Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

So we pretty much have our starting IOL in place now. Still waiting to see if we address OT in some capacity in FA. I think Lucas could return as swing tackle.

However, a starting calibre OT is clearly a high priority in the draft. 

QB/OT seems like the nailed on first two picks doesn’t it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Hmm that's pretty awesome. Eight picks, including six in the top 100. I wonder if there is any way to get the one in the 4th and one in the 6th back too. I'm getting greedy now. Lol.

I would expect us to move about a fair bit in the draft. 

• Like 1

Guyton has bad film.  Mims has extremely intriguing film but barely played because he was hurt so much.  Paul has decent film.  Fautanu's film is OK, but surprisingly unimpressive for such an athletic prospect who is playing on a strong line with a star QB.  Amegadjie's film is a sweat less exercise in dominating tiny, slow competition.  Morgan has good film and he's a very good athlete.  Christian Jones has good traits but not very good film.  Barton has bad traits but very good film.

Haven't watched Suamataia or the Michigan tackle outside of his SB reps yet.  Morgan is on the edge of a quality cliff for me, and Guyton is on the other side of it.  Guyton is going to go in the 20s though.  He represents an extreme risk to me, and I'd rather bet on a guy with an injury history like Morgan or Mims than bet on a guy with bad film.  An inability to hold blocks gets me to move on from OL prospects because it's such a fundamental failure of playing the position and usually means the guy can't play.  It doesn't get easier for them at the next level.  Guyton reminds me of Jaelyn Duncan from last year, and I hated his film too.  Elite agility and size for the position, tantalizing one on one reps at the SB that show off special mirror speed/size, and film lousy with soft play and whiffed blocks.

Drafting OLs is one of the few blindspots for San Francisco.  Hopefully Adam Peters doesn't bring that struggle here.  Moving up to draft someone like Guyton would have me worried, with visions of Mike McGlinchey in the top ten And Aaron Banks in the top 50 passing through my head.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Guyton has bad film.  Mims has extremely intriguing film but barely played because he was hurt so much.  Paul has decent film.  Fautanu's film is OK, but surprisingly unimpressive for such an athletic prospect who is playing on a strong line with a star QB.  Amegadjie's film is a sweat less exercise in dominating tiny, slow competition.  Morgan has good film and he's a very good athlete.  Christian Jones has good traits but not very good film.  Barton has bad traits but very good film.

Haven't watched Suamataia or the Michigan tackle outside of his SB reps yet.  Morgan is on the edge of a quality cliff for me, and Guyton is on the other side of it.  Guyton is going to go in the 20s though.  He represents an extreme risk to me, and I'd rather bet on a guy with an injury history like Morgan or Mims than bet on a guy with bad film.  An inability to hold blocks gets me to move on from OL prospects because it's such a fundamental failure of playing the position and usually means the guy can't play.  It doesn't get easier for them at the next level.  Guyton reminds me of Jaelyn Duncan from last year, and I hated his film too.  Elite agility and size for the position, tantalizing one on one reps at the SB that show off special mirror speed/size, and film lousy with soft play and whiffed blocks.

Drafting OLs is one of the few blindspots for San Francisco.  Hopefully Adam Peters doesn't bring that struggle here.  Moving up to draft someone like Guyton would have me worried, with visions of Mike McGlinchey in the top ten And Aaron Banks in the top 50 passing through my head.

I think that is more of a Shanny thing than Peters to be fair.  The Shanny's have very specific OL desires.  They don't care about pass-blocking on drop back throws.  Only care about athleticism and movement.  Heck, Shanny only drafted one above average OL here (HOF Trent).  He had his busts too (Adam Gettis, Josh LeReibus) here.  I wouldn't necessarily correlate Peters with those picks because:  a). Shanny runs that organization and b). he has very specific wants for OL.  I don't think we're running anything like a Shanty-type offense with Kliff.

Regarding your OL assessments, I think Guyton is going to go early.  Latham & Fuaga are probably RT only types (maybe Fuaga could shift).  Mims has the injury concerns, but he's going to go in the relatively high (Dallas is his floor IMO).  Fashanu has the small hand size, but probably goes to NYJ at 10 because they are desperate for a LT and just traded for Morgan Moses to be their RT.  Guyton is a LT prospect with his athleticism.  He's going to go high in the teens IMO because he's a straight LT (could see him as high as 14 to NO because Penning has busted and they need a LT badly).

I think Fautanu is IOL all day and will be intriguing for someone like Seattle at 16 (although they probably want to trade back as they lack a 2nd rounder and lost first 3rd in the trade with us).

Morgan had a bad senior bowl apparently, but rumors are that we like him.  I think he's a first rounder for sure and SF probably snatches him up if he falls to 31 as he's a Shanny type athletic tackle for sure.   

Edited by mhd24

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know.  I got to really dive in more.  I knew last years tackle class much better.  i am getting there on this class.  In general though when the idea is to move a RT to a LT, I'd like 34 inch arms.

I spent a lot of time on Fashanu months back.  If he drops to the late teens-early 20s I'd trade up, small hands notwithstanding.  He's a work in progress in the run game but IMO he's strong enough in pass protect.  Fauga is my guy but he strikes me much more a RT.  They seem desperate for a LT. 

