Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Marshawn Kneeland, poor man's Darius Robinson?  6 '3, 275.   Robinson is 15 pounds or so heavier but comes off quicker.

But like Robinson, big dude, with a big time motor, heavy hands, comes off to me as a power rusher.  Sets the edge well.  In the 2 games I watched they moved him around, left, right, inside.  Rushed with his hand sin the dirt and standing up -- on that front reminded me of how Dallas uses Parsons even though they are very different players styistically.

Not the quickest first step.  Robinson to me is more of the power-speed freak, not Kneeland. 

I think his superpower is his strong hands and looks like super strong upperbody and can power past blocks, sheds blocks really well when he adjusts from rushing the passer to stopping the run.  As a run stopper i like him a lot.  Hustles and hustles including chasing runners down field.  Hips seem a little stiff as does his upper body.  Bend is just OK.

But plenty of talent in the hands of a good D coach.  good get IMO in the early 3rd. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nubin sure feels like a player in Quinn's wheelhouse. He also looks good in burgundy and gold!

The big board you  just posted  shows just how incredible the top of the WR class really is.

Mitchell almost  breaking  the top 10 now, he did himself a solid at the Senior Bowl. To me he was the best player all week by a margin. 

Alt  is a player that I can't wait to see where he is selected.I can see a world where he is not top 10 for sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Nubin sure feels like a player in Quinn's wheelhouse. He also looks good in burgundy and gold!

The big board you  just posted  shows just how incredible the top of the WR class really is.

Mitchell almost  breaking  the top 10 now, he did himself a solid at the Senior Bowl. To me he was the best player all week by a margin. 

Alt  is a player that I can't wait to see where he is selected.I can see a world where he is not top 10 for sure.

Yeah centerfielder, ball hawk, post safety type -- important in a Cover 1 scheme 

• Like 1

There’s nothing new to print for the next 2.5 months if everyone just agrees moves like that are stupid. You’re going to keep seeing it because it’s something to talk about. It’s going to be an exhausting 2.5 months if you actually care what mock drafters think will get them clicks, just gotta let it roll down your back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I need an absolute haul of epic proportions if I'm gonna move down from 2 to outside the top 10. I'm talking Ricky Williams type trade x 3. Like 2-3 entire draft classes worth. And that's just to pick up the phone.

Trading down from 2 to 10 (net) is a big change in value considering that the top 2 QBs are likely to be picked 1 and 2.  The swap of 2 for 10 is worth the second-round pick in 2024 + the first and second round picks in 2025 plus probably the first-round pick in 2026.   Maybe some swaps in the lower rounds, e.g., my 4th, 5th, 6th for your 3rd, 4th, and 5th.  It all depends on the negotiation.  Will Drake Maye live up to his billing?  Sometimes these generational talents turn out to be Trevor Lawrence (good so far but not Peyton Manning-good).

If there are no trades out of #2 then it's fairly safe to assume a QB.  My guess is that Peters will then want to keep his second round picks to shore up the roster rather than trading to move up from the second round to the first round.  Looking at projected first round players is great but not really in the cards except to guess which ones will fall into the top of the second round.  There are always some that do not go as highly as the mocks.     

16 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

If there are no trades out of #2 then it's fairly safe to assume a QB.  My guess is that Peters will then want to keep his second round picks to shore up the roster rather than trading to move up from the second round to the first round.  Looking at projected first round players is great but not really in the cards except to guess which ones will fall into the top of the second round.  There are always some that do not go as highly as the mocks.     

I was in favor of trading back into the 1st using a 2nd and 3rd but I think now we can probably get a quality OT at 36. I really wanted JPJ to man down our C spot for the next decade and let him grow with our new QB but I'm actually hearing he might go somewhere in the teens.

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I was in favor of trading back into the 1st using a 2nd and 3rd but I think now we can probably get a quality OT at 36. I really wanted JPJ to man down our C spot for the next decade and let him grow with our new QB but I'm actually hearing he might go somewhere in the teens.

