move up for Brian Thomas if we draft Daniels. A core of Thomas, McLaurin and Dotson would be very solid for a rookie QB, and we’d have plenty of deep speed and tracking ability for Daniels. 

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Pace was a super early one for me last year.  And I tend to favor the ones am on early.   Laporta, DJ Turner were also amomg my early guys that draft.  Keaton Mitchell as a late round RB.  Quan was my last draft crush got into him a few days before the draft.  My late ones also stick with me.  I had more than them but those hit me as the early and late ones.

This year If I had to pick three I was on early:  McConkey.  But he's become like Laporta was last year by this time so cool, that it almost feels uncool but I liked McConkey before he became supercool. Sainristil would be another.  Jared Wiley would be another.  Blake Watson would be my version of Mitchell, in on him early.  Not saying they are my favorites in this draft.  But lol am partial to my primacy and recency desires.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Drake to me has a ton of potential and I do think he could be good but I think he needs a run dominant team to bring him along slowly.

I'm not sold on Maye but certainly cannot dismiss his long term potential as you stated and ability to iron out his deficiencies. My reservations about Maye go back months ago - way before any sort of negative criticism started to appear as it is now in some media outlets and analysts. I was also one of the first's to key in on Darius Robinson. I say this not to be braggadocious, but I do believe I'm fairly good at this stuff and trust my gut though evaluating QB's is obviously exceedingly difficult to do with any semblance of accuracy and there's a lot of other parts involved in whether or not they succeed. We'll see Dexter.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Thumb up 1