Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't look at it purely based on size.  But if I did that size feels more Z or slot than X.

He played more slot in UF both this season and the previous season especially.  I think he can play anywhere.  But if I had to pick a spot it would be slot, maybe Z.   

I agree. It's just his style that reminds me of Terry.

FWIW Terry should be an Z/slot and getting behind defenses more often.

I'd love to grab a large X chain mover (Hines Ward is my second favorite WR all time behind Monk) and a guy like Malik Washington for the slot. Who knows what Dotson is.

I feel like we only have 1 WR.

Also- I'm back on hillbilly island and have internet TV, not NFL network. Anywhere I can watch the combine?

17 minutes ago, Veretax said:

This is one of the reasons why I say picking up Mayfield or perhaps one of the other fridge quarterbacks is better for you because then you have the ability to trade out of the second round pick you up or take the best tackle right there. You can probably pick up a quarterback in the second to sit for a year or two behind somebody if you really wanted to I don't think they do that but I keep pointing it out if you can solve the quarterback problem by a free agency then you have so much more flexibility with all of those pics in the first three rounds

To each their own.  But to me (and I gather most fans judging by fan polls on twitter-talk radio) it feels like another ride on the merry go round of the last 30 years.  

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd love to grab a large X chain mover (Hines Ward is my second favorite WR all time behind Monk) and a guy like Malik Washington for the slot. Who knows what Dotson is.

Also- I'm back on hillbilly island and have internet TV, not NFL network. Anywhere I can watch the combine?

Hulu has nfl network on its live package 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To each their own.  But to me (and I gather most fans judging by fan polls on twitter-talk radio) it geels like another ride on the merry go round of the last 30 years.  

giphy.gif

I know and I really have no clue what this new group does so I'm trying to just be open to the change ready for new cheese whatever new cheese they put in front of us to eat. I'm willing to explore almost any move they make. But with the amount of money we have unless they can find a way to plug a lot of our holes it feels kind of stupid to deprive young players potentially that could be starters of playing time by signing a free agent ahead of them

14 minutes ago, Veretax said:

You can probably pick up a quarterback in the second to sit for a year or two

Of course you can. But the odds of any of the second rounders being Caleb or Maye are about close to zero imo. If we were picking middle of the round I would go your way. We have a chance to add a blue chip QB without wasting any draft capital to do it. We have to pick one of them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I started watching Malik, then stopped, I am going to get to him.  His numbers are good. 

May be an image of 3 people, people playing football and text that says 'BEARS Roddy White @roddywhiteTV don't understand why they drafted Justin fields in the first place this the first year u actually gave him a good wideout to throw to and that was successful. The Oline is below average run game is below average so u didn't help him but u gone draft another qb. Same situation'

We treated Howell like absolute trash last year. An OC/HC that had no business being in the NFL, no OL coach for a while and then made him throw more than anyone n the NFL.

Now, I don't think we do that to Maye, but the roster is empty. We're an expansion team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I started watching Malik, then stopped, I am going to get to him.  His numbers are good. 

Dudes a little ball of muscle and fun with the ball in his hands.

We don't have Hulu live here.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

May be an image of 3 people, people playing football and text that says 'BEARS Roddy White @roddywhiteTV don't understand why they drafted Justin fields in the first place this the first year u actually gave him a good wideout to throw to and that was successful. The Oline is below average run game is below average so u didn't help him but u gone draft another qb. Same situation'

We treated Howell like absolute trash last year. An OC/HC that had no business being in the NFL, no OL coach for a while and then made him throw more than anyone n the NFL.

Now, I don't think we do that to Maye, but the roster is empty. We're an expansion team.

We have like 25 players under contract. The roster isnt even half full. And you have one of the best talent evaluators in the league about to fill it. Last years team is a distant memory at this point. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm really not arguing against Maye. He's my QB1 and I totally get the value in that. If we pass and he hits, it's a huge miss for us and I get that.

You can't generally win without the QB is a fact.

I'm just saying that he isn't without warts. He's not a sure fire hit like Luck or Lawrence and this draft is so loaded that that 2nd overall has huge value in other ways.

It's our chance to load future drafts like the Bears, Dolphins and Eagles have in recent years. Bears are still bad, Eagles and Dolphins are now good. SD is still bad and they have the QB and a loaded roster. 

I guess I'm saying if we're looking at the future and a 3 year plan, the QB vs the team debate has merit because of the strength of this draft class.

If it was last year and the QBs were there and we were at 2 looking at these QBs, it's a no brainer.

I mean,  I guess the entire point I'm trying to sell is moot, because the owner isn't sitting in meetings if you're thinking about trading out of the first round. You're obviously taking the QB.

Celeb, Maye, Daniels as some draftniks have some are some of the strongest top 3 Qbs in one draft in eons.  I know not everyone agrees but when do everyone agree?

In all my years of paying close attention to the draft the only 2 can't miss have been is Luck and Lawrence perception wise.  But for my taste so what?  Look at all the QBs that have hit otherwise and many of whom are better than Luck was and Lawrence is now.