I’m still in favor of moving back in the first for an OT or WR. I’d be just as happy if we stayed put and got someone like JPJ assuming he makes it to 36. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I need an absolute haul of epic proportions if I'm gonna move down from 2 to outside the top 10. I'm talking Ricky Williams type trade x 3. Like 2-3 entire draft classes worth. And that's just to pick up the phone.

Justin Fields is gonna have a lot to say with how this draft plays out, even though he won't have a say in it. What if Kingsbury likes Fields and the Bears covet our #2 pick....who's to say something like this doesn't happen:

Bears get Commanders #2 overall, 2025 4th. 

Commies get Bears #9 overall, Justin Fields, Bears 2025 1st, Bears 2025 3rd. 

If Washington did this deal, they could then move up in the draft or back while having Fields as the QB in Kingsbury's offense, a cross between Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson. 

I'm not advocating for this but it's a very nice haul for the #2  pick. Maybe the Bears want MHJ so bad that they do a deal like this? 

Peters then has tons of picks to play with and two young QB's (including Howell) to let his coaches play with for a year. 2025 has two 1st round picks to play with like the Bears have this year. Just imagine what Peters could do with the #9, two seconds, two thirds and two firsts next year plus two third round picks. 

Sure the risk is that Maye or Daniels becomes a stud and Fields bombs but history shows that's unlikely. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Justin Fields is gonna have a lot to say with how this draft plays out, even though he won't have a say in it. What if Kingsbury likes Fields and the Bears covet our #2 pick....who's to say something like this doesn't happen:

If Washington did this deal, they could then move up in the draft or back while having Fields as the QB in Kingsbury's offense, a cross between Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson. 

I'm not advocating for this but it's a very nice haul for the #2  pick. Maybe the Bears want MHJ so bad that they do a deal like this? 

Peters then has tons of picks to play with and two young QB's (including Howell) to let his coaches play with for a year. 2025 has two 1st round picks to play with like the Bears have this year. Just imagine what Peters could do with the #9, two seconds, two thirds and two firsts next year plus two third round picks. 

Sure the risk is that Maye or Daniels becomes a stud and Fields bombs but history shows that's unlikely. 

"ton of picks" is really one mid to late first next year and fields though. sounds like a great deal for the bears to get mhj and pawn off their qb that they dont need anymore needs a contract

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, dunfer said:

"ton of picks" is really one mid to late first next year and fields though. sounds like a great deal for the bears to get mhj and pawn off their qb that they dont need anymore needs a contract

It's hypothetical, but getting two 1sts, a 2nd and a third plus a young QB with potential to be coached up is a pretty good haul. Again, it would all be what Kingsbury thinks he could do with Fields and how much he likes/loves him as his QB? No telling what the Bears pick will be next year with a rookie QB...could be Houston this year or Carolina?

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Marshawn Kneeland, poor man's Darius Robinson?  6 '3, 275.   Robinson is 15 pounds or so heavier but comes off quicker.

But like Robinson, big dude, with a big time motor, heavy hands, comes off to me as a power rusher.  Sets the edge well.  In the 2 games I watched they moved him around, left, right, inside.  Rushed with his hand sin the dirt and standing up -- on that front reminded me of how Dallas uses Parsons even though they are very different players styistically.

Not the quickest first step.  Robinson to me is more of the power-speed freak, not Kneeland. 

I think his superpower is his strong hands and looks like super strong upperbody and can power past blocks, sheds blocks really well when he adjusts from rushing the passer to stopping the run.  As a run stopper i like him a lot.  Hustles and hustles including chasing runners down field.  Hips seem a little stiff as does his upper body.  Bend is just OK.

But plenty of talent in the hands of a good D coach.  good get IMO in the early 3rd. 