If they sign a LT like T. Smith I'd probably chance it and stick to the picks they got.   I like Patrick Paul as a project to develop at LT.  He should be there in the 2nd or later.  I do like Rosengarten and Christian Jones at RT.  Got to watch Blake Fisher. 

I haven't watched Latham, Mims or Fautanu aside from in real time in 2 of those players cases.

Couldn't find enough to watch Amegadjie

Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 8.10.36 PM.png

I'm positive that Fashanu's arm length measured in at 33 and 1/8 inches. Why am I now seeing 34 when looking it up in half the spots online? It's not like he was remeasured.

11 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'm positive that Fashanu's arm length measured in at 33 and 1/8 inches. Why am I now seeing 34 when looking it up in half the spots online? It's not like he was remeasured.

Don't know i've been pulling mine off of the RAS scores

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Guyton has bad film. 

Yeah I too have a hard time with Guyton, maybe the worst film in this first-2nd round group with Kingsley among the ones I watched the runner up for bad tape.  Looks the part at times, athletic, reminds me on that front like a more inconsistent Broderick Jones, but I think at a minium he'd get our rookie Qb killed in year 1.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know i've been pulling mine off of the RAS scores

Hmm, I've gotta choose a source to trust for his numbers. I think I'll wait for Bruglers beast before I commit to his arms being either short or OK.

His small hands fit better with his shorter arms, but people have odd proportions all the time so who knows.

35 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think that is more of a Shanny thing than Peters to be fair.  The Shanny's have very specific OL desires.  They don't care about pass-blocking on drop back throws.  Only care about athleticism and movement.  

In 2001, I was the smallest starting left tackle in NCAA football at 5’10”, 210 lbs. I could move a little back then though and we ran the Shanny ZBS.

• Thanks 1

Paul, 36 inch arms at pick 36. 5 starters from day two going into next season.

It's crazy that we can draft 5 guys on day two and not expect all of them to be instant impact guys. Our roster is going to get deep immediately. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

In 2001, I was the smallest starting left tackle in NCAA football at 5’10”, 210 lbs. I could move a little back then though and we ran the Shanny ZBS.

Wow! That is damn impressive S&S.

You must be one tough gutsy s.o.b.

What team did you play for?

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

Wow! That is damn impressive S&S.

You must be one tough gutsy s.o.b.

What team did you play for?

Greensboro College. It’s a small D3 school that has never had a winning season in the history of its program. I was not a great player. I just thought I wanted to be a coach and my frame of reference was that all of my coaches played college football so I thought I had to.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Greensboro College. It’s a small D3 school that has never had a winning season in the history of its program. I was not a great player. I just thought I wanted to be a coach and my frame of reference was that all of my coaches played college football so I thought I had to.

I admire people who overcome limitations.

You had guts and will, and those qualities will take anyone as far as they can dream in life.

Much respect.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's crazy that we can draft 5 guys on day two and not expect all of them to be instant impact guys. Our roster is going to get deep immediately. 

Peters isn't afraid to move around in the draft as we have seen with the Howell trade and SF's past history.  I like the moves in the 3rd round to be better positioned to pick the highest value in 2024.  Considering the depth at certain positions, picks 36, 40, 67, 78, and 100 are going to be interesting.  My guess is that bpa will mean a WR and CB somewhere in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Probably iOL.  We are all anxious about OT.  If it doesn't work out as we hope, perhaps year 1 of the rebuild will involve 2TE sets quite often.

• Like 1

Should I go to Koolblue's psychedelic mushroom draft party or Jumbo's psychedelic mushroom draft party this year?

I probably won't eat any on day two of the draft. Too important.  :ols:

Sinnott can play TE/FB/HB. Dudes a unicorn.

• Like 2

One thing I wouldn’t expect based on the number of 2nd and 3rd round pics, is a lot of movement down in the draft to accumulate pics in round 4-7. The general consensus seems to be that there is a drop off in this draft after around pick 100. 

If we trade up for an OT, I’d be happy to see us move into the tense and get Fuaga, if he’s available. I think he’s a 10 year plug and play RT. We may not be able to fix everything in one draft. 
Sign Tyron Smith and draft Fuaga and we could draft our long term LT in the first next year. 

Where is Xavier Legette’s natural spot? Is he an X?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I probably won't eat any on day two of the draft. Too important.  :ols:

Sinnott can play TE/FB/HB. Dudes a unicorn.

I gave you a like for the Sinnot part of this post. I thumbs down the not eating mushrooms part. All good though. Guess it's off to the Pacific Northwest for me then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I gave you a like for the Sinnot part of this post. I thumbs down the not eating mushrooms part. All good though. Guess it's off to the Pacific Northwest for me then.

Not eating mushrooms= micro doses.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

One thing I wouldn’t expect based on the number of 2nd and 3rd round pics, is a lot of movement down in the draft to accumulate pics in round 4-7. The general consensus seems to be that there is a drop off in this draft after around pick 100. 

If we trade up for an OT, I’d be happy to see us move into the tense and get Fuaga, if he’s available. I think he’s a 10 year plug and play RT. We may not be able to fix everything in one draft. 
Sign Tyron Smith and draft Fuaga and we could draft our long term LT in the first next year. 

Where is Xavier Legette’s natural spot? Is he an X?

I also wonder how interested the Chargers would be in moving out of the first.

• Thumb up 1