I am past getting excited that maybe we can get both Allen and Payne.  Or now we got Sweat and Chase.  Or Samuels and Jansen.  Trent and Moses and Scheriff.  We got Portis and Betts.  We got Terry and Dotson.  Or whatever talent permutation we've experienced in the past.  We've had some good rosters with bad Qb play and have been bad to so so.

Atlanta is loaded.  Good O line.  Good receivers.  Good defense.  Good o line.   So so team

I know you don't disagree that the Qb is key.  But just explaining that I am burnt out about getting excited about the roster and punting the QB to more of a wildcard or something down the road that we hope will work out somehow some way.

Reminds me of a scene in Maverick, where a pilot ragged on Rooster for always waiting for the pefect time to take that shot that moment which never comes. 

7 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

Thanks.  I did post it on the QB thread awhile ago, felt more relevant in that thread but it works here too

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Google “NFL Hunter” click on “NFL Network” then “Link 3” then close out all the annoying pop-up ads. Its working great 👍🏻 

• Like 2

Write up taken from some Lions related site :

Keon Coleman, Florida State (6-foot-3 14, 213 pounds)

The former Michigan State product may have turned some fans away with his 4.61 40-yard dash—the second slowest time of the wide receiver group—but for a team like the Lions that value GPS timing over the 40, Coleman is still likely high atop their wide receiver rankings. 

As the NFL Network broadcast brought up several times, NFL Rookie of the Year candidate Puka Nacua (4.57 40-yard dash) ran the fastest time in the “gauntlet drill” last year (20.06 MPH), illustrating how his GPS speed translates more than straight-line speed. 

This year, Coleman took home the honor of the fastest gauntlet time (20.36 MPH), the second fastest “go route” time (21.71 MPH)—behind only Thomas—as well as landing in the top four of several other categories Next Gen Stats GPS tracks.

Coleman’s game film points to his route precision needing to be cleaned up, but in on-field drills, you could tell he is working on that part of his game. While going full speed through the routes, Coleman stayed on course and covered ground very quickly. He got low into his breaks and showed explosion getting out of them. His length showed up in his stride and catching radius, and his hands looked very solid on the day as a whole.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gooseneck said:

How are either of these considered some hot scoop?  This is standard operating procedure in a draft where there are 3 top-tier candidates for QB.  I just hope we don’t trade down unless it’s for an RG3 sized trade up offering.  

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Mims hurt himself running the 40......Shocking. That is the problem with him. Dude is made of glass. 

Yeah, it is such a shame, dude is so talented

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like the best draft I've seen in ten years or so. Trading up for anyone feels so stupid.

I know I'm on an island on this and I'm probably wrong, but we have about 20 guys under contract and I know we should grab a QB at 2 (Maye), but there are warts on all 3 QBs and we could absolutely crush this roster with a ton of youth in this draft is we tarde out of 2, 36 and 40.

There are obvious starters in the 3rd, 4rth, 5th and on. We could sign a vet QB like Baker and draft half a roster and be very good.

There's going to be OL, DB RB, WR, everything available every day of this draft and we can load up on future picks for when Archie comes out. 

Hell, Howell and Penix with a well built run first offense and dominating defense will get us to the playoffs. 

I know Maye at 2 is the call we're supposed to make, but we're in a bare bones rebuild right now, with a patient owner and solid GM that has preached patience. I think we're a playoff team next year regardless, just from our all star coaching staff.

The talent in this draft from 40-120 is bonkers and I can't look away from it and our roster is empty. We're an expansion team essentially. I'm high on Maye and Williams and JJ, but it's not like they don't have legit knocks on them. Maye is a big Howell. I'm guessing it' having the same coaches, that they have the same issues.

I want 20 picks between 40-120 and a first next year. I'm having trouble moving off this line of thinking, even though I know "you take the QB". It's just such a unique situation for us to be in. The HOG is good with the slow build and wants a dynasty and that #2 has such value going forward.

It's like every single thing has lined up perfectly for us to build a completely new team from scratch (yes I know it's worthless without the QB, but Herberts team sucks and Purdys is great)..

I know I'm probably wrong, but I can't move off this. This draft is so stacked.

My simple response would be—you think we’re a complete rebuild (an expansion team even!) but you also think we’re making the playoffs anyways because our coaching staff is so good. 

So…just get the QB and trust the coaches to develop him into a stud. If in your mind we’re a Wildcard team in year 1 with a young rebuild roster because of our coaching staff…then let’s aim higher and slot in the QB now, get this coaching staff to coach up our remaining draft class, FA haul, and UDFA haul. Shoot for ceiling, not floor. Just do the obvious thing and get the QB and let the coaches get to work. 

If a great coaching staff can drag a rebuilding roster to the playoffs, maybe, then that same great coaching staff with a good QB prospect can get you to the Super Bowl, eventually. 

You say this is a draft that has starters through the 4th and 5th rounds. Cool, trade back with one of the 2nds and have the best of both worlds. But get the damn QB. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

Man there's gonna be some baller OTs in the 2nd.  Probably 10 guys who would be good value at our 2nd round picks, so odds are awesome there's gonna be a couple of them left there.

Here's to hoping all 6 QBs go in the first, push those dudes down baybeeeeeee.

Edited by DogofWar1