Kneeland's senior bowl measurements:

Hands = 9.125 inches

Height = 6'3.0

Weight = 268lbs

Arm Length = 34.0 inches

Wingspan = 83.38 inches

Arm length is good and wingspan is great. He's surprisingly wide, as in of the 141 Edge rushers with Wingspan measurements, he's wider than 130 of them. (Seems to be only a recent measurement taken). ...holy crap, there are a lot of wide Edge's recently drafted by the Cowboys. They've got 3 of the 14 widest Edge guys, and they drafted them in the 3rd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. You have to wonder if that means Kneeland is going to be higher on their draft board than you expect.

Guys with wingspans near Kneeland:

Osa Odighizuwa - solid player, converted to a 1 gapping 3Tech (I think) by Dallas

Brian Burns - great player

Gregory Rousseau - solid player, Bills fans seem to like him

We can't compare Kneeland to Robinson, as Robinson's measurables profile more as a unicorn while Kneeland's is more average except for his large wingspan.

Robinson is 18 lbs heavier, .625" longer arms, 1.125" larger wingspan, 1.375" larger hands. He was a converted DT after all.

I want to watch more of Kneeland, but my kneejerk reaction is the same as you. Could be a good target in the 3rd round. He might be kind of like DeMarcus Lawrence after he gained 20 pounds to play stronger. Just a stout Edge setter, can collapse the pocket, and will make the pass rush as a whole a bit better even if he doesn't rack up the stat sheet.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

It's hypothetical, but getting two 1sts, a 2nd and a third plus a young QB with potential to be coached up is a pretty good haul. Again, it would all be what Kingsbury thinks he could do with Fields and how much he likes/loves him as his QB? No telling what the Bears pick will be next year with a rookie QB...could be Houston this year or Carolina?

i read your post as swapping 2024 2nd for their 9th and getting a 25 1st and swapping 25 4th for their 25 3rd. didnt see anything about a 2nd.

Bears getting Caleb and MHJ plus pawning off Fields....for a mid 1st in 2025 at best would be Kevin Costner worthy imo

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

That’s horrendous value even if you love Justin Fields (and nobody loves Justin Fields) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Justin Fields is now the favorite to land in Pittsburgh. I think them dropping Mitch Trubisky signaled that they would likely be picking up or in the market for another QB and there's a video floating around of Tomlin ans Fields talking and joking on Fields pro day. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I watched Marshawn Kneeland cut ups after I liked what I saw from his Senior Bowl one on ones, and I thought he kinda sucked.  Reminded me not to go overboard on those drills and take too much away from them.  Every year I have to find this out again.

My takeaway is that he is big for an edge but isn't a real swing DL that can play a bunch of snaps inside.  His first step looked pretty bad, and he isn't particularly powerful nor good at shedding and finding the football.  No twitch, bad flexibility, and not a ton of skill.  There were a couple of nice looking reps where he made plays on the ball, but mostly he just got sealed off from runs and didn't really even come close to getting to the QB.

He's just a guy who doesn't really shine in any way, and his production stunk.  Disappointing given his PFF grades are fantastic and his senior bowl week was good.  I think he's a day three bottom of your edge rotation guy.  I'm going to keep searching to find DL gems.

• Like 1

My combine watchlist, excluding Caleb Williams as he’s my #1 prospect anyway…

QB

Jayden Daniels

Drake Maye

JJ McCarthy

Bo Nix

Kedon Slovis

RB

Trey Benson

Jonathon Brooks

Blake Corum

Dillon Johnson

MarShawn Lloyd

Jaylen Wright

WR

Malachi Corley

Troy Franklin

Adonai Mitchell

Ja’Lynn Polk

Tahj Washington

TE

Erick All

Ja’Tavion Sanders

Ben Sinnott

Cade Stover

OL

Graham Barton

Cooper Beebe

Troy Fautanu

Zach Frazier

Taliese Fuaga

Matt Goncalves

Jackson PJ

Sedrick VPG

Zak Zinter

DL

Jonah Elliss

Cedric Johnson

Javon Solomon

LB

JD Bertrand 

Marist Liufau

Gabriel Murphy

Payton Wilson

DB

Kamren Kinchens

Kamari Lassiter

Sione Vaki

James Williams

K - I actually think there are 2/3 viable options to take a kicker…….

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1